Grabben Gullen Destruction

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive brought it to the attention of some of our local councillors & am hoping something will come from that.

"The boss" and I are planning to go to GG sometime in the next few weeks.
Though it is a long time since my last visit, I still have many fond memories of the place.
It's also where I went on my first ever fossicking trip maybe - 40 years ago.
I hope GG is never closed to the public because of the acts of a few mongrels.

I have only been out there once which was probably 6 months ago.

Massive holes everywhere in the banks near the bridge.

Is GG still open? I've been there once and found nothing, but I'd like to take my pan up there again soon.

Baz.

As of today, the water is barely flowing. It seems to be moving under the ground in areas. A lot of the pools of water are going or have already become stagnant. The depth of some holes people are digging is just bulls*!t. Some would be getting to 3m deep and there's one cavity that you would be able to crawl in and only your shoes would be seen. It's only a matter of time before someone gets caved in on and they shut the area down.

I dig bag 3 sapphires but nothing size worthy to write home about.

lost a few spots here in WA because of this. We have f/all fossiking areas as it is to make it worse. Now any places people find they keep super hush

I went today and found stuff all. The area directly below the bridge is a disgrace, but the rest of the river is actually ok. Had a chat with a black snake, lizards, turtles, cows and sheep and ate a few blackberries.

I classified in test holes all the way up and back for seven and a half hours. Found one tiny sapphire, a heap of transparent pink, plus green. All about one, to two mm each.

I won't be going back. Nice walk though.

Baz.