WA Western Australia Information and Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can someone recommend any good spots around wa for gold. I heard that kalgoorlie is decent enough. Anyone found much gold up there?

Gold is lying around bloody everywhere in WA, great prospecting spot. Took me 4 days to get an ounce when I passed through Kal last year. Only problem there is the bitty bugs, I generally only last a week there then head further north to get away from them. Gold and Ghosts vol 1&2 have heaps of good spots to get you started. Use an iPad to make sure you know where you are and stay out of trouble. Here is a link to using it in WA.

http://goldnuggetadventures.com/2012/08/14/introduction-to-gis-mapping/

Good luck

DD

WA has bigger nuggets and more of it than anywhere in Oz right now

There are still places where no man has set foot apart from indigenous gentlemen and ladies who didnt have interest in a bullion market prior to captain cook .

it has its hazards , weather and seasons being one of them , you wouldnt go there without familiarising yourself with behaviour around snakes ( search for a post on this forum for "snakes" ), spend 100 hours or more on research before going so you dont walk on to mining leases without permission , buy a good pair of snake spats , carry lots of water and food and water and water , GPS device of your choice , take a fly net to hang over your akubra and take electrolytes in summer to reduce heatstroke .

be friendly and respectful to locals , consider their feelings when you talk to them in light of the understanding that thousands of people rock up and expect to just rip through and plunder their home turf.

how would we feel if thousands of blow ins tried to ransack the place and bugger off again ?

so be mindful of that , speak to people with consideration before you ransack the place and bugger off again ;p)

with regards to that thing of respecting locals and their home turf should we make a sticky on that topic ?

Its easy to look at a map without remembering there are people on that map in their little houses that want to feel secure and safe.

if i drove 9 hours to get to a place that doesnt mean i can barge through properties and places that has been someones backyard for 30 years

do we reword it and post a new sticky ( sorry if i am being intrusive into your editorial space :D )

Maybe start a new thread? It's a bit rough assuming gavduffy needs to be told all the rules, he only asked if anyone could recommend spots worth trying.

DD

Won't snake be in hibernation now? we are planning on going across next week. Still have to get a detector tho, and apply for the miners rights thing. I work up north so I know it's gonna be cold at night now. Does anyone fancy going next week too, give us a few tips????

I will be going through Kal about the 17th for a couple days then heading back up to Meeka. If your around at that time I can show you the ropes.

DD

Your such a nice guy DD i'll try not to take all the gold from creek 51 ;) :eek:
:eek: Happy hunting to you and jackie and jaffa.
Drive safe on the country roads see you guys around.
Cheers Dave...

Thanks headsup. Got the link to work. Wow there was a lot of gold found lol. When I pay the 25$ miners rights fee, am I allowed to go to a abandoned mine site and look for gold? Also can I go onto untouched land and search? Leaving the land in the way we found of course....

Goldrocs said:
Your such a nice guy DD i'll try not to take all the gold from creek 51 ;) :eek:
:eek: Happy hunting to you and jackie and jaffa.
Drive safe on the country roads see you guys around.
Cheers Dave...

Your a top bloke Dave, very nice of you to leave me some :p . I will be back at Chrissy time to get it, that's if Bob doesn't buy a dry blower and clean it out. :D

DD

Hey Gavduffy,

dont know if youve headed off yet but i'm going that way late july as well and doing a bit of research

the site gold-prospecting-wa.com has a page called "gold-fields", it is pretty good as they have a userguide to the tengraph system that Dept of mines uses to determine where you can dig.

from what i can see - if you are going for a short time and just rock up to kal, you have 4 options for places you can explore
1. crown land, which is marked in black on the tengraph system, and unless you go a fair way out - it is less likely to have much on it, otherwise somone would have staked a claim by now
2. 'pending' permit sites that are marked in dark blue, or recently expired claims
3. applying via a section 40e to go onto someone else's site, ie tenement: but you cant start detecting for 21 days after application while dept of mines seeks objections
4. going into the office of a couple of the big mining companies and signing an agreement that usually gives them 10% of your finds, and you have to tell them where you got them - this gets around the 21 days problem if you havent applied in advance - the two main players are paddington and barrick from what i've heard

i'm going to try a bit of a mix of these.

DD it's not bob ya have to worry about I already got the keene humming :D just need a 5000 and I'm nearly ready to go full time like ya self. GR the genpack is ready the oleo mac pump arrived today just waiting on the keene sieve set to turn up and the dry gulch highbanker and creek 51 look out :D
Happy trails DD see ya next trip.
Cheers
Skip

Haha, Goodluck mate. I'm sure there will still be some left. I'm having a great time harvesting nuggets in the west. See ya at Chrissy time.

DD

Hey GR & Skip maybe I can take DD's place. I dont cost much, just a little food lol
DD happy hunting and see you next time your back.
Cheers George :) :)

Goldrocs said:
Dozer you will have to sign on the dotted line not to tell :) :eek: :eek:
GR my mother always told me not to talk with my mouth full. So keep the food coming and your secret is safe with me lol :D :D :p

Hello to everyone, I am after a little bit of a heads up, we have a long term (maybe May/June 2015) plan of heading off to WA to detect and see a bit of the country. I am about to start researching a bit to figure out some reasonable places to head for. Hope to have 2 or 3 months over there (who knows, we may not come back!!) Have heard of a lot of the places but not sure of where would be best. Any general info would be great, even just the general area's along with the do's and dont's would be good.

hey daalkodetector

sound like you in for a real treat mate would love to get a few months off over there, still looking for that info-mouse retiring nuggett ;) we live in anticipation

Latest posts