M3's hunt results

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hope you guys don't mind me starting a new topic showing results of my hunts :)

I stumbled across a playground yesterday afternoon which I didnt know was there while looking at property boundaries on Qld globe.

So I want for a quick swing this morning for about an hour just to scope the place out, the sand pit is huge and will take some work to cover the hole thing. The park around it is also quiet large as well and that is where i found the crusty $1 on my way back to the car, so the park has some hope too.

Little bit of trash
$3.40
A 5 cent coin from Singapore ( :eek: what the)
And my first ring :D
It is either a ladies or childs ring and not too sure what its made from, don't think it's silver :(

1452467204_2016-01-11_08.46.11.jpg

1452467241_2016-01-11_08.45.18.jpg

1452467291_2016-01-11_08.39.41.jpg

1452467337_2016-01-11_08.14.55.jpg

Nice one mate, pretty good feeling getting your first ring and the ones after that ;) any hallmarks?

Thanks Havinago, for sure mate I thought it was going to be a coin then I got a nice little surprise :)
No, no markings on it which makes me think its nothing special, it is quiet solid though doesn't feel flimsy like a cheap toy ring.
Is there anyway to tell what it might be made of?

Looks silver from here M3 (unless it is super light, then it'll be aluminum ) ,... promising new spot with the thrill of the hunt ( maybe untouched in the outfields). ;)

I wouldnt know how to tell what it is without hallmarks, there maybe be some tests others can point you too, It looks like silver to me, silver will give you a much higher reading on your detector than a coin unless its a pre dec silver coin, that would be a good indicator ;)

Is it heavyish?

It feels heavyish for its size, and it does feel quiet solid as well, pretty sure its not aluminium if it was i would expect it to be a lot lighter and feel flimsy.
Its hard to tell as i have nothing to compare it too. It did give off a high tone, I thought it was going to be a $2 coin before I dug it, it gave me a 34tid on the xterra

Yep very promising new spot :) and its just round the corner from home, takes about 2 mins to drive there :D

I am going to be kept quiet busy between this spot and the old sports ground I have found were they have been playing cricket since the late 1800's

Ramjet said:
My son's wedding ring is titanium. Heavy and looks like silver but rings up like a gold one on my detector.
That's a bit weird - titanium is a notably lightweight metal, only half the weight of silver and a fifth the weight of gold. Are you sure it isn't a gold ring with a titanium band around it, which seem to be quite a popular style?

M3talmiliti4 said:
No, no markings on it which makes me think its nothing special, it is quiet solid though doesn't feel flimsy like a cheap toy ring.

With those smoothly rounded edges, it doesn't look like a cheap toy ring, but it would be unusual to have no writing indicating the precious metal content of a silver ring, usually on the inside of the band in tiny numerals/letters as 925 or Stg Sil or similar. These notations can get quite worn away over time, as silver is a pretty soft metal.

You can test for silver with a small droplet of household bleach on the surface - silver will very quickly oxidise and blacken (you can polish the mark off afterwards).

I ran the xterra over it again and its pinging nicely around the mid 30's I'm thinkin its silver :D

I couldn't see any markings but i will have a closer look, thanks for the tip grubstake I will try the bleach test and get back to ya.

My wedding band is tungsten and has 5 diamond stones in it, it is pretty heavy and bulky but doesn't dent and stays nice and shiny, good to have if you have a hands on job, it cops alot of knocks and almost looks the same as the day I got it :)

M3talmiliti4 said:
My wedding band is tungstenand has 5 diamond stones in it, it is pretty heavy and bulky but doesn't dent and stays nice and shiny, good to have if you have a hands on job, it cops a lot of knocks and almost looks the same as the day I got it :)

Tungsten is close to gold in weight, so your ring certainly would be heavy. According to Wikipedia, "The word tungsten comes from the Swedish language tung sten, which directly translates to heavy stone." It's also harder than many types of steel, so it won't easily pick up any bruises while being worn, unlike titanium which is lightweight and strong, but not as hard. I wonder whether Ramjet's son's ring is perhaps tungsten, not titanium?

