Yep,, Fridges Again ??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bjay said:
Correct if I'm wrong R/R but aren't you in the old mother country? Didn't think you would need a fridge over there :)

Probably having a heat wave in their summer.

An English heatwave is; More than 2 days of sunshine, no rain and 25C. It does happen every few years.... :p

(FYI - I grew up there, so having a laugh at my own expense)

I have a temperature probe in my Engel, it gives ambient on one half and current fridge temp on the other half. It also records MAX/MIN for both.

I know if I set my Engel to 3C it can vary max/min +/- 1 degree, on a ambient variation of up to about 15 degrees. To explain, if it's 25 daytime and 10 at night.

However if it's 40 in daytime and 10 at night, a 30 C variation, (for example) and I set it to give me 3-4C during the day, then I do need to wind back the controller at night or it might freeze. Then turn it up the next morning.

Pretty well all manual fridges will have this happen. Either way, if the fridge isn't fitted with an inbuilt temperature gauge (like my old Engel) an after market gauge is highly recommended. At least this avoids bad food from being eaten.

Bjay said:
Correct if I'm wrong R/R but aren't you in the old mother country? Didn't think you would need a fridge over there :)

Yeah I am Mate, but when I go off detecting I can vanish 3 or 4 weeks at a time and I am out there if and when the sun comes up and don't return til after dark, I have a Stanley/Aladdin Esky that came with a matching Thermos and I take coffee and a few sangers to get me through the day but around the fire at night I like a few cold ones to keep me busy while I am doing me dinner,

John

True,
Hot air rises, Cold air sinks.
I have available 240ah of battery's with a set of 180w folding solar panels. :)
Put the beer in the top and frozen's in the bottom. LOL

Tathradj said:
True,

Geez Tath, that amount of battery and solar will go forever without taking a 2nd look. Truly a set and forget setup. Looks like the only thing you might run short of on a trip is the beer itself....lol. Depending on how big your truck is :)

G'day Far out and Groovy people, well my fridge turned up at 9.35 this morning but heres the kicker I ended up getting the ARB 47L, Partly because I could not get the Engle dealer on the phone and when I did they are selling the old models not the new version with the 2 push pads on the control panel anyways I must admit although I wanted the Engle this ARB is a ball tearer and it has the German Dunfoss motor in it which is good, I am just so pleased that I managed to get another Great Aussie product man this thing is built like a Tank, I got it for $1079.00 which is good for the prices over here coz they try and scalp ya for about $1800 normally, I did think about getting one of the National Luna'a but they start at about $2000 and they have the same motor/pump as the ARB's and this one is built to use out in the Bush or on the water, and the power consumption is pretty good too AT 0.87 amps per hour when its 31*c out side,

It's good to know that Aussie Companies can still take on the best in the world and come out the winner,

God Bless Australia,

http://www.arb.com.au/products/fridges-camping-accessories/arb-fridge-freezers/

John

LOL,
True, The one thing I hate is warm beer and rotten food.
I still have room in the back of the cruiser for a few more slabs. :) ;)
All jokes aside it is a bad thing when your fridge packs it in on a 5 day trip.
Hate That. :mad:

condor22 said:
Tathradj said:
True,

Geez Tath, that amount of battery and solar will go forever without taking a 2nd look. Truly a set and forget setup. Looks like the only thing you might run short of on a trip is the beer itself....lol. Depending on how big your truck is :)

Yup, know the feeling. My Engel only let me down once in 23 yrs. Well, not specifically the Engel....

Years ago, I had the Engel in the back of an AU2 Wagon. The power socket was connected directly to the Starter Battery and when I got to a caravan park, I would disconnect this and hook into a 240VAC extension lead whilst in camp. NB I had no Aux battery in the vehicle.

So, hot day, Southern Flinders Range, I wanted nothing more than to get into the Air Con in the Van... At dusk we go to drive to the local pub for a meal and no juice in the starter. Silly bugger me forgot to change the power source.

Also had an alarm system on the AU, so alarm wouldn't isolate, headlights flashing (with what little power there was) central locking wouldn't work, radio code lost blah blah.

I called the RAA, one new battery and near 2 hours jigging around with central locking and alarm resets, finally got the car back to working (less the radio as the code was back home).

