family fun - school holidays

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

we are a family of 5 and my daughter who has Aspergers (autism) loves rocks! (shes 12)

I know nothing about fossicking and live in Victoria (stanhope) and wanted over the school holidays let the children fossick. My problem is that i know nothing about fossicking and nor do we have any tools, locations etc - very interested in thunder eggs etc

I was hoping for somewhere i can go that will have a guide with us? someone to show us and supply the tools. Im hoping that this idea will be successful for my daughter and she has a extremely keen eye - she currently collects smooth rocks - texture and studies rocks and picks ones that she finds unique - nothing of value.

I kind of want out little adventure to be successful - that the children can find something to bring home.

Can anyone suggest anything - i kind of liked mt tambourine in qld set up.. is there something here in Victoria!?

Any help would be great!

Hi Kelly They find thunder eggs around Mooralla near the Grampians so only a couple of hours drive, Stratford in East Gippsland aswell. But almost any creek will have plenty of cool rocks for the kids, My daughter has a box full from when we go gold panning, she loves them. Goodluck.

G'day Kelly,

May i suggest the possibility of joining a fossicking club as they have regular supervised outings to many of the locations you are seeking. If you search the web for "McMillan Rockhounds Inc. you will find a club right up your ally. You can call the Club President Steve Dingwall on (03) 5147 1186 and he can run you through what the club can offer.

They are quite cheap to join and search often locally for thunder eggs and many semi precious stones. You will find they are family oriented and you will also be able to have your stones cut using their facilities.....Best of luck.

Cheers Wal,