Creswick creeks

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozziii

Paul
Reaction score
Hi everyone, just looking for some info about Creswick as I want to get a few buckets of gravels to try out at home but not sure what area to dig in. From what I understand Slaty creek is alright pretty much anywhere & I've looked on Google maps & GeoVic 3 to try & get an idea but I've only been in that area once for a quick look so not really sure where I should dig.
I'm not after any secret spots but just a general area where to start would be a big help.
Also, it shows camp ground 3 on Google Maps but not 1 & 2, when I drove through there I didn't see where to go to find them so any help would be very much appreciated.
Thankyou.

Mate its such a large area to cover. Fine gold down from camp 3 pickers up past the first bend. Been hammered

If i had tome id take you for a drive out there mate. My advice park at 3 and walk up

Thanks, I went there for a look before xmas & found the 3rd camp, should be able to get back there no problems.
Looks like the downstream side of camp 3 is close to the road so no doubt its seen a fair bit of work there, will have to take the box trolley thing with some buckets for a look upstream & check out some dirt.
Looking on Google maps I found another camping area, think it was camp one.

I've been interested in checking this area out for a while. Keen to see how it treats you, and I might go have a look soon myself. Tis always good to check out and see a new part of the world ey. Who knows, maybe I'll see you there...

Whats the water situation there at this time of year anyways? I was under the impression that it's all dried up. Maybe I'm wrong, in which case I'll definitely be down soon to have a poke around.

I've been wanting to go have a good look & grab some gravels for a while but just haven't got there, its not far so now the high banker is going I want to try some gravels from there. As far as I know there still isn't any water in Slatey, hasn't been a great deal of rain yet so might be a while before it flows. A few buckets of gravels will do me for now, see how they go then maybe try another few spots from along the creek.

Hi GOlddiggg@,

Hope you have a great day at Slaty creek!!!!!!
Would you be able to post some pics of your trip today if possible :)

I am 2hrs away from Slaty creek and am very keen to see how much "flow" is in the creek at the moment.

finally got around to loading some images up for you, as expected creswick was dry dry dry!!! there's water if you know where to find it but not in the creeks at all. the little odd puddle is well protected by wasps.

i ended up getting 4 buckets of mud off of some bedrock, took it to one of the dams out there on the slatey creek road and ran it through one of the mini highbankers. got a couple of nice chunky bots for the day. was nice to be out and about. the top photos are from right up in the head of the system, if theres no water here theres no water period.

1456725046_20160227_125207.jpg

1456725046_20160227_125219.jpg

1456725548_20160227_131800.jpg

1456725548_20160227_131812.jpg

1456725548_20160227_132149.jpg

1456725548_20160227_133831.jpg

1456725548_20160227_153444.jpg

1456726829_20160227_153502.jpg

1456726750_20160227_161325.jpg

1456726750_20160227_161611.jpg

Hey Golddigga,
Great Pics!!
Thanks heaps for the update!!!

Wow, the creek is sure dry,you done well though.
Nice work.

I cant wait to get back there!!!

Haha mate weve had rain its just not enough to wet a rock. The gullies that flow into slaty have several dams the water only flows once these are full and overflowing. Im not fussed im hapoy to bust out the drywasher and detector

Thanks for posting the great pics & info G0lddigg@, good to see the pics from up around the head of the system too, I'd been looking at them area's on Google Earth etc but hard to tell what its like there.
Good to see you got a few nice little bits while there as well, I might even have to do what you done & set up the banker at one of the dams, save's carting all the gravel back here.

I was thinking of heading out to Slatey tomorrow for a days panning but if there's no water I may as well wait. I was going to head to the third camp and walk as far as I need to go. I haven't tried the area yet and am keen to check it out.

Maybe I'll just spend the day around Daylesford. At least there's a few pools around to wet the pan. On Sunday I took the father in law out with his SDC2300 for an hour or so . He found nothing but I got a 0.15g picker and ended up with 0.34 grams for the session. I would have stayed longer but the FiL had had a gut full, no patience. We were at the Two Bridges picnic ground, found the gold next to the footbridge. I was just scratching around as i had to keep an eye on the old fella so i think i did pretty good. I'll post pics later tonight.

If anyone has an idea of less 'touristy' spots let me know. Anyone had any luck in Stony Creek? I thought I might hike up the creek and check it out. How about Hepburn region? Any water about?

If I stick to Sailors Creek should I go up or downstream? Or maybe there's somewhere nearby that's worth a look?

Yeah hasn't been any decent rain down this way yet, might be lucky to find a couple puddles but unlikely.
I was told Daylseford is alright if you find a good area, still a bit to be found, some small gems as well, haven't been there myself yet but do have a map book as I wouldn't mind checking the place out.

Latest posts