In the mean time as the fridge had no power and I'd neglected to connect it to 240VAC whilst trying to fix the car, all the beer was now too hot to drink. Thankfully the pub was still open, but missed dinner so baked beans to eat.

That was the start of my almost pedantic efforts to ensure power loss never occurred again...

DISCLAIMER; There was nothing wrong with the Engel, it was all down to operator error.

Engel fridge freezers do not have to be unplugged from 12V when connecting on to 240V. Internal,circuitry will recognise when 240 available and automatically take 240 first. If that is not happening then there is a fault. This applies to all grey, silver and later models; I'm unsure about the old yellow / green models.
Also the earlier ARB were re badged Engels under licence: there is some thought that the latest ARB are made by Dometic who own Waeco but the change happened after I retired so I can't confirm if as fact.
It's important when talking about any experience with brands of fridge freezers you mention which model to give full picture.
For example Nexberg P/L own Evakool and have several models in their range, some Australian built, others imported. The white fibreglass and yellow polypropylene are made in Australia, Travelmate was imported from overseas.
Watch for publicity saying "developed in Aust" or designed in Aust" this does not mean they are built in Australia.
I retailed Engel, Primus, Waeco, Evakool for many years and retired 2 years ago so changes may have taken place since then.

I love Engle fridges and I would have bought one in a heartbeat if they made it easier here to get one, But this ARB is very impressive and everything about it is perfect, Now I am thinking about buying the 78 litre model and using it as a fridge and keeping this 47 litre one as a freezer for longer trips,

john

Yep,
I can relate to that.
First outing with my current fridge I ran out of power 2 days in at 40 + degrees weather.
Was only running a 50 watt panel.
I scraped through with what I had but vowed to never let it happen again. LOL
Now have 4 60ah Long life agm batteries and a bloody beefy set of folding panels.
2 of them ran the fridge happily for 2 days straight around 2.5 amps at mid 30's and I got
1/2 day of sunlight to top up and that fully charged them.
I do expect this fridge to naturally draw more but with a bit of common sense with 3 or 4 battery's , It should be good.
The battery's cost me nothing so that was a bonus and I have 4 more coming shortly. :) ( Not that I would need them.)
Only thing I have to worry about is having the whole lot pinched.

condor22 said:
Yup, know the feeling. My Engel only let me down once in 23 yrs. Well, not specifically the Engel....

Years ago, I had the Engel in the back of an AU2 Wagon. The power socket was connected directly to the Starter Battery and when I got to a caravan park, I would disconnect this and hook into a 240VAC extension lead whilst in camp. NB I had no Aux battery in the vehicle.

So, hot day, Southern Flinders Range, I wanted nothing more than to get into the Air Con in the Van... At dusk we go to drive to the local pub for a meal and no juice in the starter. Silly bugger me forgot to change the power source.

Also had an alarm system on the AU, so alarm wouldn't isolate, headlights flashing (with what little power there was) central locking wouldn't work, radio code lost blah blah.

I called the RAA, one new battery and near 2 hours jigging around with central locking and alarm resets, finally got the car back to working (less the radio as the code was back home).

In the mean time as the fridge had no power and I'd neglected to connect it to 240VAC whilst trying to fix the car, all the beer was now too hot to drink. Thankfully the pub was still open, but missed dinner so baked beans to eat.

That was the start of my almost pedantic efforts to ensure power loss never occurred again...

DISCLAIMER; There was nothing wrong with the Engel, it was all down to operator error.

From the latest posts....

My Engel is a grey (current colour) although 23 yrs old. It has 2 input sockets for power, with a slide cover such that with the 12VDC cable inserted it covers the 240VAC socket. To convert to 240VAC requires me to pull the 12VDC plug out, slide the cover and insert a separate 240VAC cable, which the cover then slides across the 12VDC input. In other words you can't connect 12VDC & 240VAC at the same time. This requires no switching as the Engel's internal wiring knows which source is in use.

Re batteries - There is nothing wrong with using 4 x 60AH batteries wired in parallel to give 240AH total, however.....If batteries are connected in together to do this, they should be;
  • Of the same chemistry[/*]
  • Of the same Brand[/*]
  • Of the same age[/*]
  • Of the same capacity, and[/*]
  • Wiring between them heavy enough for the total capacity of the system, not the individual battery capacity, but more so the expected maximum current draw or recharge amperage whichever is greater.[/*]

If one of a bank of batteries deteriorates, it will damage the others, if unnoticed.

