New Zealand Ruby Rock

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gidday chaps, Here are some photos of something truly special- New Zealand's' very own gemstone / rock. Its known as goodletite by the Geologists and Ruby Rock by most other folk. It is comprised of ruby, sapphire, a green mica along with minor tourmaline and chromite. Goodletite is found only in New Zealand in a small area near Hokitika. The photos are of what are known as doublets made from a thin slice of ruby rock with a glass cover glued on. The slices are thin to allow light to pass through the rock and reveal the colours of the minerals. The glass provides strength and allows you to see the stone better. Doublets are commonly also made from opal.
1459114359_imga0985_-_copy.jpg

1459114359_imga0986_-_copy.jpg

1459114359_imga0988_-_copy.jpg

1459114359_imga0989_-_copy.jpg

Very nice!!! :)

On a visit across the ditch, I was surprised to hear that there seems to be very little in the way of gemmy stuff in NZ. This struck me as strange since most things gemmy have igneous origins and NZ is pretty heavily vulcanized. I would have thought there would be plenty of stuff for rockhounds to chase. Can you tell me any more about this 1864hatter?

Beautiful cabbing material there anyway. I can imagine that set in a nice pendant or ring. Wouldn't it be nice if among the spot that produces that material, there were some loose rubies and sapphires of facetable size and quality? :)

Thanks for all the relies guys. This is a link to a site where you can download two articles about ruby rock. This should explain a few things. They are the third and fourth articles down the list.

Ok I cant post links, google it yourselves.

The Goodletite form of Ruby Rock, named after Mr William Goodlet, who brought the stone to the attention of professors at Otago University, is New Zealands only precious stone

The owners of the Back Creek claim were directly informed of the nature and value of their discovery and of the probability that rubies that may be of some value in jewellery could be obtained during the gold washing process. However, no ruby finds were subsequently reported. Ulrich optimistically concluded that "....it does not lie outside the bounds of probability that a hardy prospector may some day in these ranges [the Southern Alps] discover the place of derivation of the ruby boulder, where really valuable stones are likely to be hidden".

To date, no such discovery has been made.

I find this to be really, really weird. New Zealand has seen it's fair share of volcanic activity and continues to. I would have imagined the place to be a potential treasure trove of gemmy things :/ .

It does, but when a place has seen so much activity it's still a bit surprising. All volcanoes draw up and spew out a chemical cocktail in the magma.

Latest posts