First cabs

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivarat

Brad Grant
Reaction score
Just been having a play today with the tools that I have at home.

1451620212_cabs.jpg

The agate 9.5mm in dia is from Kununurra WA when I worked there on a watermelon farm 20 years ago. The chrystophrase 11.5 mm in dia

I have an
Tile saw
old lapidary grinder (had for the last 18 years or so but haven't tried cabbing until now)which I've been using for my wood turning tools relatively fine wheel (don't know what) with a hand squirt bottle.
and a wood lathe, I mounted the dop in the chuck and sanded with wet and dry (down to worn 1200) after grinding. Polished with some polishing compound for metal whilst on the lathe.
not the best method but sometimes you just have to make do with what you have.

Mrs Silver loves them(both of yours Rivarat),..... she has a SEQ agate that she picked up once a long time ago, and has been cabbed and set for her in silver.
Here is hers that she found as it is now.
1451622868_sam_5270.jpg

She is very happy with the fact that something she once picked up now hangs around her neck when she wants it to. :p :D
Once you get yours polished up like glass they will get even better to look at then they are now(which is already fantastic). :D

There good lookin bits Rivarat ;)
Ive got a heap of petrified wood (all diferent sorts) that ide like to cut, polish and turn into pendants like mrs silvers agate
Was inspired by SA Bogans recent silversmithing work

Latest posts