M3's hunt results

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey M3. Try the specific gravity test on your ring. The PA guys will be able to advise how. Anyway, it being "heavish" rules out Aluminium (2.6g/cc) and Titanium (4.5g/cc), leaving: Stainless Steel ((~7.7g.cc), Nickel/Silver (~8.7g/cc), Silver (10.5g/cc), Tungsten (19.6g/cc).....Then..... there's......white gold!

BigWave said:
Hey M3. Try the specific gravity test on your ring. The PA guys will be able to advise how. Anyway, it being "heavish" rules out Aluminium (2.6g/cc) and Titanium (4.5g/cc), leaving: Stainless Steel ((~7.7g.cc), Nickel/Silver (~8.7g/cc), Silver (10.5g/cc), Tungsten (19.6g/cc).....Then..... there's......white gold!

Yeah thanks BigWave I might just try that, I know there are already a few topics on here on how to test for specific gravity so I'll have a look.

Thanks mate :)

So sg test of the ring came back at 8.33? I tested the method used against I sapphire until I was confident it would be accurate.
Still not too sure what it is.

Well M3, that rules out a lot (inc white gold :( ), but unfortunately is still not definitive.

Most likely (in my opinion) are:

1. Monel (Nickel/Copper) 8.36-8.8g/cc (although some are allergic to nickel).
2. Nickel/Silver 8.4 -8.9g/cc,
3. Stainless Steel 7.5 - 8g/cc (probably too low SG).

There are many other alloys it could be, including plated brass/bronze etc.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific. Unless others have more ideas, it will be one of life's mysteries - unless you take it to a metallurgist.

So went for a quick hunt for about an hour this arvo, a quick swing over a park I have been sussing out.
Today was finally the day :D :lol: :D 8.( :D
My first pre dec coins, the first one I found was a 1951 three pence and was only my 4th target into the hunt and the 1961 penny was 2 targets after the thrip and only about 2 meters away and was the last target i dug for the afternoon. Could not wipe the smile from my face the whole way home :D

Finally all that hard work and persistance and those countless hours of ignoring the wife while I research the history of the area has paid off ;)

Im a very happy man, and those beers are going to taste extra beery this arvo.

1454398799_2016-02-02_17.25.03.jpg

1454398836_2016-02-02_17.25.27.jpg

Any advise on how to clean these coins up properly without doing too much damage?

M3 :D

congrats! i haven't found many either mate and when i do its so satisfying i don't mind if i don]t find much else.

i dont have a penny or a thrip yet.

theres a thread here somewhere about citric acid, works great but dont put ya coppers with ya silvers.

i cleaned the florin in my avatar with it 2 nights ago :D and all my moderns.

You can clean coppers up with a hammer (only joking ),..as they have only copper worth unless rare,.. wire brush if you have too for the rubbish ones,... they,ll get a new patina going on over the next 50 years or so.
For the silver, have a look just recently on my thread" my hunt results" and you will see the most recent method discussed there. ;) :D

Thanks numpty definitely a good feeling :D

I do remember reading the whole citric acid thing but wasnt sure if the thrip would survive the bath.
So your saying no point in cleaning up the penny? And dont store the silvers with the coppers?

Sorry for the newb questions but like I said, first PD's :D

Ramjet said:
Yay! Huge congrats. First pre dec and first silver. Awesomness :D

Yep all in the one go :D
Did not realise it was so small, haha, almost gave up on it :8 the signal was bouncin all over the place, lucky I didnt.

M3talmiliti4 said:
Thanks numpty definitely a good feeling :D

I do remember reading the whole citric acid thing but wasnt sure if the thrip would survive the bath.
So your saying no point in cleaning up the penny? And dont store the silvers with the coppers?

Sorry for the newb questions but like I said, first PD's :D

not sure the best way to do the penny, i think GP said put it in olive oil over a few weeks.

i meant dont clean silver coins in the same tub of mixture that you clean non silver coins, when cleaning keep silvers separate.

Congrats on hitting those first PDs M3. :p
you can clean up a penny, but just don't use the same methods as for silvers,... some use electrolysis, some use tumblers etc,... personally I just throw them in to an icecream container and after I can see which ones won't go green, I put the good ones together in a different container for the future, and bag up the bad ones. :D

Go again,... or look up my clr method,... or go the bicarb if you must (although I recon it micro scratches a little bit myself ). ;)

silver said:
Go again,... or look up my clr method,... or go the bicarb if you must (although I recon it micro scratches a little bit myself ). ;)
How long is too long for a citric acid bath?
I might concentrate it a little more too?

You be guinea piggin soon then,... just post your results for us all (id just stick with 1 & 1/2 minute increments and see how you go). ;)

Latest posts