Aboriginal or convict stone tool

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Very nice :D
The aborigonal ones i have seen before ,have been more of a cross between an easter egg and a bar of soap in shape. But that is a great find 8) ,be it convict ,aboriginal or even a inovative farmers tool.

Grabben Gullen is actually aboriginal for "place of many waters" and it is said that family groups used to pass through seasonally on there way to the coast.

Imagine ...if that is an aboriginal tool , and it sure seems likely, in all probability it is thousands of years old
What an awesome find :p

Lucky it wasn't metal !
That could upset the apple cart !
Leave a taste in the mouth like a goat turd in a malteezer box for some ! :p
Nice find Pegleg, the last owner probably cut himself and threw it aside in pain ,... or just never made it back to the same spot again ,... full on to imagine that through time a tool like that could have sat unused many times for a thousand years or more, and when found be put to good use again with little refurbishment. :D

Looking at my book it could be a percussion stone ( used to hit chips from rock, knapping tool), stone axe or chisel. II'd say the latter, most probably or mabey axe for felling small trees...lol

Chisels:
1458857425_14588573707250.jpg

My 1st thought was stone axe too but showing it to a butcher friend he picked it up like im holding it in the picture straight away and it fits so well with the thumb groove and curving to the palm and fingers And the sharp end is right where you need it for skinning. It only fits this well in the left hand.
All the high points are smooth and pollished in the way you only get from holding and useing it a lot.

I actually think I remember something about this type of tool from back in my school days!

We had an Aboriginal Elder come to our school a few times over the years (the school was built on an old Aboriginal hunting area) and he was saying something like this was used as a tool to knock out the animal and to kill it / skin it. He said the larger more rounded end was used more so to kill it and then a sharper edge to that is to skin it/cut it for dinner.

Looks pretty good that's for sure!! :D

Latest posts