You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

shivan
23 February 2016 06:15 pm

Managed to pick up a second hand Agate master 12" slab saw and what I think is a flat lap today. The saw works , but needs to be cleaned and have a bench made to put the saw on and mount the motor under. Paid $300 which seemed like a reasonable price.
The flat lap works, though I broke the belt when I tested it. It will need some laps and I think some work on the arm, but I thought for $20 it was worth grabbing?
Now just got to find the time to get it all cleaned and together roll
IMG_0518_zpscdal33kd.jpg
IMG_0519_zpspxf5gduv.jpg
IMG_0521_zpsm8dt6p50.jpg

Minelab GP Extreme 11" & 18" DD, 2 highbankers, EZ river sluice and a growing collection of sieves and pans

7 users like this post: Jaros, AtomRat, Dozer, jimnyjerry, silver, Mackka, Colin&Lee

AtomRat
23 February 2016 06:55 pm

Nice trim saw and faceting machine shivan big_smile
For $20, looks better than my $150 one and yours has easier adjustments. Looks great mate smile
Now you just gotta get either sone copper laps and diamond powder..or some pre set laps ( chinese set seem to be working ok for learning )

Did any extras or tools come with the faceting machine?

I'd love to see that faceting / index arm a bit closer to see how its made

Great scores though mate! My faceting machine belt seems to be just a strip of leather held together with two small steel clips

Wisdom is knowing how little you know

shivan
23 February 2016 07:52 pm

Haha, glad you mentioned the belt. On my machine it's the same, it only snapped where the clip was biting so I should be able to get it back together.
No extra tools, so I have a few bits to get before I can play.
Will take a few pics of the arm for you a bit later, not sure how complete it is.

Last edited by shivan (23 February 2016 07:53 pm)

Minelab GP Extreme 11" & 18" DD, 2 highbankers, EZ river sluice and a growing collection of sieves and pans

Lefty
24 February 2016 06:04 am

Nice find there. That saw looks identical to one of the older ones at the club. That's about the last thing I really need to complete my collection for my purposes. I have a 4-inch trim saw, a 7-inch trim saw, a 6-wheeled cabbing machine and a faceting machine - just need a bigger slabbing-type saw.

What breed is that faceting machine?

shivan
24 February 2016 07:07 am

Both items I brought from the club, I was surprised the saw did not go straight away as it sounded like there were a couple of people interested. I will feel very bad if you were one of them Lefty.....
The faceting machine I have no idea on the make. I cant see any stamps or stickers with any kind of mark. The index arm seems in better nick than I had thought, I need to make a stop for one side, but apart from that it seems in good order. So I think I need a water reservoir, laps and dops to get it working.

Here are a couple of pics of the arm AR.
IMG_0522_zpsej64m3dc.jpg
IMG_0523_zpsocj1wugu.jpg
IMG_0524_zpsplkrxz5d.jpg

1 user likes this post: AtomRat

cecc
24 February 2016 07:16 am

Some good gear for you.

Bring On The Color

GallicProspector
24 February 2016 09:30 am

Not a bad buy, the saw looks solid.
The flat lap/faceting machine looks home built or at list modified, but for $20, nothing to be worried, it is a good buy.

I polish and facet gemstones, some are for sale on my etsy: https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/RocksToFac … -info-name

AtomRat
24 February 2016 11:39 am

$20.. what a deal shivan hahaha

Your water reservoir can just be any bottle with a little tap to control flow. Being such a cheap grab the dops and laps will seem nothing

How much do you know about the faceting and machine / setup etc, I can pass on what I learnt about mine soo far if you'd like as they are very similar

Cheers for all the photos too, I may be able to copy the arm for mine ( I don't know if arm is the correct word..we may be scolded haha )

Last edited by AtomRat (24 February 2016 11:41 am)

shivan
24 February 2016 11:53 am

Cheers guys.

AR, I know nothing about faceting or the machines, so my terminology is probably going to be bad.
I got told it seems to be a mast on the left machine and to look at the Gemmasta dops. So I have somewhere to start looking. Though I may end up shooting you a PM if I get stuck.
Just trying to get my head around the different types of laps at the moment.

trev
24 February 2016 12:03 pm

Nice one Shivan, was that through the Illawarra Lapidary Club because i know one of the blokes just bought a heap of second hand equipment for the club with the intention of selling most of it i think. Hope they work/run well for you.

shivan
24 February 2016 04:03 pm

G'day trev, yes it was through the Illawarra lapidary club.
I had heard that the club has picked up a bit of equipment from clubs closing down in the past, I will keep my ear out for anything else that comes up, thanks for the tip.

Lefty
25 February 2016 06:56 am

Both items I brought from the club, I was surprised the saw did not go straight away as it sounded like there were a couple of people interested. I will feel very bad if you were one of them Lefty

Wasn't me, Illawarra too far away for me smile I spend most of my time faceting so there's nothing there that the 4-inch and 7-inch can't handle. But I'll still be wanting a bigger saw as I get my workshop set up. Cabbing material often comes in chunks too big for even a 7-inch to handle.

