White mxt issue

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been testing the machine in coin & relic, for some reason it has begun to misidentify my threepence. The mxt use to register the threepence in the 70+ range, now it thinks it 4+ foil. What the heck is going on there?

Cheers eve

Give Goldsearch a call, and explain the issue, they are usually very helpful. Is it still under warranty?

I am second owner but was told it's only 3 moths old, so will get everything together to get onto them

This is the second thread that I have read today about this problem, there mus be something going on with the compound of the coin,

john

Have you or can you get another theepence from a different year to test against?

I've tested a 1876 and a 1901, I think I've worked it out, using the small dd it registers it in 70+ range but tracks it out real quick and then thinks foil. I swapped over to the 300 whites coil and if I swing slowly and accurately enough it seems to have a sweet spot registering it at 70+ Right where the 300 is at the top of the coil. It mush be these thinner older coins, who knows.

Cheers eve

Is it the same 3p?
My theory is due to size, varying content etc, each 3p can show variations.
Some detectors are set to coin size objects so the conductivity/signal can move around on smaller objects/coins.

If you are going to do Air tests with the MXT make sure you put the Ground balance in LOCK/Fixed or it will track out the coin remember that the MXT can track out the Ground with just 1 or 2 pumps of the Coil, So you may experience getting low/wrong numbers or No numbers at all.

hope this helps,, John

Ridge Runner said:
If you are going to do Air tests with the MXT make sure you put the Ground balance in LOCK/Fixed or it will track out the coin remember that the MXT can track out the Ground with just 1 or 2 pumps of the Coil, So you may experience getting low/wrong numbers or No numbers at all.

hope this helps,, John

Thanks ridge, the machine isn't really running any differently but good to know

eve0001 said:
Ridge Runner said:

hope this helps,, John

Thanks ridge, the machine isn't really running any differently but good to know

The MXT won't usually track out larger coins but it might on tiny bits, I wonder if the coin is made up of separate metals and it is picking up the lesser metal, Try dropping the coin in water before you test it because the coin might be breaking up inside and the water might have an effect,

good Luck,, John

Got a better reading today on my threepences, waited til I got outside to turn the unit on then scanned the 1876 and 1901, they where both coming in at the 25+ range and the detector said they where either 5c pieces or a ring. Much better result, and really encouraging for next time I go out.

Cheers eve

Latest posts