How long would you survive

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarlS

Karl
Reaction score
There is a very good tread about global warming wit excellent input from two geologists and other members. Rather then hijacking the topic I will start new one.
Let's say that extremely powerful solar flare hit the Earth or nuclear war broke out. The powefull EMI (electromagnetic pulse) wipe out all semiconductor based electronics devices. Power distribution networks are down. Fly by wire jets fall down from the sky. Computers and the networks are down, satellites as well. GPS is down as well. Global transport grinds to halt. Most of hospitals diagnostic equipment is not working. Emergency services and police are without the communication and the transport. There is no water, electrocity, Gass or sewerage services. All food supplies in the shops will run out within a day or two. Your you beaut shiny car will not start. You won't be able to withdraw any money from the bank and nobody will accept your credit card. Even those of you with solar panels on the roof will not be any better off, solar panels will probably survive but invertor and charger electronics won't.
How long you recon you will survive and what strategy you will adopt
I dont think that average person will last in this scenario more then four weeks. This mostly apply for the people from the cities, I belive that country folk will survive just fine. With some of adjusting to the new reality.
Karl

Until the city people hit the countryside,... hungry and not givin a rats @r$e about who owns what,... won't matter what color you are,... they'll end up reconing country folk tast just fine.
The weak will be the first to succumb to the elements,.... those with the best weapons will be in charge(if they can get hold of a raw food source that is sustainable to feed enough people to be their followers).
The best possies will be fought over constantly,... and anyone who can't find a sustainable spot to live will be itinerant rovers who either band together short term till their lot gets better,... or fight and kill each other over the littlest scraps.
Not a good prognosis for the ill prepared at all. :eek:

DrDuck said:
It has happened, but before modern electronics were invented:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859

Yes I'm aware of that event. It raises question about whole climate change debate. If the climate change is real, it will be gradual change giving the humanity time to adjust. The solar flare scenario is more catastrophic and just as possible as global warming. But no one plans for such a posibility.
Karl

I'll be right, family has firearms, good places to hunt & out of the way places to stay with running water & plenty of wood for warmth when needed, & if anyone tries to cause us problems then the fertilizer will come in handy for growing food.

ozziii said:
I'll be right, family has firearms, good places to hunt & out of the way places to stay with running water & plenty of wood for warmth when needed, & if anyone tries to cause us problems then the fertilizer will come in handy for growing food.

I use to do a lot of shooting when I was back home, I even got a few Medals for it too,

Handy Dandy lever action. 22 (winchester) and .223 Howa for those bigger game but not too big that it scares the farmers 2 miles away, as long as i can find a remote water source i should be okay
1448716762_my_first_two_rifles.jpg

nicko61 said:
Handy Dandy lever action. 22 (winchester) and .223 Howa for those bigger game but not too big that it scares the farmers 2 miles away, as long as i can find a remote water source i should be okayhttps://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5587/1448716762_my_first_two_rifles.jpg

Not a bad round the 223, I use to shoot 7.62/308 but I also had a 3006 and 223 and a 270 as well as 22, I have got a couple of silencers here somewhere, and Kestrel and all my spotting scopes and Binos have Mildot Reticles in them.

john

We use a Ruger MKII .223, Howa 30-06 & Ruger MKII .300 Win Mag, the 223 is just used for small feral stuff, the 30 cals for deer, Fellow, Red & Sambar. Got a .22 winchester magnum lever action & a db shotty as well so ducks can be got too. I could survive on venison quite easily, love that stuff, but where my parents live there's the deer plus rabbits, & although we don't hunt roo's, if the world went haywire then they would be on the menu as well.
Might need to get the old man to start stock piling ammo & reloading gear just incase. I'm actually a member of a few prepper groups on facebook already, some good info there sometimes.

Yeah I knew of a few hot spots for Deer, Good eating, I don't think I see the point in going bigger than the Win mag, I have some good Apps for shooting, I don't like big cannons like the 338 etc because after that they start to effect you aim because the recoil starts to get a bit OTT, 3006 is more of a firm Push and does what ever the 7.62 does only it does it about 150 yards further out and there ain't much that won't go down with on of them, .270 will do the same sort of damage as a 3006 and is flatter shooting than a 3006, But the .270s bullet weights are what bothers me I would prefer some thing up around 165gr but the average is between 130-150gr.

Ive been playing fallout 4 to prepare myself for this kind of scenario...should it happen real time i should be ok with my tikka .308. Also have an interest in traps and read quite a few books on them so wherever i did decide to bunker down it would be well booby trapped, my biggest problem would be remembering where i hid them all :|

1448744382_2015-11-29_08.00.06.jpg

more to long term survival than firearms.
Solar flares.....if you are really worried about these things, then you can make a simple Faraday cage to store electronic devices so they don't get fried. Chuck your play station or what ever into an old steel garbage bin, that'll do.
Bigger items are a bit harder, maybe buy an 80,s model diesal hilux or an old series 3 landrover, both will be able to run after an EM attack, you can still crank start the landy.
What about food and stuff, buy some bulk rice, get an old engel car fridge, solar panel and deep cycle battery. Sore all this stuff like DOOMSDAYERS in the US.
I have a cyclone kit, that after 15 years has grown into a semi preppers kit, lol! I also have a .308 , 500 rounds and 12G coach gun with some shells....(shotty shells are cheap, but not as cheap as a .22)
All in all, I think the biggest problems will be unprepared people in any catastrophic event. Those of that are semi prepared are gonna be targets, cause they will want what we have. maybe prepare to move quickly, but I think that could be a trap in its self.

Co-incidence, Dr Karl on TV now , talking about this very subject!

Ridge Runner said:
Yeah I knew of a few hot spots for Deer, Good eating, I don't think I see the point in going bigger than the Win mag, I have some good Apps for shooting, I don't like big cannons like the 338 etc because after that they start to effect you aim because the recoil starts to get a bit OTT, 3006 is more of a firm Push and does what ever the 7.62 does only it does it about 150 yards further out and there ain't much that won't go down with on of them, .270 will do the same sort of damage as a 3006 and is flatter shooting than a 3006, But the .270s bullet weights are what bothers me I would prefer some thing up around 165gr but the average is between 130-150gr.

Just keep in mind that you will eventually run out of ammo. The brass can be reloaded but you are going to run out of smokeless gun powder, primers and bullets. Lead cast bullets don't work well in modern high velocity guns. There are older center fire rifles that can use lead projectiles and black gun powder. Not many people own 32 /30 or 40/70 or similar rifles that can be used with smokeless or black powder. Even less people got black power muzzleloading guns.
How many know how to make saltpeter (potassium nitrate), essential part of black power?
Keep in mind that Google, your answer to everything will not work. How many still keep library of books to learn from.
Karl

Just so long as you can make fire (without matches) and know how to catch fish or game without the need for guns then you'd be alright so long as you kept away from humans looking to rob you of food etc and do you harm. A couple of good knives and a decent axe would be my essentials, but i can think of a few other key implements i wouldn't mind stowing in a backpack if it all turned to shite.
The bigger question might be would you want to survive with probably all your family and friends gone and the world going crazy?

Latest posts