Yep,, Fridges Again ??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know we covered this before But did we ever decide which Fridge was the best out of the ARB 47 or the ENGLE MT45-F because I have found them over here at a good price,

Being an Aussie ( you little Beauty ) I have always wanted the Engle, But that ARB has a bit more room and some good features like an internal light and a Drain plug,

So, Fa $%& sake Talk some sense in to me coz I am in dire need of a Hug (mentally) Lol,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvt6XsZiad0#t=180

John

The primary difference is that Engel use the Sawafuji Swing motor and the other brands use the Danfoss compressor. The Sawafuji piston reciprocates using an electro magnet on/off to actuate, whereas the Danfoss is more the standard crank shaft piston.

So the Sawajuji has less moving parts to wear out. As I said previously, my Engel is 23 years old, still going strong. How many have an ARB or Waeco that old and still working?

If all that would fit was an ARB, I would buy one, however ultimately Engel is my choice.

However, like with all else, your final choice is YOURS....

Jaros said:
I think the Engel got the vote John.

Thanks Jaros, yeah I think your right, I love the features on the ARB, But the Engle just says Australia to me and it's a little bit of Home to me, since my lock up got broken in to I notice they pinch my fridge that I had owned since 95, The Dirty little Rascals, which is stupid coz here you can get by with just a cooler,

The ARB is about $1200 and the Engle is about 1300, do you think that's a good price ? It's about the best I have seen so far,

Thanks again Jaros.

condor22 said:
The primary difference is that Engel use the Sawafuji Swing motor and the other brands use the Danfoss compressor. The Sawafuji piston reciprocates using an electro magnet on/off to actuate, whereas the Danfoss is more the standard crank shaft piston.

So the Sawajuji has less moving parts to wear out. As I said previously, my Engel is 23 years old, still going strong. How many have an ARB or Waeco that old and still working?

If all that would fit was an ARB, I would buy one, however ultimately Engel is my choice.

However, like with all else, your final choice is YOURS....

Thanks for that, and I have my heart set on the Engle,

I'm sure Glad to have you blokes around, No one over here has a clue what they are talking about bless em,

John

The only Engel models I can find here are the older models without the 2 digital touch pads, the older one is the MT45F and the newer ones are the Legacy MT45Fcp,

You might also want to have a look at the new Evakool Travelmate range: http://www.evakool.com/fridges/tmx-travelmate-fridge-freezers

A few of my mates had bought them recently and were raving about them, so a few weeks ago I went to a 4WD show and ended up taking one home.

They come with all the AC/DC power adaptors and a well made cover, and I managed to haggle their rep down to nearly $300 off RRP for the 38L model which is all I need.

One of the things I really like about it is the lid - you can open it from either end or take it off completely, which is a bonus if you don't have a fridge slide.

It has an interior light and drainage bung too.

Cheers,
JD

I recall a few years ago that 4wd action did a fridge comparison with the evakool. The ARB won but if anyone read the test results the evakool crupped over everything else in terms of temperature control and was no worse in power consumption if not better. I've got an engel but have to question why I need an insulated cover to help keep it cool. If I got another fridge I'd probably go for the evakool, as bundyjd said it's probably worth a look.
Jon

Have a look at this http://www.unsealed4x4.com.au/issue021/#113 It will explain a bit about getting the best from a portable fridge and explains why re the insulated cover.

In another life (before retirement) I had a little to do with fridge design, amongst a number of other products. Although of the household variety. The basics in getting the best are very similar.

Plus here's the reviews from the above link and from a different issue http://www.unsealed4x4.com.au/issue014/#61

We are running a 1975 model Engle..
That runs 24/7 as the beer fridge ...
Only time it gets turned off is to take from the house and put it in the truck ....
And from the truck back to the house....

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

That's where the everkool construction wins hands down as it doesn't require further insulation plus it freezes to a much lower temperature. Thinner insulation gets you more inside area though for the size of the fridge. ;) The most important measure for me is how constant the fridge can keep the internal temperature as if it is fluctuating by six degrees then it's not doing your food much good. But for the original question between the two fridges I'd go an engel over arb as the engel is very well proven.
Jon

We have in our camping family group 2 ARB 60l low line fridges and a special edition gold engel, they all do the job, but the engel is tall, the arb fits under the tarp on every dual cab and plenty of room inside, lid opens from the end not side,will be investing in the arb myself as I have a dual cab triton

Yeah I'll vote for the engel simply because it has never failed me in 10 years+. Has rattled about in the back of the car on 3 trips around Oz with 1000s of K's of corrugations and been exposed to temps in the high 40's weeks on end in the pilbara many times. Always kept the goods ice cold. More features means more to go wrong too. The drain plug would be a welcome feature on the engel though.

I almost bought an Engel, but I don't use it every day and found it hard to justify the price difference. Even the fact my brother has one and it packed it in just a few weeks short of the warranty expiring didn't really put me off.

I couldn't find a reason not to buy the Evacool.

The 5 year warranty on *everything* appealed to me too.

Bought my first Engel in 82' (39L olde yellow) the only outlay since was $110.00 for a capacitor. Use it as a freezer of late.
2008 bought another Engel (80L combo) Has not missed a beat.
From 1990 a mate of mine has bought two EvaKools, an ARB and he is now on his second Waeco.
Four fridge failures in 16 years and am not sure what total he has outlaid $ wise but do know it is greatly more than two Engels in 34 years.
Engel with out a doubt would have to be the tried and proven portable fridge.

Have to agree with the engel.how many other brands that have come out in the last five to ten years will still be going strong twenty years later.

Correct if I'm wrong R/R but aren't you in the old mother country? Didn't think you would need a fridge over there :)

Latest posts