You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Danlonie95
21 March 2016 06:12 pm

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone would have some info on the pride and stringer reef and kiln near yackandandah? Any info would be helpful, I've been to the rechabite, Kerry eagle, wallaby, homeward bound and a few others but I can't seem to find info on the pride and stringer mad

AtomRat
21 March 2016 06:17 pm

Gday and welcome smile Did you have a search on google cause I just found a location?

Last edited by AtomRat (21 March 2016 06:18 pm)

Wisdom is knowing how little you know

1 user likes this post: Hunting the yellow

Danlonie95
21 March 2016 06:21 pm

Yeah mate i did Google it, but it's saying its in pines, and from what I've heard it's not, I have a rough idea where the reef is! I'm just interested to see if anyone else has some info to help me out smile

AtomRat
21 March 2016 06:38 pm

It shouldn't be far off from the location, but I know some of them are incorrect. Getting onto the old maps will guide you. Have you checked the library's in the local history sections

Last edited by AtomRat (21 March 2016 06:38 pm)

Danlonie95
21 March 2016 06:40 pm

Nah I haven't, we have a roof tops map and it shows a mine in the area, so I guess we will start there, I'm also intrested in finding the kiln, from what I've read it's in the pines down the hill

1 user likes this post: AtomRat

AtomRat
21 March 2016 06:43 pm

Massive gold workings occurred throughout this plantation area in the 19th Century. Workings occurred throughout Europa Gully, Nine Mile Creek, Back Creek (including headwaters), Clear Creek and Yackandandah Creek (almost to its headwaters). Plantations were initially established to 'settle' the gold mine tailings. It is highly likely that plantation logging could seriously 'stir up' these sediments leading to further water pollution. Reefs within the plantation included: Tin Tub, Albion, Bangle, Topaz, Stringer, Pride, Caledonia and l'Anson."Pines in the Stanley area were originally planted on degraded mining land by Forests Commission employees and sustenance workers - Sustenance camps near Stanley were established by unemployed men from Melbourne during the Depression in the 1930's. The plantations were worked by Italian interns during WW2 and following the war, by immigrants who came to Australia through nationalisation programs during the 1950's and 1960's."

2 users like this post: Old Fred, dam it

Danlonie95
21 March 2016 06:55 pm

By the sounds of it, it's somewhere in the pine plantation! Thanks for that bit of info smile

1 user likes this post: AtomRat

lenners
22 March 2016 08:22 am

Hi Danlonie95, the website 'Geovic' may be of some use to you in locating these mines.

1 user likes this post: mbasko

Danlonie95
22 March 2016 12:53 pm

Thanks for that mate, I'll have to check it out

mbasko
22 March 2016 02:46 pm

AtomRat wrote:

Massive gold workings occurred throughout this plantation area in the 19th Century. Workings occurred throughout Europa Gully, Nine Mile Creek, Back Creek (including headwaters), Clear Creek and Yackandandah Creek (almost to its headwaters). Plantations were initially established to 'settle' the gold mine tailings. It is highly likely that plantation logging could seriously 'stir up' these sediments leading to further water pollution. Reefs within the plantation included: Tin Tub, Albion, Bangle, Topaz, Stringer, Pride, Caledonia and l'Anson."Pines in the Stanley area were originally planted on degraded mining land by Forests Commission employees and sustenance workers - Sustenance camps near Stanley were established by unemployed men from Melbourne during the Depression in the 1930's. The plantations were worked by Italian interns during WW2 and following the war, by immigrants who came to Australia through nationalisation programs during the 1950's and 1960's."

Nice write up AR. You could get a job writing up tourism or forestry blogs wink big_smile

Everything we use comes from mining or farming.

AtomRat
22 March 2016 04:30 pm

Lol was pasted from a document mbasko, think the document was more to do about environmental groups..nothing to do with the mines or prospecting

Treadsoftly
19 June 2016 06:38 pm

http://gazette.slv.vic.gov.au/view.cgi? … assNum=G37

go to page 1030 right hand column under Beechworth Prospecting Company 1875

Edit added - brief (date range) history of Yackandandah goldfield with some info on your interested reef

http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/147036/20 … dandah.pdf

Last edited by Treadsoftly (19 June 2016 06:59 pm)

Chloe0305
23 February 2018 07:08 pm

Hi guys heading off to beechworth stanley and yack for the weekend . And it will be great ?
Just wondering if anyone can share any info on what type of shafts i may be entering . I have all the gear and experience but only starting the prospecting/ mining side of it..
Also is it true that my victorian prospecting license covers 5 acres of claim rights

Chloe0305
23 February 2018 07:14 pm

Also i find it weird that it will cost me roughly $10,000 to make a civil mining claim in victoria to have the legal right to minerals in that bit of earth for 10 acres
But i have paid $34 for 10 year victorian prospecting license to get the right to claim 5 acres . That means me and my wife can claim the same amount of land for $60 that a individual would cost $10,000 . ...
Why would anyone bother too make a claim ... jist make sure you pay $30 for a prospecting license
???????????????????

