Oberon Sapphires and Zircons

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFossickingKid

Angus Madden
Reaction score
Will be going up to Oberon soon and will probably try out Porters Retreat. Can someone tell me where where I can go so I don't go onto private property. Has anyone had any experience at this place lately. Thanks

1449910980_image.jpeg

Hey bud, the dirt track to the left heading up the hill is to the fossiking area, as long as you don't cross any fences you should be fine. There are signs stating private property on the boundary a little further down stream.
Heaps of diggings all over the hill, very hard digging like concrete and seen a lot of attention, on the Vulcan Forrest maps there is a mine marked upstream R/h side of pic but I'm pretty sure it's all private land that side.
Hope this helps

I was there a month or so ago & there is a fallen tree on the track to the left,take the track to the right and chuck a left at that 1st tree.I didn't dig,just had a look around as it was late in the day and I was a bit buggered after Sapphire Bend.Watch out Joe Blake lives there too.

No snakes spotted but the flies are getting bad.
Good news is that most of the blackberries have been sprayed and have died.
Was there beginning of the week.

Checked (just looked in) on Porters Retreat this afternoon after digging at sapphire bend. Plenty of clean, clear fresh water in creek and easy to hop around from bank to bank as the water is low and slow.

Hi Fossicking kid. :)

Ended up with a forced restful day at Porters after a few digging in Lowes SF.

Had my gumboots so went OK at shallow digging but found I had packed the wrong bag for deeper work. :8
Waders bag turned out to be a bag containing a double airbed.
Could not figure out how to wear them as waders so did some scratching elsewhere. ;)

Glad you had a good day and caught some stones :)

Hey! I was down at sapphire bend Monday saw a few people there who were all very nice and helpful, also met a local who's lived in black springs for over 20 years that showed me some of his finds, was such a good experience found quite a few sapphires and a clear green stone too not sure what it is though!

Would have been Tex - I was out at Sapphire Bend today and he dropped by for a chat and to give some handy pointers. Really nice guy.

Latest posts