Are these sapphires worth cutting ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

headbut

Paul
Reaction score
Hi Guys , when I saw the difference in size of some of the sapphires you guys have found, & not even counting the monster Wal found . shown live on his youtube video, to the small ones I have, are these worth getting faceted?,I found all of these at Sapphire bend & have heard they are smaller stones , but good clarity. All of the blue ones are totally translucent & the 2 biggesst 2.5ct each , are hopefully vivid & not bombs , your opinion is appreciated. The photos are not the best , will try to put up clearer shots
1371126435_photo0125.jpg

1371126679_photo0123.jpg

1371126733_photo0127.jpg

1371127038_photo0122.jpg

1371127053_photo0126.jpg

G'day headbut,

Our general rule of thumb regarding cutable size is, If its clear and the size of a match head (red head) or bigger, then the stone is worth sending over to a place like "Lamberts". The small ones make great shoulder stones for rings.

Once the stones get over 5ct they should be cut locally by a competent cutter. Many of these can be sourced through the lapidary clubs.

Even though the pics aren't very clear quite a few of the ones shown look to be good enough to cut and will look great.

Cheers Wal.

Thanks Wal , some of them are then big enough, will look at sending them over. Hope we get some bigger ones in Armadale ;)

Best of luck up there mate, I know of some spectacular stones from up that way, so with a little bit of luck you'll add some beauties to your collection. Take 2 jumpers and 3 jackets with you and leave the thongs at home.

Cheers Wal,

Hi people .

What kind of valuations do sapphires have when cut ?

i have seen large uncut ones with good colour being sold on ebay at prices under $ 30 and some others listed at $ 500

what are they really worth ?

Hi,
That question is a bit like how long is a piece of string, there are so many variables that go into determining the price of a sapphire. Rarer colours and stone clarity are probably the 2 biggest factors but you need to also consider shape of rough stones, cut quality in faceted stones, overall weight etc, etc.
I have not found enough to bother selling them but I hope one day I will have that issue.

Regards

Richard

HeadsUp said:
Hi people .

What kind of valuations do sapphires have when cut ?

i have seen large uncut ones with good colour being sold on ebay at prices under $ 30 and some others listed at $ 500

what are they really worth ?

Nearly every stone you see on ebay is a heat treated stone from overseas and many are synthetic stones. You'll never find a natural Australian Sapphire of quality on ebay.

If you find one and it's cheap, then it's in the same league as the Chinese GPX5000. Same goes for Opal. The link below gives you a more realistic indication of what natural sapphires are worth, and also information about them.

http://www.australiansapphire.com/stones_list.htm

Cheers, Wal :)

some nice vibrant colors, they look nice and clear, good find I say mate, I have been to weejasper 2 times now with just seive and pan, all up 8 hour work, and found only green and red, would like to find some blues of clarity you found