The humble "Cherry tree" and Gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
was out on the weekend walking some gold fields nearby and showing a mate MJB around and thought i would take a few photos of examples of these trees sitting on bedrock, notice the trees around are all dead closest to the cherry.

the first picture is up on a ridge 40 meters above creek level where cracks in the bedrock run parallel and old timers dug these cracks out and cradled the gold.
The second image we could see these cherry trees down the gully from some 100 meters above poking just above the scrub on an upper bench, from following these down and into the ridge we came across a nice old adit with some good material where they had tunneled into the metamorphosed ancient river rock bellow basalt. This was a new one for me and ive spent weeks out here, usually this area is covered in a long wavy grass and ive not seen the extent of what was mined here.

1449442894_20151205_195722.jpg

1449442895_20151206_085034.jpg

1449443573_20151206_085738.jpg

1449443573_20151206_085742.jpg

1449443573_20151206_085752.jpg

1449443573_20151206_085915.jpg

They are some big boulders mate..look for the biggest untouched on n clean underneath it..even if you have to drag it out :lol:
There still seems to be a direcction of travel for the trees in your new photos.

That last photo looks very familiar to me but i dont think you go where i do. Mabey ive seen a photo of the same tunnel before

problem is the big boulders are basalt they tunneled into them and picked away i didn;t ave my phone when i went in that part but needless to say the basalt floor is that great silt from ash. maybe well dig straight down mate :) never know.

The last photo mate theres probably 7 along a 3 km ridge line that i know of all very similar so wouldn't not be surprised if you'd seen one like this at all. THe probelem with the material is its all metamorphosed from the basalt so its basically solid rock and wpould need to be crushed to yield any dcenet gold i think. myabe on the cards ;0

I was told about the cheery trees when I took the course they offer with a detector purchase at coiltek in Maryborough over 15 years ago
Everytime I see one I give it the twice over and have never found a single piece.
Now I have found my share of nugs in the GT so its not technique. Makes for an interesting talking piece though. Maybe too many people know about the cherry tree info and they have all been de nuggeted.
They are in the right areas though as are Iron Bark trees. To me Iron Bark trees mean gold country. I don't know the latin name and even if there is different types. They are my indicator that Im in the right general area to have a look see.
This has found me more nugs than the cherry.
Good info though. Any news is good news I reckon when your talking gold areas. Cheers for the read. :)
GT

spot on mate, ironbark is a hardy shallow rooter as well and i agree 100% no guarantees in gold there just a good perspective into the ground where it might settle. glad you liked the read and thanks for jumping in.

Haha sorry golddigga.. mutant beavers would help get through that morphed rock was all i was sayin..:p
Ill certainly be looking at the trees around my area to see which ones are the odd ones out and if they could possibly resemble anything. I get odd patches of tea tree in the bush with no undergrowth at all which are interesting. Usually pans n bottles about too

Gold prolongs lifespan in plants and animals which explains the youthful cherry patch. Myth draws from truth hence the initial wives tale of symbioticity between cherry/gold is most likely true.

Ancients had more knowledge than we do today, perhaps seeded purposely as a basic gps methode or most likely a pattern of nature we havnt grasped.

They could germinate on all trees of the correct species, but only survive on the right ones that harbour the conditions to life that suit them. ;)

Absolutley LOVED reading all about the Cherry Tree, Brilliant work! I really learned alot and was of interest to me. Well Done. I look forward to reading more of your works

Chewy said:
Dunno that they are toxic. It says in the link aborigines used to eat the cherries. :)

You eat the red "cherry" part, but not the green seed pod that is attached to it. They are a novel thing to try, there is no way you would ever find enough of them to be satisfied.

Latest posts