Tumbarumba Gemfields

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been reading up a bit on the gemfield around Tumbarumba NSW and was wanting some info from anyone who may know about the area if it is worth a 5hr drive up there? A little local knowledge goes a long way. It looks interesting but I don't want to take a huge drive for nothing. While GG is closer, I was wanting to expand my horizons so to speak. Any info would be helpful.
Thanks
Matt

Give it a go is the only way to find out sometimes. That area is rarely mentioned here, if you go there please do a write up on it. Cheers. Rubies are mentioned as coming from the area.

Thanks Heatho, the info I have read looks interesting but I was hoping for some unwritten knowledge if you know what I mean. It all helps. Cheers

Bezza said:
Thanks Heatho, the info I have read looks interesting but I was hoping for some unwritten knowledge if you know what I mean. It all helps. Cheers

After watching that vid it looks like somewhere well worth investigating, what's the worst that could happen, could have a great time trying, gemstones would be the icing on the cake. If I had any local knowledge or secret info I'd gladly help out. Anyway if you try there I hope it's good.

Awesome! Let us know how you go.

I have a friend up there who has a bunch of land so would be interesting to see...

I don't even know if there is gold there, i was going to do a bit of panning to test but it is a bit of a drive.

The drive is putting me off a bit but I'm going to give it a run. If nothing else it's a great looking area

Went up to Tumbarummba on Sunday 6 hour drive up 5 hours there and 65 hours back to Melbourne 16 hour round trip but my daughter needs to get her hours up for her learners so it was fun.

Not sure of where to go I had been trying to reed some old geological studies on gems in the areas and decided to try Tumbarumba creek up near laurel hill just near a ford on back creek road.

absolutely beautiful areas had the waders so wandered up the creek. banks completely infested with blackberries so no access any other way at this spot.

sieved for a few hours and had not a lot of luck found some really nice smallish pieces of Smokey quartz and that was it. there was a lot of gold mining activity in this area in the past so the creeks may have been stripped then or I am just looking in the right places. I could not get very far up the creek as fallen trees blocked the creek only a few hundred meters up.

I will be back though beautiful area and I want to try Parsons Gully\ Buddong creek and paddys river

Can any one tell me where ruby creek is and whether this is a another name for buddong creek.

I was also wondering whether any one has had any luck up that way any general pointer or directions in the area would be much appreciated as well the creeks are all long and I was wondering which areas in particular were the main fossicking zones :)

Well after 2.5hrs on Paddy's River, Tumbarumba, we ended up with a heap of red zircon, a few nice sapphires and one or two stones I think might be ruby's, as this area is known for ruby's but I don't know how to tell. Very pleased. Pictures to follow later.

UFO said:
Can any one tell me where ruby creek is and whether this is a another name for buddong creek.
From the document linked to above:
"Gem concentrates were recovered from three main locations; upper Tumbarumba Creek (S.A. Millers Property); Upper Buddong Creek (Parsons Gully) and upper Paddys River (Ruby Creek)."

Directly behind Paddy's River flat camping area. Behind the toilet block. Having another go today. Does anyone know the easiest way to determine if a stone is ruby or zircon? Thanks

Bezza said:
Directly behind Paddy's River flat camping area. Behind the toilet block. Having another go today. Does anyone know the easiest way to determine if a stone is ruby or zircon? Thanks

Rubies will flouresce a quite bright hot pink under UV light, Zircons won't at all. As Matt said a specific gravity test will work if you have big enough stones but my fav test is UV.

Check the glow from the Ruby in this ring I found.

1453335804_20150528_180601.jpg

These also.
1453335941_20140504_174645.jpg

1453335942_20140504_174719.jpg

Latest posts