M3's hunt results

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holey crap,.. never seen it do that before, what sort of container did you use M3 :eek:

Just a plastic measureing cup, there is no gunk left on it so it is clean in that sense, but yeah just really badly tarnished now. Know of any methods to polish out tarnished rings?

You could try the CLR,... BUT THERE'D BE NO GAURANTEES ON IT GOING FROM BAD TO WORSE. Was it just plated ? Hard to imagine exactly what happened to make it doo that,.. did it happen realy fast, and what was the ratio of your mix M3 ?

What sort of plastic container ?
I can repeat the experiment with two silver rings,... one in plastic and one in ceramic just to see if it is the acid and plastic that's causing it.perhaps repeat your wash but in a new batch in ceramic container/ramikin.

I'd hate to say it, but it looks like the ring may have been silver plate over copper, despite the .925 hallmark. I have run a couple of .925 rings via cab, and it doesn't tarnish nor do much at all really. The cab mainly reacts to the copper content of 50% silver coins, hence why I think the acid has reacted with the copper in your ring, and caused the silver plating to lift off the copper base.

Could be wrong, but from the supplied pics it does seem to make some sense. What ID did you get on the 705 for the ring, that might tell half the story.

Eeeee 8) I hope not Goldpick, I thought the 925 hallmark was to indicate that the ring was made of 92.5% silver? If i remember correctly the 705 was bouncing around 24 - 28, i remember hoping the target would be a thrip.

The ratio i used was 1 teaspoon to half a cup of water and let it soak all up for about 1 and a half mins and tarnished almost straight away.

Is there an identifying mark on the bottom of your plastic bowl that tells the type of plastic at all ? :D

White, no named el cheapo. I think it came in one of those 100pce kits thingys that has just about everything ya need for ya kitchen, pots, pans, spatulas, measuring cups and spoons etc etc.

A small plated copper ring air tests around the 3/4 mark in the high 60's low 70's on my G2, a similar sized solid silver ring comes up in the 80's, larger rings in the 90's. So yours may a little low for solid silver. Probably need to run it over the detector again to see what ID you get on an air test vs an in-ground ID.

Regardless of hallmarks on rings, there are plenty of chinese knock offs around that are falsely stamped, both for gold and silver rings - Ebay is full of them unfortunately.

A while back I actually ordered a couple of nice looking though cheapo rings from China as a bit of a test. Surely enough they were all crappy plated rings or rolled gold, despite having the proper hallmarks. It was obvious from their feedback that many customers had been misled. Once they get too much bad feedback, they just close up their account and start up another under a different user name to catch out more people. :rolleyes:

Thanks Goldpick i will try an air test tomorrow, I'm pretty sure I've got another silver ring around here that can compare signals on the 705.

I spose if there is 1 good thing to take from all this and it is just a silver plated copper ring then if it were actual 925 silver then the CAB should not of affected it and I have just discovered what it really is instead of thinkin its somthing that its not 8) :D

Just when I thought I had February's find of the month in the bag :p

Yes, it was a bit strange that it reacted in such a way only after being in the CAB solution for only a short period of time.

Although it might be a bit disappointing on the outcome of the ring, it's still a good learning process for identifying finds, and the best methods to use for cleaning various metals. I too have had my fair share of pulling rings from the beach or parks, only to be disappointed to find they are junkers when I got home.

Even this haggard looking skinny silver ring will read in the low 80's (out of 0-99) on my detector, and most 705 ID charts I have looked at will place silver rings in the high 30's through to 40's, depending on size. If in the ground, you can probably drop a digit or two off those numbers to take into account ground conditions.

1455630964_img_20160217_001325.jpg

Bummer about the ring, I've put a few in a CAB as well and never had a problem either. I think as GP said it's a knock off. I was a bit sceptical at first by the stone as well, it doesn't really look like and precious or semi precious stone I've seen.

Sterling Silver always comes up with a very high target ID on the CTX, usually above 46 out of a possible 50. The last silver ring I scored was 12:48.

M3talmiliti4 said:
Eeeee 8) I hope not Goldpick, I thought the 925 hallmark was to indicate that the ring was made of 92.5% silver? If i remember correctly the 705 was bouncing around 24 - 28, i remember hoping the target would be a thrip.

The ratio i used was 1 teaspoon to half a cup of water and let it soak all up for about 1 and a half mins and tarnished almost straight away.

I had tested 10 silver rings I got with 705 and all come up between 34 to 44 . The thin one come with lowes number, chunky one with highest.
Funny,but it does not work same way with silver chains. Tested 5 of them and got 16 to 20.
Karl

Thanks for all your input guys, definitely a knock off heatho regardless of the 925 hallmark which is very interesting, i spose if anyone is wondering if there 925 silver ring is a knock off just chuck it in a CAB :D

Just compared TID on the 705 with a known 925 ring that i have and the knock off, the real 925 silver pings out at 44 and the knock off pings at 22-24.

I will put the known 925 ring in a CAB tonight same ratio same duration and compare results. Will let ya know how it goes.

Hey everyone, it's been a while since my last hunt. Between work, our small business and planning/packing/organising for my 3 week stint in the north Qld gold fields with the father in law in mid june i haven't had much time to get out and shoot some coins.
Today, finally, i had a chance to sneak a quick hunt in between family time and dinner :p

Not too much to show for it, $2.30, a junker ring (thankfully coz it looks like it has been cleaned up by the mower, or maybe it was the spade as i was digging the hole :8)

The other ring shaped object I'm not to sure about, don't know whether it is a ring or i was thinking maybe a copper bushing? Any idea's thoughts?

1463309805_2016-05-15_20.39.45.jpg

1463309836_2016-05-15_20.40.40.jpg

1463309859_2016-05-15_20.41.13.jpg

1463309880_2016-05-15_20.41.35.jpg

Cheers,

M3

Latest posts