Razorback coil, finally got it.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At least you know other people haven't been hitting that spot ozzii if you're pulling up lead, shells and the like.
It's only a matter of time before a target comes up gold, like looking for a needle in a hay stack no different to any other location apart from some other areas have been hammered by many.

Been checking a few different places so I can try the detector in different conditions, went to a new place today that had a good bit of hydraulic sluicing done, found some bullets/lead & some scrap metal & found a live .22 round as well.
Noticed detector wasn't running as smooth about half an hour to an hour before going home though, checked battery voltage when I got home & it was down to 10.1v. Think it might have something to do with the RB coil, I did read somewhere that they run better with higher voltage. Was a bit of EMI around, clouds coming over, not far from a small town & phone tower a couple kays away but tuning wasn't too bad, was a bit harder to get tuned with the low battery voltage though.
Few pics from today, might head back there tomorrow with fresh batteries.

ozziii said:
Found this rock as well today, got a good signal from it but just looks like a normal rock to me, I guess its probably a hot rock.

Maybe, but personally I'd be taking a hammer to it just in case. If the resulting fragments each give a small signal, then it's definately a hot rock, but if only one fragment signals, there's likely to be something different inside that piece, so break it up more.

Thanks Grub, I reckon I might have to go give it a wack now. Its reasonably light for its size so I wasn't thinking there would be gold in there but I guess if its just a small piece then it wouldn't really effect the weight. Now, where's that hammer gone.

EDIT : Gave it a hit & broke it up into about 10 pieces, each bit gave off a signal.
Not sure what causes rocks to do this so will have to do some research.

For those who have used this coil, or the MJ of similar size, what size nuggets are they capable of finding.?
I'm just trying to work out area's I should be going too, like if an area was known for very small/tiny nuggets, or very small deeper nuggets, then maybe I'm better off going elsewhere if this coil on the SPP won't be sensitive enough to find them. What small nuggets has everyone found with these coils & the SPP (or SL & TDI) & how deep where they, it seems most nuggets being found these days are well under a gram.

Also, just to try & clear things up a little for myself about the SPP.
GAIN, how does this actually effect things & by how much. Going from say full gain of 10, down to the arrow setting of 5, how does this effect depth & sensitivity to small nuggets, like 1 gram or less.

I watched a few more youtube vids & think I'm getting the tuning done ok now, well compared to some of the video's I've watched anyway, so thanks to everyone for getting me sorted there.
Frequency still takes a bit to get sorted but thats where dropping the gain to around 5-7 has helped, thats why I asked about the effects on gain & nugget size/depth above.

As folded mono coils are meant to be more sensitive, does that mean they can find smaller nuggets deeper than the normal mono of the same size, or just smaller nuggets with no depth advantage over the normal mono.
I'm thinking I should have got the 6x10 folded mono, maybe I should start saving, or better still, find some bloody gold,haha.

Sorry if these are stupid questions but I'm trying to learn as much as I can as fast as I can & this forum is the only place I can get the help & info I need for the Whites SPP & prospecting in general, so trying to find the strengths & weaknesses of the detector/coil to hopefully give me a better chance of finding a few nuggets.

Thanks again for all the help everyone has given me, as I know very few people everything I learn has to come from the internet, I won't be joining any organisations again.

Hey mate, ive got the same coil on my oz pro, and using a 1.5gm teat piece, was just getting a signal at about 6 inches, will definatly do some more tests though, had the test piece inside a clear plastic , gel filled case. On the surface it sounds like a 44 gallon drum, 6 inches down, a very feint zip.
Will try it again out of the case.
Found a, shot gun pellet, about 2 or 3 grams at good depth the other day.

Thanks Davent, only 6 inches, I thought you would of got more depth than that, specially with the pro.
I have a .87 gram test piece in a small round plastic container, using the 12" Whites single field mono coil we were able to get a signal close to 6 inches, very faint but it was there, I would of thought this RB coil could do better than that. I did test with the RB coil but it wasn't a good day with EMI around because of clouds, rain, wind etc & detector wasn't running that smooth so will have to test again.
If I can't get a signal on this nugget at 6 inches then I don't think I would be very happy as from what I understand it should be able to find much smaller. Bit warm to be testing today so will have to wait for it to cool down a bit.

