Sulphide experiment for jethro

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday jethro,

Since your not keen on giving it a go I thought I do it for you and see what happens in the results and share it here too.

Keeping details to an absolute minimum, do NOT attempt this at home if you dont know what youre doing, without correct chemical safety gear or ventilation using a fume hood / outdoors.

Please do not troll with safety comments.

Unfortunately, this will just be a test by eye and result as I can't find my scales anywhere to tell differences before and after reactions.

So, I've ground some ore from a mine, high in sulfide content. It was already party crushed and i couldnt find a large but as well to do the test on. Mabey later if requested. You can see the two grades I have; fine dust and 5mm sized lets say.

The first test is seeing the reaction of just H202 ( Hydrogen Peroxide, no, not hair bleach ). The finer dust is bubbling away while the large particles have a slow bubble rate for now.

Ill leave these until I feel the reaction is complete, which should be a rather dark brown goo ( could take 2 weeks ). I've only added a small amount for now just in case the reaction was unexpected, but will add more to it as it evaporates to keep the reaction going.

After this will be a thorough clean with water and then HCl treatment and reaction test.

1448327723_14483276471400.jpg

1448327759_14483276592521.jpg

1448327803_14483276693272.jpg

1448327830_14483276766613.jpg

1448330366_14483303211380.jpg

Thanks AR, this is fascinating :cool:

Rather than bombard you with questions about rocks and types of material, is there a site or book that explains these things?

Bazz

Not really mate. This is just my own experiement as a test from a few years of reading and chemical use for the sake of helping those like jethro. I don't even know how the result will turn out so I'd really not want to encourage anyone with this :) cost of hydrogen peroxide could end it anyway.

I can suggest learning basic science and chemistry ( learn the safety and mishaps before even touching a book on chemicals ) but that's about as far as ill go sorry mate. I started low n slow being very careful.

There would be some books on ore processing and its not something you could jump straight into. Main 'danger' just as it is for now is hydrogen being released, if you know what hydrogen it or does....already from step 1, I hope the dangers are clear on not attempting. Don't take this in a negative attitude either. Its what I have to say :)

PM me if you want.

Thanks AR, I am only interested from the sidelines.

Jeezz I'm struggling finding the stuff blind freddy could find so adding microscopic gold particles to my bucket list just ain't happening.

However, I will watch with intense interest.

Thanks again

Bazz

Oh sorry, I'm not working on gold, mostly decomposition of sulfides from the ore to a solution. Some gold should show up when I'm done though as it is in there but as for the refining I won't be posting that. I won't be using aqua regia but may test something similar later on.

If there is micro gold in the sulfides, it will then be in a chemical solution for refining or even possibly lost but if its there..it should be visible and mabey micro in the sol. Just having a mess about really and sharing :)

OK, It's officially rocket science to this little black duck, where there are no rockets and/or gold, so I'm better to watch QUIETLY and like others, who make believe they know whats going on

Bazz

Sick.. i like youre style rocket man..youre always into something cool .
Forgive my lack of chemistry but If the sulphide has micro gold in it will the gold dissolve into the solution? I thought only aqua regia dissolved it? Or will it remain in sediment for further refinement. Cheers mate. . Very interesting

Yep, the gold won't dissolve :) but there may be a chance some gold salts get lost..not completely sure with the sulfides. I may be able to dissolve the gold in an alternative aqua regia and test it for gold.

Cheers for the comment :D

Hi AR can you tell me what the major type of sulphide in the pulp was?

Are you able to do the chemical equation for the oxidation of your sulphide with hydrogen peroxide?

Hey Bazz
A couple of good books to start with are. "Introducing Victorian Geology'' by geological society of australia.

''Rocks and Minerals'' by Chris Pellant

"Minerals of Victoria," (includes map ) by KS Weston DEPt minerals & energy.

"The Metallurgy of Gold" by M Eissler. this book is very old, not sure if its still in print.

A good website for minerals ID is webmineral.com

Arsenopyrite.

Without having my scales, no, but I'm looking. I did save half of this rock in case I came across a problem and had backup for second attempt so ill just see what happens first and if it works out then ill work on the numbers.

This wouldnt be arsenopyrite but just normal pyrite or FeS2 being oxodised by the peroxide and turned into rust and sulfuric acid. The reaction actually creates more h202 as it attacks the pyrite making hydrogen sulfides.

2 FeS2 + 15 H2O2 -> Fe2(SO4)3 + H2SO4 + 14H2O

For arsenpyrite instead of FeS on the left side, it would be FeAsS and to the right similar but arsenic as a by product in small amounts to balance it out ( with weights, atomic ).

Not knowing exactly in the rock will play with the expected outcome, like unknown Mangnesium Dioxide creating the Chlorine in the equation etc..

What I can tell about dissolving the gold in some of samples is that you can encounter all types of troubles.
I refined some gold,which still had some stone throught the batch,all went well,filtered well to crystal clear solution.then when boiling down to kill the nitric acid,a lot muddy stuff appeared,which I would say, it is iron,then in the next section of the process all this brown flock is mixed with the gold,but I am getting on top of it slowly,the gold sinks to the bottom,so I will have it cleaned for melting tomorrow,but it just goes to show how these problems can come up.

Regards Frank

AtomRat said:
Arsenopyrite.

Without having my scales, no, but I'm looking. I did save half of this rock in case I came across a problem and had backup for second attempt so ill just see what happens first and if it works out then ill work on the numbers.

This wouldnt be arsenopyrite but just normal pyrite or FeS2 being oxodised by the peroxide and turned into rust and sulfuric acid. The reaction actually creates more h202 as it attacks the pyrite making hydrogen sulfides.

2 FeS2 + 15 H2O2 -> Fe2(SO4)3 + H2SO4 + 14H2O

For arsenpyrite instead of FeS on the left side, it would be FeAsS and to the right similar but arsenic as a by product in small amounts to balance it out ( with weights, atomic ).

Not knowing exactly in the rock will play with the expected outcome, like unknown Mangnesium Dioxide creating the Chlorine in the equation etc..

G,day atom. question without notice, Where does the chlorine you mentioned come from ? I ask this because if you have chlorine free in your solution you stand a good chance of converting any gold in the ore to soluble gold chloride.

I will have a read of the old metallurgy book agian tonight & transcribe the more basic of the chlorination processes.

Latest posts