If you were looking at this?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukem

Luke
Reaction score
Howdy prospectors,

In an attempt to not be a leech I will make this my only thread until further contribution to the forum.

As a new comer to the sport I'd like to pick the brains of those with a keen eye for surroundings.

Firstly a few photos of a large quartz line about 3 meters up off the creek bed, amongst the big rocks and boulders. Would anyone see this as any importance or worth ripping through? It does seem to pull away rather easily. Once pieces are pulled out the unexposed sections are rather rustic in colour.

Second lot of photos are a section of large rocks through the centre of the creek. Would this be the best spot in a creek to dig a big hole (either side) to work out if gold has passed along this creek?

Lastly a higher section of the bank; right hand kick when the creek flows. Where would you dig to sample? If at all?

thank you in advance,

Luke
1457840454_1.jpg

1457840454_2.jpg

1457840455_3.jpg

1457840455_4.jpg

1457840455_5.jpg

Well i could tell you if its a gold bearing creek if you pm me its name?/location Im born bred sunny coast boy your secret is safe with me.
Plus i wouldnt want you wasting your time in state forests or listed creeks?
Not alot of gold around sunny coast...i can pm you gold locations closer to home?

hey mate, this is kobble creek (between Samford and Dayboro). I did do a quick pan in one of the little pools. All that came out was tiny bit of black sand with these little specks of shiny black that had a dark purple shimmer like purple tinsel.

Its on my brothers property at Kobble Creek and I thought I'd practice out there. There have been many a gold mines throughout the area. We use to have the old train line go though our property at Samford until it derailed down the back and mining through clear mountain and Dayboro pretty much ceased.

I figure all these long back roads that come to dead ends through thick scrub wouldn't have been made for no reason :/

Sampling the area with a pan will tell you a lot, take the time and have a good look. I don't know the area so yes that would be my very first step. And a bit of area research would not go amiss. cheers digger

yobskin - cant seem to find the pm on this site as yet.

Jem - dozens of mines have been within a 25km radius but no real info on alluvial gold. Being such an old last lying point to the river surely something has washed down somewhere all those centuries ago. Maybe one day I'll look back and go "what a waste of time when I started out" or "what a way to start out!"

Hey mate i know the area.... there were plenty of mines but not gold the golden spur is the closest....south of you gold creek would be better luck or west over the range... alot of chinese were employed in that region so i wouldnt think they left much behind....
Arsenic/tin/pyrite was mined in that area.
You need 10 posts to pm...sorry

yeah, my grandad sold all that land a long time ago that the golden spur mines were on. Pretty sure its just housing now. I don't get down there much but would love to hit where the 3 creeks use to join with a top of the line detector on our property there. For now I think I'll just focus my new beginning on Gympie

thank mate. That one took out "biggest jack" for the Noosa River to Reef comp @ 57cm. I have a 60cm in the freezer I want to get taxidermy. Biggest I've ever heard of come out of Maroochy River.

My best is also a 57, from a creek in Arnhem land. Biggest Ive seen come from the reefs outside, you don't want to know how big these things get!

yeah I know. I've picked up 7 and 8kg respectively off a drop out double island way. But that hardly compares to a 60cm jack on a Nordic Stage F1 rod and Vanquish Limited C2000hgs reel. In my book anyway. The 60 is still the prize to me.

I love my jack fishing I have my secret spot that I go to at the Gold Coast trying to find a photo of the 80 cm Jack it is really hard to catch where it is it can't get out ;)

G'day Lukem, nice spot mate.

Looking at your bank, consider the force of the water it took to shift those rocks and smaller boulders down there in the rocky strata. Okay, then consider how far some of that wash has travelled, due to the force of the current at that time.

Above that rocky wash, there is basically sediment, or dirt, which indicates a significant drop in volume and pressure in the creek - if there is any decent gold, it will be in that rocky strata. Because it's on the outside of a bend, and because it is the bank, us prospectors don't dig their, because it weakens the bank, assisting in more erosion.

1457888245_straightch_2.gif

1457888281_meander.gif

As you can see in the above diagrams, the dynamics of water flow and it's carrying capacity alters or weakens, but it can be predictable - notice the areas of less power in the water flow, and this will indicate where to expect gold to be trapped behind boulders and bars, or gold that drops out of the flow.

In your situation Luke, I would try the material washed out of the rocky layer - basically the area that you walk on, next to the bank, and if you get a show of colour, excellent mate. Good luck.

thank you mungoman. Gives me somewhat a good idea where to look. This part of the bank is tough to explain. I picked this section as possibility because if you were looking up the creek towards the flow direction it is a little kick on the left. To the right of the main creek runs a smaller creek out. I figure this push in direction from the smaller creek would created a rip and drop anything heavy. Might make up a clay mould and run a pump through it.
1457938307_side_bank.jpg

as you can see, its been a long time since it was a river. To be honest I think I would have to be 3 meters to the left and 1-3 meters underground to find gold.

Beautiful looking creek, worth taking a few samples and panning them.

Not familiar with your rod and reel combo?
I don, t chase jacks, I chase barra, but jacks are a welcome by catch. I know of a few creeks up here that are litterally full of jacks.
My mate took me there and we caught well over 50 in about half a day, so many small ones competeing for your lure, makes it hard for the big ones to crunch ya. 46cm was the best one on that day.
I have so many baitcaster outfits its silly, I really want to buy a GPX4500 and need to raise $, but I just cant bring myself to sell any of my baitcasters.My favorites are a St Croix Legend elite 8 -12lb rod with a Diawa Millionaire J dream, and a Loomis GLX with an Abu MGX......thats 2 of my favs, I have another 6 or so combos, then there is the LBG cllection, threadlines etc.....you wouldn, t want to buy a saltiga 4000 by any chance? ;)

Dream to get up north for a fishing trip. . If I was a Daiwa man, id buy the saltiga. I hoard fishing gear. But I am Shimano through an through so its all jdm Shimano - vanquish limited editions, twin power mg's, Cardiff area, stellas.

Ive got gear of all brands, shimano, s like 2 curado, s E7, s a couple of calcutta TE, s, an old TTS50W, old spehros, stradics, Beastmasters, diawas, Millionaire Z, s , an X zillion j dream, saltigas, LD50H, avets, Penns, lol, the list goes on.....shimano lost me when they started to change models every year or so, curado E series were good reels, the new cronach is an old E curado painted white instead of green.....etc

Yeah Luke, I'd say that you're right about the distance from the bank - as for the depth - unless there's a bar across the creek, any gold would have penetrated pretty deep.

A few test holes in the deepest part of the bed might be worth a crack?