"X" marks the spot

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moneybox

Philip & Sandra Box
Reaction score
We left Wedderburn this morning and shot back into Bendigo for our new tyre. I was not happy with the Tyreplus guy for not wanting to fit it so I changed it on the footpath outside his front window. Then I had the problem of a big tyre that I couldn't carry so I took it back into the store and asked him to put a warranty claim in for me. It has a huge blister on one side and still about 3/4 tread but I don't expect to get warranty. I just wanted to get rid of the old tyre. Half an hour later we were heading for the VIC/SA border. Mrs M wanted to make it to Bordertown today.

A few miles down the road and she spotted a sign....

1449056849_x.jpg

"Look, somebody has marked their spot. Do you think we can find it?"
I took a swing left and followed in the general direction until we came across this stone and iron structure right under the "X".

1449057084_welcome_stranger.jpg

We couldn't believe our luck. This was to spot where the biggest nugget in the world came from. I was out there in a flash. You might be able to see me in the background of the photo holding up the first find. I got one more before Mrs M reclaimed her detector and pinged one of he own.

1449057428_sandras_stranger_nugget.jpg

We pulled out three all within a few metres of each other.

1449057500_pc020061.jpg

Before long we hit the road again. We never quite made the border but stopped at the old airforce base in Nhill.

/

Awesome work MR & Mrs M. You would think that would have to be one of the most heavily detected areas around and you find three nuggs right next to it. The big one looks like a nice chunk :) Well done
Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Take the wheels off and stay for a while(that was a really big sign you got) till you get what the sign says,....I recon),... obviously an old spot meant just for you'se at this stage. :eek: ;) :D

As i said in your other post, Mrs m is your lucky charm mate, you need to hang onto her :lol: :lol: :lol:

NeoGeo said:
Awesome work MR & Mrs M. You would think that would have to be one of the most heavily detected areas around and you find three nuggs right next to it. The big one looks like a nice chunk :) Well done
Enjoy the rest of your trip.
NeoGeo, that was the bit that was hard to believe. This spot hasn't been done over. We (I) dug deep into hard rocky soil for many old .22 shells. We got lots of shot gun and .22 lead and very short .22 shells (about 5mm long) from just under the surface.

To me most of these targets sounded like gold. Well really those few bits of gold really sounded like just another bullet :)
Mrs M told me that every tom--dick & Harry would have been here and I was wasting my time.....That was until I got the first two and then she took my detector :D

It's a great practise spot for anybody wanting to try out their skills or a new detector. There are lots of nice subtle signals that get stronger as you dig. Gets the adrenalin going just before the big letdown...

Latest posts