I have a 120AH in my caravan, I'm considering doubling the capacity. There are 2 ways to do this, buy another 120AH and parallel connect or, buy a 240AH battery and replace it. The better option is the 240AH, given that my van battery and a new 120AH will not be of the same age. The other question I need to answer is the size of a 240AH compared to an added 120AH.

Obviously if the batteries are portable, moving 4 smaller batteries will be easier than 1 BIG battery.

FYI

My 120AH AGM = 331 long x 175 wide x 218 high @ 36kg

a 240 AH AGM = 520 long x 269 wide x 208 high @ 76kg

Given that my 120AH is under the seat and I don't have 520 in length spare the 240AH won't fit. Also 76kg is more than I could handle. I do however have a 2nd part of the L shaped lounge with space for another 120AH.

So that is what determines my only choice of going parallel with 2 AGMs. I would however say; Given the space, I would prefer the single battery option.

Also given that my current 120 is < than 12 months old, with little use and I can get an identical 2nd from the same supplier, I'll accept the age disparity. My only decision is to act soon, because the longer it is left, the riskier it becomes.

Just for completeness make sure they are from the same batch. There'll be a code stamped on the side. Buying two batteries at the same time doesn't guarantee they're the same age as one could've been sitting around for some time.
Jon

Thank You Condor, :)
All 4 batteries are same brand, Capacity and age.
Idea if using 4 of them is to gang with anderson plugs.
They weigh aprox 25 kilo's each.

condor22 said:
From the latest posts....

My Engel is a grey (current colour) although 23 yrs old. It has 2 input sockets for power, with a slide cover such that with the 12VDC cable inserted it covers the 240VAC socket. To convert to 240VAC requires me to pull the 12VDC plug out, slide the cover and insert a separate 240VAC cable, which the cover then slides across the 12VDC input. In other words you can't connect 12VDC & 240VAC at the same time. This requires no switching as the Engel's internal wiring knows which source is in use.

Re batteries - There is nothing wrong with using 4 x 60AH batteries wired in parallel to give 240AH total, however.....If batteries are connected in together to do this, they should be;
  • Of the same chemistry[/*]
  • Of the same Brand[/*]
  • Of the same age[/*]
  • Of the same capacity, and[/*]
  • Wiring between them heavy enough for the total capacity of the system, not the individual battery capacity, but more so the expected maximum current draw or recharge amperage whichever is greater.[/*]

If one of a bank of batteries deteriorates, it will damage the others, if unnoticed.

I have a 120AH in my caravan, I'm considering doubling the capacity. There are 2 ways to do this, buy another 120AH and parallel connect or, buy a 240AH battery and replace it. The better option is the 240AH, given that my van battery and a new 120AH will not be of the same age. The other question I need to answer is the size of a 240AH compared to an added 120AH.

Obviously if the batteries are portable, moving 4 smaller batteries will be easier than 1 BIG battery.

Ridge Runner, Can you keep me posted on the ARB please. ?
Still have a week to make up my mind.
40 litre to me is just too small.
47 May just tip the scales in favor of the ARB.
Apart from one post about an early version of this
fridge, I have not been able to find anything bad.

Bobh said:
Engel fridge freezers do not have to be unplugged from 12V when connecting on to 240V. Internal,circuitry will recognise when 240 available and automatically take 240 first. If that is not happening then there is a fault. This applies to all grey, silver and later models; I'm unsure about the old yellow / green models.

Kick myself every time I'm reminded of this.
Over a 12 month period I worked on a device which I named "the black box" to power my old yellow Engel.
Perfected it so it worked a treat. Filled my 350 Honda before heading out prospecting for the day. Started it and plugged the fridge into the 240V and connected the 12V outlet to the battery.
Five hours later when the fuel ran out the "black box" automatically switched the fridge to the battery.
That year visited a 4WD & Camping Show and unfortunately spilt the beans to an Engel engineer who was on one of the stands.
The following year the first dual 240V/12V auto changeover fridges were released.
Such is life. 8.(

Latest posts