Dry Sucker !

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks loke the nozzles need a mesh or classifier so the pipe doesnt get clogged by them flat rocks, but still looks like another device to have a go at and would work great crevacing. Probably just basic one-way valve flap systems again and can prob make your own from pvc and an old foot pump

AtomRat said:
Looks loke the nozzles need a mesh or classifier so the pipe doesnt get clogged by them flat rocks, but still looks like another device to have a go at and would work great crevacing. Probably just basic one-way valve flap systems again and can prob make your own from pvc and an old foot pump

Hi Art , being that there is no piston is the trick to make them work dry with a pulse action , I notice that they sell just the bellow section for DIY makes .
Here is the link :)

http://www.goldsucker.com/FATTail.html

Well. I like it, and I just ordered one. I'll see what it will be worth in the field. Looks like they will ease restrictions soon. Time to get ready to go back to the fields. :)

Opalian said:
Well. I like it, and I just ordered one. I'll see what it will be worth in the field. Looks like they will ease restrictions soon. Time to get ready to go back to the fields. :)

Just noticed your post , let us know how it works for you .

Cheers
jack

I found you can make quite a good hand powered vacuum from two of those cheap kmart bellow foot pumps ;) if any one is interested I can post the details.

Ned said:
Ok Goldfreak - Post some details - Always wanting to know how things work and ingenius ways of fabricating.

thanks, Ned
I pulled it apart so don't have a photo but it's very easy to build. Here is a mud map of what I made. Hope you can follow it. The following are some critical extra details to make it work properly. Please take time to read it. The two wheel were little castor wheels. The hinge was a door hinge and the frame made out of pine. I tried a few things and found to achieve a really good suction either put a stronger spring inside the bellows or double the spring up. So they are twice as hard to compress by your bare hands. What this does is cteate a much stronger suction. Put the two blow hoses into the suction ports and then plumb them together with a t piece. Make the hoses as short as possible before going into a small collection bucket through a tank out let Valve. All material apart from extra springs were from the big green hardware place. Don't use over 20mm size hose or fittings. It's important the bellows can't spring straight up and have some suction resistance to maintain a constant vacuum. This is done by not having too larger hoses. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
1601272157_screenshot_20200928_151055.jpg
to operate just gentle pull handle back and forward while suckling out cracks with nossle in other hand. Hope that made sense. I am not always the best at explaining things.

Ned said:
Thankyou very much Goldfreak.

I really appreciate you getting back so quickly.

I love mechanical devices and DIY projects such as this.

regards, Ned
No worries. I have invented a few gold getting devices, to be honest most have been crap. But some like this one worked after adjusting a few things. Good luck.

Should also mention the bellows are installed upside down and sat on a triangle frame with three small legs. This makes a stable tripod on un even ground and gives some space for the hoses to come out of the bellows and up to the catch container. Also the little caster wheels should always maintain some pressure on the bellows even when depressed all the way. This stops them popping out of the frame.

If you have started to make this and for anyone else going to I shouldn't have said 20mm. My hoses must have been about 13mm because I remember I used some of the garden hose in the build. It's not for moving large volumes but sure gets good suction and is continuous.

Dry Sucker ay.

Does anyone here know if The Krevice King makes a dry sucker?

But it's still a 'mechanical means'. It'd probably be easier to cop the fine and then argue that using a shovel is also a mechanical means (i.e. a lever is the most simple machine, too, so it's not just mechanical force but mechanical force exerted through a machine) than it would be to pain yourself trying to get around the wording of a poorly written law. I deal with laws for a living and even I can't make heads nor tails of the Act nor see any sense nor reason in it. I don't break the law, mostly because I'm out to potter about not make money from it, but I secretly am waiting for my first fine for moving more than 1 m3 of material in a two day period just to be able to try my luck in court.

Latest posts