Cheers

shivan
01 March 2016 12:35 pm

Was just lucky enough to pick up an old 8 - 10 inch trim/slab saw. Needs a motor and blade, but seems to be in good order. I may even be able to set it up with the motor from the larger saw, until its cleaned and mounted.

I see a lot of cleaning and restoration coming up. But hopefully it will be worth it.
Now I just have to find some wet grinders for cabbing before the wife put her foot down....

IMG_0529_zpsiechcarl.jpg
IMG_0530_zpszcb56iwo.jpg

1 user likes this post: blisters

AtomRat
01 March 2016 12:53 pm

Your on a roll mate! Quick! Hide it!
Ohhh.. I like the lathe style wheel / handle!

shivan
14 March 2016 11:53 pm

Still have not got the saws set up yet, but have kind of got the faceting machine working.
I am in the process of machining up some dops, as my machine takes 7.9 mm dops which i do not think are made any more hmm
Only have two dops so far, but have almost made a 45 degree table dop as well.
Made a drip tank today and had a little play with a piece of garnet. Was not trying do cut anything in particular just having fun, but its a start big_smile
IMG_0595_zpsin2asg7j.jpg
IMG_0598_zps08r1qcqv.jpg
IMG_0597_zpsd9us1dgm.jpg

3 users like this post: bazza2210, Heatho, AtomRat

GallicProspector
15 March 2016 08:11 am

Are you sure your dops are not 7.62mm or 0.3"? They would be the same as the Hall machines and the Jersey instruments (OMNI).
Otherwise contact Anthony (Rough2cut), he can make dops for you.

I polish and facet gemstones, some are for sale on my etsy: https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/RocksToFac … -info-name

shivan
15 March 2016 09:20 am

I wish they were a more standard size. I almost brought a set of the omni dops when i first got it, but luckily got a digital caliper first. They measure at 7.96 mm.
The first dop we tried machining got cut back too much and it was actually 7.6 mm, there was a lot of play in the arm so just started again.
I knew Rough2cut made laps, but did not know he made dops as well, cheers.

AtomRat
15 March 2016 10:09 am

Looks like its coming along a beaut shivan and hopefully r2c can give you some help with those missing dops smile

AtomRat
29 March 2016 05:39 pm

How's the faceting going shivan and other new equipment?

shivan
29 March 2016 08:55 pm

G'day AR, I have had a play around with the faceting machine using the cutting discs, but am yet to get a pre-polish and polishing laps. As i am still limited with dops for now i have only been able to cut small stones. The first stone i found out i needed to keep the bolts on the mast tight, or there is play in the angle hmm . The second stone, i managed to drop while i was transferring and broke the stone in half roll . The third i had vaguely resembling a cut stone before i smashed it into the side of the lap cry . The fourth stone i managed to cut, but there seemed to be a problem in transferring, as the angles did not line up. I tried to fix them by eye, but it ended up slightly out.
I think i have found a few problems i will try to fix whilst saving for polishing laps and hold off more cutting till then.
Have also been shaping a few stones for cabbing and doing a few flats.

These are the two stones that survived my butchery.
IMG_0618_zpsmoc8u0v6.jpg
IMG_0606_zpskkpkw3he.jpg

As for the saws, i have pulled the smaller saw apart, sanded and painted it. Have oiled the bearings in the arbor and cleaned the vice. Just need one more coat of paint and a blade. The bigger saw is still sitting there as i am still in the process of building a bench for it. Also trying to decide if i should pull it apart and clean everything first. Slowly getting there though.
IMG_0619_zpso7kwljw4.jpg

3 users like this post: ktmman, AtomRat, Heatho

willo1
29 March 2016 09:12 pm

Looks great Shivan. smile

shivan
12 April 2016 09:36 am

Managed to get my hands on a two wheel grinder combo. Needs a few bits and pieces, and maybe a touch of paint under the wheels, but should do the trick.
IMG_0622_zpsthubbr0s.jpg
IMG_0621_zpsonk8qxtg.jpg

AtomRat
12 April 2016 10:55 am

Lovely setup mate, I think ypu nearly have it all but a flatlap yeah? Was anyone able to help you to get a transfer jig for dopping stones from one to another dop?

shivan
12 April 2016 11:28 am

I did manage to get a transfer jig, i believe it was for an omni machine, but my larger dops fit in ok.
My biggest problem with the faceting machine at the moment, is that the pivots for the arm are slightly out, which means the arm has a slight lean on it. I have a few different ideas to fix the problem, but may have to take it to a shop to get done as i lack the tools to do it accurately.

I have just seem a Ultra Tec V2R which i am thinking about, may be a better option so i can get started.

AtomRat
12 April 2016 11:48 am

It would be a lovely machine to have mate, only seen the youtube vids but at least you should get great accuracy and precision. The price really shows what qualities can be produced when it comes to faceting. Starting with a full setup and not needing unknown extras or fixes is always a bonus. Hope you get onto one soon:)

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site