Tungsten wedding bands are quiet popular these days for males because of their durability. On the inside of mine it says tungsten/cobalt

Alright reslults are in for the ring i found down the park.
I had a closer look and it definitely has no markings.
I put a little droplet of bleach on the inside of the ring and let it pool there for about a minute, flicked the bleach off but didn't rinse it under water.
I could see a slight change of colour where the droplet was compared to the rest of the ring, rinsed it under water and gave it a rub and the dark shade disappeared, does this sound right to you grubstake is this what you would expect to see?

1452493479_2016-01-11_16.14.59.jpg

1452493529_2016-01-11_16.12.21.jpg

M3talmiliti4 said:
I put a little droplet of bleach on the inside of the ring and let it pool there for about a minute, flicked the bleach off but didn't rinse it under water.
I could see a slight change of colour where the droplet was compared to the rest of the ring, rinsed it under water and gave it a rub and the dark shade disappeared, does this sound right to you grubstake is this what you would expect to see?

Unfortunately, not. I've just done a trial for you on a known silver ring - see following pic. The staining is dark grey/black and cannot be removed by rubbing: it will need some Silvo polish to restore the shiny silver finish.
1452494703_2016-01-11_14.36.35.jpg

AtomRat said:
Looks like stainless or stirling to me..stirling is probably stamped too tho
I was also thinking stainless too AtomRat.

grubstake said:
Unfortunately, not. I've just done a trial for you on a known silver ring - see following pic. The staining is dark grey/black and cannot be removed by rubbing: it will need some Silvo polish to restore the shiny silver finish.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4012/1452494703_2016-01-11_14.36.35.jpg

I had anothet look and it looks as though the dark mark is still there, but it definitely didn't turn out how your known silver ring has :(

Ohh well still a good find in my eyes and the area is quiet promising :D

Thanks for all your help guys

M3

AtomRat said:
I detected one real similar M3 which had a black skull pattern anodized into it which rubbed off after a week of me wearing it, and it looks close to yours in the photo bud

Oh yeah nice do you know what it was made of? This one is just plan no marking no patterns, doesn't fit past the second knuckle on my pinky so its either a childs or ladies ring so i wont be wearing this bling it will be goin straight to the finds bucket :D

grubstake said:
Ramjet said:
My son's wedding ring is titanium. Heavy and looks like silver but rings up like a gold one on my detector.
That's a bit weird - titanium is a notably lightweight metal, only half the weight of silver and a fifth the weight of gold. Are you sure it isn't a gold ring with a titanium band around it, which seem to be quite a popular style?

M3talmiliti4 said:

With those smoothly rounded edges, it doesn't look like a cheap toy ring, but it would be unusual to have no writing indicating the precious metal content of a silver ring, usually on the inside of the band in tiny numerals/letters as 925 or Stg Sil or similar. These notations can get quite worn away over time, as silver is a pretty soft metal.

You can test for silver with a small droplet of household bleach on the surface - silver will very quickly oxidise and blacken (you can polish the mark off afterwards).

I will ask him again what it's made of.

Got out for a quick swing this arvy before mother nature rudely interrupted :|

Was out for under an hour and was right in the thick of it when all of a sudden "CA-RACK" looked up and the dark black clouds started to roll in 8.(

Anyway nuthin to brag about but thought I would chuck it up on the forum.

1453625783_2016-01-24_18.43.36.jpg

Ended up with 1 dollar, 1 bb and a blob of sumthin not too sure (any ideas) pinged out at 34 on the TID of the 705 was thinkin a bit of lead before I gave it a little wash.

1453626009_2016-01-24_18.43.58.jpg

My first pre dec coin was just round the corner too I could feel it :D ahh well maybe next time.

Latest posts