TheMediocritist
23 February 2018 07:37 pm

Chloe0305 wrote:

Hi guys heading off to beechworth stanley and yack for the weekend . And it will be great ?
Just wondering if anyone can share any info on what type of shafts i may be entering . I have all the gear and experience but only starting the prospecting/ mining side of it..

I suggest you don’t prospect in historic mine shafts. For several reasons.

Also is it true that my victorian prospecting license covers 5 acres of claim rights

Nope. The Recreational Prospecting and Fossicking License only allows you the right to recreational prospecting and fossicking (and obliges you to fill/repair on the day you dig). You need a full Prospecting License to claim up to 5 hectares.

2 users like this post: malri_au, dam it

malri_au
23 February 2018 07:53 pm

I've got some info (mine plans),but I don't really want to post it.

You don't want to go there unless you have permission.

It's also very dangerous like TheMed said.

Last edited by malri_au (23 February 2018 07:53 pm)

Minelab SD2000|Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II|BH Pinpointer|Recirc Sluice|Pan|Noggin|Nubnutz|GM1000

1 user likes this post: dam it

Chloe0305
26 February 2018 11:05 am

Thanks for that mediocrist i tryd to msg or tag you to say thanks and also how much of a difference in price from rec minning and proper minning license
Is this that $10,000 figure i keep reading ?

Chloe0305
26 February 2018 11:12 am

Hey atomrat i need help
Found and aboundend diggings hole / mine . Would say its a mine as its not very deep .
Rich gold ore i think . But iam hopless with tech . Some reason i cant start topic or see pictures or videos or answer to others including you
I have pictures and videos taken on my trip especially for u and the members of this forum
Please help guys
I came from a remote area and i struggle with numeracy and literacy let alone technology
But in saying that we all love the bush and that hunt for that SHINY

Chloe0305
26 February 2018 11:25 am

So my question a topic i wantted to start was about some hard pack sample i took out of a mine yesterday
So i had a minelab eureka gold and the gold bug 2 and me n my brother climbed down with head torches,picks and heshian bags
So he left me in there when i started to dig n the roof was moving and crums were falling ... it was very old . No collor and i really should of taken such a risk
Iam really serious about my hobbys and beleive enteeing mine shafta is the way to go
Anyways i took a section of wall in a very small china mens pitt that shot pf the side down underground
Anyways i joined this forum for this exact reason and if iam in endanger my life with 2 children under 4 i atleast want to be doing it for pay dirt not dirt
So do any experinced miners and prospectors got any tips and advice
My question is . I took 4 heshians of ore but it was not solid rock . It was hard pack.. that hard my pick was sparking. But it crumbled and had quartz n ptrite all frew it but like a rice bubble cracker
I have photos plz help me to use this forum

malri_au
26 February 2018 11:29 am

you need 10 posts to be able to access pics and other areas,you're nearly there.

Minelab SD2000|Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II|BH Pinpointer|Recirc Sluice|Pan|Noggin|Nubnutz|GM1000

Chloe0305
27 February 2018 01:14 pm

Well im sorry but everyone has suggestions . I have already made my mind up and have a passion for the mine exploration and gold prospecting. So i respect thatt u disagree but thats your porogertive not mine . Iam asking these questions on this forum for advice ( only if they want to give it and other then that . I dont give 2 shits nor am i interested in people wanting to lecture or police
Iam hear to get advice from knowledgable people and old school hobbiests and ex miners . I want advice so i have a good chance of doing everything right for my own saftey
Thankyou to all the helpful forum members and sorry for my rant

Chloe0305
27 February 2018 01:45 pm

Danlonie95 are you a local to the yack-beechworth area . Iam born and breed there but never did prospecting untill i moved to melbourne . Now i want to move back lol.
Do you have much knowledge about wallaby mines in victoria (not w.a )
Thanks for any info u can swing my way

dam it
27 February 2018 01:48 pm

Dude all I will say is
IF you decide to continue going down old mine shafts is let someone know where you are going .
Makes it easier to find you if something goes wrong .
Now take this how you please .
" I Dont give 2 shits " not the best way to be asking for help .

We have Lumps of it out the back ................

4 users like this post: 7.62marksman, malri_au, limpalot, ken2m

7.62marksman
27 February 2018 02:25 pm

hey dam it popcorn yet or wait a bit longer tongue tongue tongue tongue

Highbanker, Sluice, Trommel, Gold Monster 1000 (Khaleesi), Garrett Ace 400i (Rhaegal), Go-Find 40 (Nymeria), Non Turbo 2.8lt Hilux (Turtle), NAPFA member ----Even a broken clock is right twice a day

2 users like this post: dam it, limpalot

malri_au
27 February 2018 02:30 pm

victorian mine chasers on facebook posted a picture earlier today.

it has them hanging in a shaft,then they go in comments to explain that the air quality got down to as low as 12% O2.

if they didn't have a gas meter they could have died not knowing it was getting that bad.

3 users like this post: dam it, bbrook, limpalot

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site