I was shocked to be honest.
Putting it down to, bad tuning by me.
wet ground, also mineralized.
the case squashes the nugget between 2 layers of a gel, 6 or 7mm deep.
didnt measure the depth of the hole, but I reckon it should have screamed.
I put the dirt over it pretty loosley, and estimate 1st try at about 8inches. No signal. At 6 inches or there abouts, it was very feighnt, I probably wouldnt have dug it.
Gain was close to max, and the g b, was 3/4 course, fine just over 1/2, freq was just over 1/2.

Hopefully the coils are as good as what I'm told & its the tuning that needs sorting out. I know my tuning wasn't the best so will give the test nugget another try when I go out next time.

Hi Ozziii and davent, I have the Miner John 11x7 folded and Razorback 10x5 mono on my SPP and I find that with my 0.3 gram test piece I can only pick it up at about 1.5 inches with both coils. I was pretty dissapointed at first, till I tried a mates 0.5 gram nug and got a good 5 inches on it. Looking at both test bits, my nugget is a rough roundish shape and my mates is flatter and smooth, which tells the story on the depth of gold with these coils on the SPP.
My modded SPP isn't far off the performance of my mates TDI pro. Wer'e both in SA, so we need to get over to the GT to have a good shootout sometime,
Cheers OzzieAu.

Thanks AussieAu, was that 1.5 inches with an air test or in the ground, I think when I done an air test with the .87 nugget I got about 1 inch, need to retest that too I think as it was done at home so EMI was present.
When you say your SPP is modded, whats have you done to it. I put the conductivity switch in ours but thats it.

ozziii, I tested them in the ground at our "famous" Jupiter Creek diggings which has patchy mineralisation and not much yellow.
I've got the con. switch fitted as well as the upgraded motherboard, with a resistor (C42 I think?) bridged. This was a mod which a former PA member and Whites expert recommended for maximum depth potential. I won't know for sure how well this mod works till I walk over some colour over your way.
Other Whites users on here will know the expert I'm talking about (Luke), no longer on the forum.
Adrian.

1.5 inches in the ground, yeah I wouldn't of been happy either, but as you said, the shape etc of the nugget can make a difference like it did with your mates nugget, a little extra size would of made a little difference as well. From what I was told, the small RB 6x10 folded mono should find small nuggets under .5, it should pick up your .3 grammer reasonably well, not sure on depth though.

The SPP we have is a newer model made with the new upgrades/motherboard as standard but not sure about the bridged resister though, thats probably another mod not included from factory, the con switch is a good mod to have though.

The .87 nugget we have here is reasonably solid, sort of an 'L' shape, it should be detected alright I think.

Yeah, that nug has a good surface area, should get that at 6"-8" I would have thought.
I've found plenty of .22 slugs at that depth.?

1450350898_20151112_2126101.jpg
1450350930_20151209_1750481.jpg

my test nugget, and bullet fragmentslead slug and old 303 round found at various depths, the smallest frag was deep, or 8 inches, and loud. I thought it was a nugget for sure.....fugget!

Yeah I'm hoping 6-8 inches with the RB coil if I have the tuning done properly, it should do it considering the 12" mono from whites got it close to 6", & that was with the rechargeable pack too, so lower voltage, now I'm using the RB coil I have just been using duracell alkalines for the extra voltage as it makes a difference from what I've read & been told.
I've found .22 bullets at 10+ inches with both coils, rusty metal/tin as well, but even the smaller bits of lead seem to give a better signal than this nugget. I might have to cut up some .22 bullets to test, I weighed one not long back & it was around 1.8 grams so I might cut a few to different sizes for testing & might make one a similar size & shape as the nugget as well.
This hole was for a .22 bullet using the RB coil, duracell batteries & low conductivity, about 100metre's to the left were power lines & there were houses not far away as well. So it does ok on lead, just hope its the same for gold. The black grip on the pick handle is 5 inches long.