Yabbies

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all.

I've been interested in aquaculture and yabbies most of my life. Would like to start a farm one day and concentrate on yabbies. There are a few breeding programs happening. Just want to ask if everyone with a photo of their yabby/marron catch please post some pics with a size reference in the photo and a rough area details so I can map them.
Thanks in advance - Parks

Years ago I worked on a farm in Southern NSW, the owner had a yabby farm set up and used to drop a wheat bale in the water for the little blighters to have a chew on, man those suckers got big quick, the drought soon stitched that up, anyways, I've always found good yabby spots are like good gold spots, kept quiet as to avoid fence jumpers, not sure how your going to go with locations mate but best of luck if you set up a yabby farm, they are ever so tasty. ;)

We had an awesome dam over the road from me a few years ago, but then a market garden moved in next door. The fertilizer washed off from the garden killed all the yabbies.
I know of one other little dam, about the size of a bedroom, that has some rippers too. I think its in danger too due to subdivision :(

Here you go mate:

1450417914_yabs_1.jpg

1450417914_yabs_2.jpg

Location: From a dam on a 80,000 acre property between Cobar and Ivanhoe. ;)

Verdict: Tasted great! :p

Cheers,

Billy.

Cheers Billy, they look awesome! Nice and clean too.

I don't need the exact location. Just a rough area within a state would be fine. I'm just looking for breeding pairs. The CSIRO have been working on it for a while and have breed a super yabby and I was thinking of starting a small scale breeding program myself.

SCROUNGER said:
Billy said:
Here you go mate:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1111/1450417914_yabs_1.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1111/1450417914_yabs_2.jpg

Location: From a dam on a 80,000 acre property between Cobar and Ivanhoe. ;)

Verdict: Tasted great! :p

Cheers,

Billy.
Some good cod bait there as well Billy ;)

Sure is Scrounge, no cod out that way so the little ones went back for the future breeding stock. ;)

Only way to be able to keep enjoying them I reckon.

Cheers,

Billy.

Parks said:
Cheers Billy, they look awesome! Nice and clean too.

I don't need the exact location. Just a rough area within a state would be fine. I'm just looking for breeding pairs. The CSIRO have been working on it for a while and have breed a super yabby and I was thinking of starting a small scale breeding program myself.

No prob Parks.

Best of luck with your program.

Hmmm a super yabby ay? Thats scary and cool at the same time!!! :eek:

Cheers,

Billy.

Yeh, supper yabby, I think the CSIRO are up to what they call a D8. I just think that if we are to become a smart country then we have to produce food that can be exported and at the same time we need to move society inland to the deserts. Which requires a fair bit of work. With a bit of desalinization I believe it's possible. So I think a yabby would be a great starting food.

Hypothetically, you could get a window screen run it around the weed beds in a nearby river. If you got some yabbies and the accidental trout you could relocate into a nearby dam.
Small Yabby and fingerlings cost a fortune. ?

Brumble-Gum said:
Hypothetically, you could get a window screen run it around the weed beds in a nearby river. If you got some yabbies and the accidental trout you could relocate into a nearby dam.
Small Yabby and fingerlings cost a fortune. ?

Yeh I can see what you mean. Like cutting out scones.
I catch my own and you don't need many to breed, but I want to try and breed an export yabby, so looking around for breeds.

There is a yabbie farm near Avoca Vic somewhere. We always said we'd drop in after a weekend away at the races but were always too hungover!

Over here in the South East NSW we have blue Yabbies.
Used to love going out to Kameruka Lake with a bit of string and meat tied to it.
Trick was to get the net behind them. :lol:
In all the creeks all you had to do as flip a rock over and catch them.
Oh so tasty.
Last resort is to use a stocking with meat in it. They get tangled in it and just hall them in.
Got me thinking now I need a feed of them. :eek:
I had a taste of Fresh water Prawns at Oallen with Nae's cooking skills.
Bloody food to die for. :cool:

Found this one on the Mookerawa Creek out of Stuart Town.
It had dug its self into the mud on the wall of the creek, i imagine it was there because the water was low in that part of the creek I also sore some others in larger pools of water as well.
1450477204_image.jpg

Parks , I Also have a desire to start a yabbie farm,Its something that has interested me for many years.
I have a few friends that keep them one has a dam on his property he stocked , the other breeds and shows Koi fish and keeps a few yabbies as well.

I use to go out to wandin east. Victoria
Had several dams that I could fish out. As the farmer wanted them out. Because they use to dig into the dam wall causing it to leak.
Then would have to drain it and repair the wall.
I use to pull out over a 1000 a day and take them out the back to the river and let them all go.
Use to keep a few of the bigger ones for the dinner table.

nucopia said:
Found this one on the Mookerawa Creek out of Stuart Town.
It had dug its self into the mud on the wall of the creek, i imagine it was there because the water was low in that part of the creek I also sore some others in larger pools of water as well.https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5588/1450477204_image.jpg
Parks , I Also have a desire to start a yabbie farm,Its something that has interested me for many years.
I have a few friends that keep them one has a dam on his property he stocked , the other breeds and shows Koi fish and keeps a few yabbies as well.

That's about the size I get when prospecting. And, a dark colour like yours. I think they change colour in creeks to camo so predators cant see them.

XIV said:
I use to go out to wandin east. Victoria
Had several dams that I could fish out. As the farmer wanted them out. Because they use to dig into the dam wall causing it to leak.
Then would have to drain it and repair the wall.
I use to pull out over a 1000 a day and take them out the back to the river and let them all go.
Use to keep a few of the bigger ones for the dinner table.

Do you know the breed of yabby that you were catching?

Latest posts