Aldi Detector on sale Wednesday 30th December.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Add a few bars to the discrim Jeff, 8 or 9. . Also when it sees a big target it will reject it as junk, they are primarilly a coin hunter with discrim on. Even $1 coins it can have trouble with if they are right on the surface. If it still won't signal properly after adjusting the discrim then yeah it's not working right.

I used mine on all metal - in disc & notch it wouldn't find anything. Found a 1942 penny & a 1950 threepenny, so it works, but seems slow to respond and difficult to pinpoint the target. Wouldn't recommend the MD to an absolute beginner.

Got one at opening time.One other guy bought one and there was 10 left when I left.Tried it out in the backyard and found a 1c piece(woohoo paying for itself already LOL) a Shelly's cola bottle cap,a screw and 20c euro.Headed to the park and pulled a few bits of wire out of the sandpit,some of those foil fruit juice caps and heaps of ring pulls.Ground was rock hard,6 yr old son got bored but I still had fun.Heatho,how do I discriminate out the scrap stuff?

Bought one this morning, had a quick swing at the local park, heaps of pull tabs, some bottle tops and $1.11
Only 89 more trips like that one and it has paid for its self :p
All jokes aside, seemed to work OK on all metal setting but obviously picks up all metal (crap), discriminate seems a bit funny but probably just the user.

Heatho said:
Add a few bars to the discrim Jeff, 8 or 9. . Also when it sees a big target it will reject it as junk, they are primarilly a coin hunter with discrim on. Even $1 coins it can have trouble with if they are right on the surface. If it still won't signal properly after adjusting the discrim then yeah it's not working right.

The Discrim. was up to the ring pull symbol in the video . I have tried other setting etc ,, it still doesnt work properly . I only got it for its "Notch" ability
, but as I found out , it is a preset thing and not what I want . I'll stick to the Fors Gold ;) Just going to get a refund methinks .

There was a pretty big line up in Bundaberg when I got there just before opening. Luckily most people made a beeline for the camping gear first. Wasn't many left after about 15 mins of the store being opened.

Grabbed one for a family member in Darwin, they are Aldi deprived in the top end.

LOL, I finally got Disc and Notch to work - after confusing myself by reading the instructions and pressing lots of buttons! Making all the right noises.
Maybe I'm a slow learner, but I think I may enjoy this MD after all!

theluckyone said:
LOL, I finally got Disc and Notch to work - after confusing myself by reading the instructions and pressing lots of buttons! Making all the right noises.
Maybe I'm a slow learner, but I think I may enjoy this MD after all!

got any tips mate. im still confused

Yeah, I'm still a bit confused as well lol, but I've got the different tones happening at least.
Turn it on, press 'Disc' or 'Notch', then 'Disc/Notch' ; then hold down the '+' button until the bar graph goes to the end - and then just dig the 2 higher tones.
That's all I've worked out so far - need a lot more hours using it to be confident though.

I popped down yesterday and couldn't help myself. Its not what I'm after, but it will do for my partner and girls to walk around with when I have my own. Went for a swing close by and tested out the settings. Dug a $2 and a saddle buckle and many bottle tops. I was pretty impressed when it found a metal ring from under metal bottle caps before you crack a bottle, I've never had that before.

I just read on a forum $1 and $2 close coin issues can be solved using notch. This does a low blarp for iron signals and medium / high for rings and coins. Descrim is easy to use, set it to Disc mode, press disc/notch and press the + button to add what bats you want active. I take it to the first s-tabs and is why I dug soo many bottle caps, but I was hoping for a ring I may have missed in the past..no 8)

When in Notch mode, press notch/disc and press + and you will notice the bars fill from both sides. Probably press it 2 - 4 times for hunting. The low signals will tell you when your in a trashy spot, trashy = finds. I dig dig 3 bits of can slaw..but for the most it seemed fine.

It seemed a bit jumpy and made phantom signals or eliminated signals the more I waved over them. Hopefully they were just trash signals the detector was struggling with. A few high tones appeared and dissapeared too

These detectors are easily available in south-east melbourne, many left.

Heatho, rocketaroo or RJ would be able to say if I've written this correctly

I like the Aldi detector now... I was walking across my local footy oval, not wearing headphones which is nice, and I heard the highest tone. So I swung around a bit, and still high - so with a careful dig... out popped a 1914 shilling. Nice for a Sunday morning, lol. MD was set to Disc on maximum. Coin was maybe 50 mm down.
Damn thing works well, lol.

theluckyone said:
I like the Aldi detector now... I was walking across my local footy oval, not wearing headphones which is nice, and I heard the highest tone. So I swung around a bit, and still high - so with a careful dig... out popped a 1914 shilling. Nice for a Sunday morning, lol. MD was set to Disc on maximum. Coin was maybe 50 mm down.
Damn thing works well, lol.
Detecting etiquette means we should stay off the ovals,... lest someone else see and rip in and make a mess, making it more likely that some places will vent their anger at the damage by placing signs banning detecting,.. making it harder for every detector operator who does the right thing,. Still happy you scored a shilling though. :)

Thanks for the reply, silver. The oval hasn't been used for anything since the '70's I guess- it's full of rabbit burrows, and the local fire brigade burns it off every year - my town, like many in north west Victoria is long past its glory days and most of the population is gone - so its hard to find spendables; but fairly easy to find pre-dec coins. Thanks for the advice anyway - I try to keep out of trouble, lol.

Alls good Lucky, just show'n and tellin for the sake of the uninitiated on lookers that are thinking of skilling up on their new Alditectas. :D

Numpty and I discovered a flaw that happened unexpectedly. When in disc and notch..the aldi didn't want to work temporarily for about 5 mins. I don't know why but it fixed itself up in the end and we were able to swing it fine. I think I got a 1c and a spoon with the aldi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts