XP Deus programs and settings.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What does the program Wet Beach refer to??
Does it mean that you are detecting in water over sand or does it refer to detecting over sand that has had say, the tide fallen away leaving the sand Wet.

My understanding of wet beach is using the detector on the wet sand area after the tide has gone out. You may find it chirps a bit. If it does try reducing the sensitivity a bit. I have found that any signal will shine through the chatter though. You can also detect in shallow water but you need an aerial attachment if the coil is completely submerged. This is length of coax which runs from the coil up the stem to a spot close to the control box. Hope this helps.

Spot on above. Even if the sand is slightly moist it works better than dry beach.
Only other comment is that the coil will respond ok without the aerial submerged up to about 8 inches, I have recovered a few bits of jewellery and sinkers this way.

I have recently bought an XP Deus and there doesn't seem to be much information on settings etc used in Australian conditions. Mostly info is from the UK.
I have been using a couple of the most popular programs I see in Deus groups from overseas. HF Deep, Deus Fast, G Maxx and variations of these are the main programs I've used in the field and Beach gold which is a modified Goldfield program on the beach. I like using full tones in relatively clean locations but it's a bit overwhelming in trashy areas.

I'd like to know what settings others are using on the XP.

Ditto :) One I use: wet beach, up the sens till it slightly chatters, raise audio response to 4, got me a 10cent piece at 2ft in wet sand.

What is the going rate for an XP DEUS as current for March 2016 in Australian $ .....?
As an aspiring Ag hunter (we'd all like to do better I'm sure) my interest is definately at ears pricked stage now. :D

10c @ 2' in wet sand says it all in a worthwhile sorta way ,... keeps worming around in my mind from hippocampus to cerebellum ,... why even the brain stems getting a wriggle, must be a primeval urge indeed ,... only the sufference of poverty being the force that's keeping my hands Deus free, and nothing else. :p 8) :eek: :D :rolleyes: :cool: :D

silver said:
10c @ 2' in wet sand says it all in a worthwhile sorta way ,... keeps worming around in my mind from hippocampus to cerebellum ,... why even the brain stems getting a wriggle, must be a primeval urge indeed ,... only the sufference of poverty being the force that's keeping my hands Deus free, and nothing else. :p 8) :eek: :D :rolleyes: :cool: :D

cheaper machines around, that will ping deep coins at the beach....guess it depends whether you want to upgrade from the ace?

rocketaroo said:
silver said:

cheaper machines around, that will ping deep coins at the beach....guess it depends whether you want to upgrade from the ace?
Upgrade,.. I'm getting tired as it is RKT, I may end up leaving silver in the ground for others to find one day soon(only by accident of course ). :lol:

Never know, I could vist one day for some reason or other, but if it's for a reason you don't usually get time to detect at all (much).
Would like to dig into that creamy soil down there and see what you fellas have walked over on your way through ,.... ahhh, I can imagine the smell of it all now RKT(silver silver everywhere). ;)

I hav e started doing a little testing in my back yard. I have buried a full silver threepence and running the coil over it with different settings.
Some of the factory programs will pick it up, some won't. These are the settings that pick it up the best so far. It is a modified Deusfast program.

I called it DFASTSIL for Deus Fast Silver.
A Deusfast mod.
Sensitivity 99 expert TX 2 (will turn this up next test)
Freq 17.6
Ferous Vol 0
Reactivity 3 expert Silencer -1
Rep Audio 4
Discrimination 5.0 expert Full tones.

from what I have read, you have to keep sensitivity, and tx power in tandem, both cant be high. ie sens 82 if using tx 2.

Personally I don't think there are any wrong or right settings for the Deus, all depends on where you live, local mineralisation, and the type of sites you detect that dictate the settings.

I always leave the tx power on 2 and adjust the sensitivity to its highest stable setting, usually left on 90-95. Running a high tx power will also drain the batteries at a much faster rate.

As for my settings, pretty much the same as Ramjet, based on the well known Hot Program (modded Deus Fast) .

Frequency - 17.3 kHz for most areas as my pre-decs are reasonably shallow.
11.7 kHz for coinage in deeper soil profiles, or if I want to enhance the response on the high conductors, especially deeper threepences or coins that are possibly on edge.

The frequencies below 11.7 can be pretty noisy in some locations if near emi sources, requiring a drop in sensitivity to maintain some sort of stability. I honestly haven't given much time to the 4 & 8 kHz frequencies, as the upper two have been doing a pretty good job so far.

Tones - Fulltones

Reactivity - mainly 3, though will use 2 in open ground with minimal iron/junk

Silencer - turned off

Audio Response - 4

Discrimination - just enough to discrim out rusty iron nails, which is close to the hot program setting of 5

Ground Balance - this is probably one of the more important settings to get right on the Deus. If the ground balance is not correct, none of the other settings on the Deus will make a difference with regards to improving depth.

I prefer to run with manual ground balance vs tracking for 90% of my detecting. The mineralisation in my area is reasonably low and uniform, so not much needs to be done once the GB is manually set for the area, other than the odd adjustment on the fly. I usually run a couple of points lower than the suggested figure for a little more depth, so long as stability is maintained. If you get touch sensitivity on grass and objects, the GB is set too low.

I avoid using tracking, as it underperforms on any locations with iron/junk. It will calculate a mean ground value based on the junk if it cannot consistantly read the ground, which greatly reduces depth and hinders the unmasking ability of the detector. Sticking with the suggested factory GB preset of 90 is not suitable either for most of our soils, if exclusively used it may compromise depth and result in missed targets.

As an example of what tracking will do in junky ground, I tested tracking in my backyard which is full of rusty nails and non-ferrous junk. The tracking consistantly calculated the mean GB value at around 80-85, most likely due to reading on other targets in the ground vs the actual ground itself. I planted a $1 coin at 6" using reactivity 3, and the Deus would not signal at all on the coin.

Dropping back to manual GB, I managed to average a true ground value of around 70 on a clean patch ground, and upon adjusting the manual GB back to 70 and below, the coin was then clearly heard.

So if using tracking and you suspect you aren't achieving good depth from the Deus, switch over to manual GB and give it a go. :)

If you are out detecting shallower modern coinage, and are having trouble with loads of crown caps, especially those flattened rusty ones that give off a good tone, try upping the silencer to 3 or 4. You will find some caps disappear completely whilst others will give off a broken signal, making them easily distinguishable from good coin or silver targets. It tends to work better on the lower frequencies vs 18kHz.

Latest posts