⭐ Gemstone & Mineral Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of hours at Grabben Gullen yesterday -- found a nice spot :)

1430089422_image.jpg

1430089208_image.jpg

1430089209_image.jpg

nice mate ,was the water high ,i was going but the rain scared me off over the weekend

Varts said:
nice mate ,was the water high ,i was going but the rain scared me off over the weekend

The water was only a little up on what it was three weeks ago when I was there, maybe 3-4cm deeper but definitely not what I thought after the rain we'd had in Sydney and the swollen rivers heading out there. It seems as though they've missed most of the heavy rain. It was a bit cold first thing but Sunday actually turned into a nice day for digging, even the water temp wasn't too bad. Not sure how long that'll stay good for though, it's starting to cool off big time.

Hamish said:
Varts said:

The water was only a little up on what it was three weeks ago when I was there, maybe 3-4cm deeper but definitely not what I thought after the rain we'd had in Sydney and the swollen rivers heading out there. It seems as though they've missed most of the heavy rain. It was a bit cold first thing but Sunday actually turned into a nice day for digging, even the water temp wasn't too bad. Not sure how long that'll stay good for though, it's starting to cool off big time.

Some good stones....the big one at GG is there....... I heard a 30 carat was taken near the bridge, hard to believe but told by the farmers son so maybe he was telling the truth. Some good times to be had.

Hey Varts,
Your recent stones look awesome, the green looks so fresh you could almost eat them. The other astonishing thing is you photography, brilliant work, any tips you could share?

Varts said:
30 ct wow ,I did not think they came that big :D
Was it of gem quality twapster?

Straight from the farm boys mouth, plenty of bombs that big so I don't think he would have mentioned it if it wasn't a good one!

I heard that someone got a 50ct stone from under the bridge a few weeks back, that was a story from a fellow prospector so it could have been trumped up from the 30ct the farmers son mentioned.

Varts are most of your sapphires from further north or do you head out to Grabben Gullen too?

thanks guys ,i love the camera and the stones ,and even bombs have massive character when photos are taken close and clear.you can also zoom right in and study the gems ,a bit easier than a loope.GG is such a pleasant place to unwind and I have had some really good times there.The people i have met there are also sweet.We just need to remember to do the right thing out there so generations can enjoy, it is not hard to keep the place clean ,and if we all do this the good guys will take there rubbish only.The last few times i have been i bring home a couple of bags of rubbish from others ,I dont mind but is a bit sad!
Most of my saphs are GG,but i have spent a fair bit of time at sapphire bend.A few trips to Inverell .Idid not make it to rubyvale at christmas as planned but there will be a sapphire crawl soon ( bingra,inverell,copeton, sapphire),

I use a sony cybershot cam,but the macro is not the best ,place a loop 20x in front ,hard up against the lens with different light and different light angles ,many pictures taken .Then I zoom in and crop out the ugly ones .For me the Gems look better in pics than in a ring..

If you see a fat fellow with glasses,fully clothed neck deep in ice cold water with black berry scatches all over, at GG ,come and say Gday ,there is a good chance it will be me. ;)

thannks and happy digging

Was that you I met there one time Varts? Whoever it was tossed me a Sapphire bomb and I dropped it in the creek :) , must have been a bit longer than a year ago if it was you.

Would be great to have a dig with you sometime at Inverell if we are there simultaneously. The stone in your avatar, is that from Inverell?

no i dont recall heatho.
thats my GG super baby blue,its clear blue on clear blue.
i have gave a few away at GG to beginers.
:)

Must have been someone else mate, was a good butter fingers though, bloke tossed it to me for a closer look and it just went plonk, straight back in the drink, lol. We both just looked at each other and chuckled.

Mmmmm Blue on Blue, gotta be happy with that. :)

no water level is normal great time now not to hot just right found myself nice stone on last trip good luck varts :)

If this rain keeps up tomorrow I will get to GG hopefully Friday
Send it down hughy :lol:

Latest posts