Fly fishing ... c1900

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teemore

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Sorting some stuff the other day and came across some flyfishing bits from the turn of the century. old flies, some tied by Hardys in England, old fly boxes, and heaps of old flies, some are still current patterns used today.
One interesting one was labelled "Wendoree Gnat" not sure if there's a Wendoree in the UK or whether it's a local Ballarat insect??
Cheers Tom

1448769174_image.jpg

1448769205_image.jpg
1448769227_image.jpg
1448769247_image.jpg
1448769273_image.jpg
1448769300_image.jpg
1448769339_image.jpg
1448769425_image.jpg
1448769451_image.jpg

Some great old stuff you have there Teemore. In the shot with the Wendoure flies there is a sort of double thoraxed nymph that looks like the nymphs that appeared in some old Australian magazines. Don't throw any of that stuff out mate and if you're keen to sell some of it i'd be happy to talk further. :)

Hi Scrounger, that's one of my problems .... nothing gets thrown out.
That's just a small cross section of what's there, old boxes (incl Wheatley) with interesting dividers, some home made, not sure about the pouch, it either belonged to someone with the initials A G M or more likely may have been a presentation item at some clubs A G M
There are about 15 - 20 packets ex Hardys with varying quantities of flies, apart from those in boxes/cigarette tins there are also about 100+ loose ones (can't remember what they were originally in).

Thought they may have been interesting fodder for an article but never got enthused enough.

In the middle of funeral arrangements for Maureen's aunt at the moment (died Friday aged 92.5), funeral Thursday if they can open up her parents grave.

If you shout me a coffee I can bring the whole lot up for you to have a closer look at in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers Tom

Teemore said:
Hi Scrounger, that's one of my problems .... nothing gets thrown out.
That's just a small cross section of what's there, old boxes (incl Wheatley) with interesting dividers, some home made, not sure about the pouch, it either belonged to someone with the initials A G M or more likely may have been a presentation item at some clubs A G M
There are about 15 - 20 packets ex Hardys with varying quantities of flies, apart from those in boxes/cigarette tins there are also about 100+ loose ones (can't remember what they were originally in).

Thought they may have been interesting fodder for an article but never got enthused enough.

In the middle of funeral arrangements for Maureen's aunt at the moment (died Friday aged 92.5), funeral Thursday if they can open up her parents grave.

If you shout me a coffee I can bring the whole lot up for you to have a closer look at in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers Tom
You're on mate. You let me know what date suits you (better through the week for me) and i'm in. :lol:

Latest posts