Corona Amethyst Field

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day

I'm going to spend a day checking this out in a few weeks. Anybody been?

1371012220_image.jpg

1371012261_image.jpg

Good article here

http://brokenhillmineralclub.wikispaces.com/file/view/news+v13n1.pdf

Cheers

Chimpy

Suggest you contact the Broken Hill Mineral Club first to see if it is still open. Most fossicking sites out there are on a pastoral lease (some under mining leases) and many station owners will let clubs onto their properties but will not allow individuals. The reason for this is insurance. However, if you are a member of a mineral / lapidary club and have approval from them to check out areas on behalf of your field officer then your club insurance also covers you. :)

G'day

Already checked it out before I posted. The Broken Hill Mineral Club said the owners have no problem with visitors as long as you contact them first. I couldn't get onto them today but will post details when I do

Cheers

Chimpy

G'day Chimpy,

Been out there a few times and It's a great experience. Corona Station is just off the main road and you have to pretty well go strait past it to access the field. They were real helpful last time we went but it was a few years back. Their main concern was you close the gates, especially the old rickety wooden gate half away in.

We found Amethyst Hill was flogged to death and not worth persevering with, but Long Valley produced heaps of "Loose" crystals for us. The western side where they mark "Smokeys" has more amethyst than you may think. Plates are not easy to find as you need at least a few days to open a reasonable size hole to expose them. Greens are scarcer than hens teeth.

Best way to find pockets of "Loose" crystals is to check out the sides of the many small trenches along the side of the hills. You will find certain sections have small crystals scattered in the overburden. When you find these sections just re-open the trench and you should be able to follow the run.

If you've only got a day don't bother trying to start a new trench, They're very hit and miss. I'd take a decent pick as well as a good shovel and a 1/4" sieve, as they certainly don't jump out of the trenches by themselves. If you hit a pocket you can fill a litre bottle quite quick and they tumble up to make some handsome gems. Best of luck and I"m sure you will enjoy the digging and the spectacular scenery.

Cheers Wal

G'day

Thanks for the tips Wal ;) top job. I've got twenty days in the region so another day or so might be on the cards if it looks any good as this will be the first stop on the way to Tibooburra. We're planning on giving one of the salt lakes a swing on the way back. Thanks again

Cheers

Chimpy

Latest posts