Does CLR work?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay

Reaction score
I have some crystals/gems that need cleaning, does a soaking in CLR work?

I'm not sure what it does to crystals and gems but I know from experience that it pretty well destroys copper coins.

If no one here can provide a definite yes or no answer, I'd suggest doing some spot testing or trying it out on a less valuable piece. If you decide to do either I'd be interested in the results.

Not sure about crystals but CLR is great for lime scale and mould removal in the bathroom :D

It can be very nasty on the lungs however so take the necessary precautions.

Depending on the cleaning needed I'd say simple warm, soapy water and a brush or cloth would do fine.

Cheers,
Shauno.

Never tried CLR on crystals, but oxalic acid is works very well. Most hardware stores have it. Even though it's a mild acid, use rubber gloves & not inside ;)

no harsh chemicals if you intend keeping them

gentle soap and water and a scrub.

most crystals "feel better in the hand" after being placed in salt water solution outside in the sun for a day or two , or left out under a full moon

exception being rose quartz and a few others which lose their colour if put in salt water

If people buy crystals after they have been cut / polished / mounted etc , they often want to pick them up and feel them in their hand before buying

harsh chemicals might take away the warm feeling or vibrancy that many crystals possess naturally

Thanks for your advice. I'll give them all a go, starting with the brush and soapy water...I'll be sure to let you know how things go!

R_G_Bargy is on the mark with his recommendation of oxalic acid for cleaning your crystals & gems but if you are using it from the hardware store remember to use it diluted and please wear glasses.

I have dug up heaps of oxalis (known as sour sobs here in SA or sour grass in Vic) put them in a bucket of water it forms a weak oxalic acid. left it for a week with my rocks and then washed off with soap and water has been very effective for removing ferrous & other stains.

Give it a go & see if it works for you.