Can I sand a crystal/gem?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is probably a silly question but is it possible to sand a crystal/gem? The vast majority of the little ones I have been getting (apparently predominantly topaz) are tiny and I wouldn't be able to do anything with them... but I do have a couple of pieces that might be big enough for me to hold and perhaps give a bit of a sand to create a flatter edge? I guess the real question is... is there anything I can do with my little crystals/gems with just things I have around the house to perhaps make them look a little nicer? Doesn't have to produce a fancy finish... just curious as to whether there is a way to make them look a bit more flashy.

Thanks for any help (and yes if I got something big enough to really do something serious with I would be looking at professional help ;) )

Some people use a Dremmel Blennus but I can't really think of anything else though, hopefully some of the more experienced at lapidary will be able to help.

A silicon carbide oil stone that is used for sharpening knives will soon sand a nice face on your "gem". use a little water - can add a drop of dishwashing detergent if you wish. You could also use wet & dry sandpaper starting from around 100 grit through to 1200 to get a matt finish.

You don't need to spend much to start with. You'd probably be able to find these things in the shed.

Thanks Heatho... I happen to have a dremel (an investment for many of my half #$#ed DIY projects at home).

Dughug... I was hoping something like that might be the case... I probably have a few different grades of sandpaper about the place so happy to give them a try... might invest in a stone for knife sharpening as I'm sure I could find a "normal" use for it as well, but if it has the added benefit of being usable for "gem" work then all the better :)

Latest posts