How long would you survive

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KarlS said:
There is a very good tread about global warming wit excellent input from two geologists and other members. Rather then hijacking the topic I will start new one.
Let's say that extremely powerful solar flare hit the Earth or nuclear war broke out. The powefull EMI (electromagnetic pulse) wipe out all semiconductor based electronics devices. Power distribution networks are down. Fly by wire jets fall down from the sky. Computers and the networks are down, satellites as well. GPS is down as well. Global transport grinds to halt. Most of hospitals diagnostic equipment is not working. Emergency services and police are without the communication and the transport. There is no water, electrocity, Gass or sewerage services. All food supplies in the shops will run out within a day or two. Your you beaut shiny car will not start. You won't be able to withdraw any money from the bank and nobody will accept your credit card. Even those of you with solar panels on the roof will not be any better off, solar panels will probably survive but invertor and charger electronics won't.
How long you recon you will survive and what strategy you will adopt
I dont think that average person will last in this scenario more then four weeks. This mostly apply for the people from the cities, I belive that country folk will survive just fine. With some of adjusting to the new reality.
Karl

I don't see a problem there Karl, it will remind me of the 70's, before all this digital clutter ruined our lives. :D Would miss the forum though......

In actual fact the powers that be would more than likely hold the whole thing together here in Australia with better than ever organizational skills,... forced labor for food to ensure that everybody gets to eat and that our borders remain very very protected,... sink em all before they get here type philosophy.
We in fact would be one of the very few places on the planet that could succesfuly save our entire population without any domestic conflicts at all.
Mind you,.. we would all have to weild pick and shovel in order to overcome adversity,... those that could but wouldn't will find themselves very very hungry individuals with no recourse to singular success. ;) :) :D

Good comment Silver, my old Gran used to say we lived in an ark, here in Australia, some truth to that I suppose?

In this situation I would not be heading too far inland, as long as you can get a good water source...the coast will be a great food basket with all the commercial fishers out of action.

Also....I would not blow the dams on the inland folks...I would shut of the water to the river below so they meet my demands.
He who controls the water is king mwuhahaha. :p

Rabbits are not much use as a food source because they don't have any fat on them and your body would consume your own fat so you can only eat them for a limited amount of time.

Ridge Runner said:
Rabbits are not much use as a food source because they don't have any fat on then and your body would consume your own fat so you can only eat them for a limited amount of time.

My mum hates rabbit because they ate tons of it in hard times. There were so many rabbits that they herded them like sheep. Also seen pictures of trees full of rabbits trying to get a feed.
I love em.

Rabbit stew, yum. I used to live on it (and beer) when i was pro shooting and trapping rabbits up around Eldorado in my early twenties.

SCROUNGER said:
Rabbit stew, yum. I used to live on it (and beer) when i was pro shooting and trapping rabbits up around Eldorado in my early twenties.

Yeah, nothing wrong with a good Rabbit Stew, Mum use to make those sort of things for us as a cheap hearty meal, nower days they pack the kids off to McDonalds or feed em frozen burgers, I have started making those sort of meals again and I feel better for it,

john

From memory i used to get 20 cents for a small pair (under 4 pounders) of rabbits at the mobile freezer and 40 cents for a pair of bigger rabbits (heavier than 4 pounders). Try and buy even a small single rabbit today and it's almost unaffordable. 8.(

SCROUNGER said:

When we went night hunting the first thing I'd do is light a fire, plug a couple of bunnies and throw them in the coals. Yummo

It was always seen as a poor mans meat in the depression years apparently, but i reckon its got a lovely sweet and non fatty taste, especially when done in a stew of onions, carrots etc. I used to prefer it over mutton. Funny, my wife won't even taste it because she hates the thought of eating those cuddly little creatures :lol:

Ramjet said:
When we went night hunting the first thing I'd do is light a fire, plug a couple of bunnies and throw them in the coals. Yummo

I'm pretty sure my missus would have reservations being in your company :lol:
Jon

My Mum used to make a Rabbit stew with capsicum, carrots, bacon and a creamy sauce. :D
A version of chook fricassee.
I tried a few times but got no where near it. :(
Mum has forgotten the recipe. :( :( :(

SCROUNGER said:
From memory i used to get 20 cents for a small pair (under 4 pounders) of rabbits at the mobile freezer and 40 cents for a pair of bigger rabbits (heavier than 4 pounders). Try and buy even a small single rabbit today and it's almost unaffordable. 8.(

In country Butchers over here they use to hang Rabbits and Pheasant's in the shop window for sale, still with the Fur and feathers on them, but that might of changed now since they keep changing hygiene laws,

Ahhhhh!, the end of the world topic, slightly disappointed that 'zombies' have only received one reference, anyways, I think most of you guys are on the right track with your food sourcing, shelter, for me it would be underground, the worlds gone crazy enough, imagine it if this did happen,
dwt's recommended 'must haves for the inevitable apocalypse'
two packs of Radaway, Stimpak, Psyco, and Jet,
As much diesel for your genset as possible (gotta have power for the PlayStation AND in case you meet a hot wandering chick and you want to take her out on a date to your local Rat on a Stick mobile cafeteria, your gunna need a shower)
Weapons, weapons weapons, think big people, the bigger the better, you need to scare people off from your cleared out old 1800 mine shaft, most of you mightn't be able to hit a bull in the ass at 5' with a howitzer, but I'm guessing the sound of that phuker going off is going to keep any would be thieves or raiders clear on away from your new pad.
And to wrap things so I'm not ranting on for four hours (and getting slightly excited)........
BASEBALL BATS for smashing in ZOMBIE HEADS!!! Aluminium ones are great for skull crushing longevity, BUT, the sound of clocking zombie skulls with a chunk of alloy may have a sweet ring to it, but it's gunna attract more unwanted walking dead than you might of planned for, wooden ones give a much better low sounding thud, but the life span will just not match up,
Stay safe my fellow waste landers, the end is nigh....... 8.(

Latest posts