Rock n Opal

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice pic would love to find some stones like that. its on my list to find some pieces out west. the list keeps getting longer every week I need to retire now to get to them all.

1373679739_opal__.jpg

What would you guys do with this one??

Leave it as a nice specimen ND! Lovely bit of crystal in there.

Too small to really cut and set in jewelry. Worth much more as a nice specimen like that.
Kindest regards,
Shauno.

Is it a Yowah nut? I'd get it in the hands of an experienced cutter and let them appraise it.

Lingus77 said:
Is it a Yowah nut? I'd get it in the hands of an experienced cutter and let them appraise it.

Hi Lingus77,

Most definitely is a Yowah Nut. Going by the look of the crystal nodule in the centre it would only be in the single carat range, maybe less when cut and shaped depending on how much was broken off during the splitting of the top. Once you open the crystal up and remove the surrounding stone matrix it will lose some of the intensity and brightness.

The only other option is to have it set from a slice of the entire face that you can see here. There's always the possibility that more colour areas are inside the rest of the nut. In that case it will need careful slicing to find.

Opal like this is always a bit of a risk. 'A bird in the hand' as they say.

Kindest regards,
Shauno.

1374630179_opal.jpg

This is another piece i found in the Yowah area, leave as a specimen or would do get cut?

Sorry not a great picture!!!

Hi ND,

It comes down to what you like mostly. You could leave it, or even have it faced off (as you're showing it here), cabbed, and polished up nicely.

It's always a little hard for me to offer an opinion without seeing the piece personally. But go with your heart and make sure you see a reputable cutter if you decide to go that way :)

Really nice seam of colour in that specie!
Cheers,
Shauno.

Nice one!

I'm always out specking during or after the rain. Best time to find something. The overcast light is perfect for opal too.
Keep looking! Love to see these.

Kindest regards,
Shauno.

Latest posts