Razorback coil, finally got it.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozziii

Paul
Reaction score
Finally got the RB Longreach coil, 7.5x12 folded mono, will be good to get out in the goldfields & give this thing a run & see how it compares to the standard 12" round mono from Whites. Will do a bit of a comparison when I can soon.
Going to try it out on some coin hunting as well, both pre-decimal & current.

Congrats on the new Coil, Keep us updated, I have come to the conclusion that the standard coil is more directed at coin hunting and large targets it can see them real deep but those fine bits is where it's At,

Can you tell me why you went with that coil and not the 7x11 Folded Mono ?? as the folded ones are supposed to be more sensitive ??

Please try to weigh any tiny bits you find because I would like to see how small it can go,

Thanks, John

I would be interested in hearing how it compares to the Sadie on the TDI. I have found the Sadie to be very sensitive to small targets but can get a little noisy in some areas.

Gave it a quick test drive earlier, only a hour & in a similar place to where I tried the standard 12", not far from power lines.
It did run alot quieter, still a little interference but I mainly put that down to my tuning skills, but I did find it easier to get running smoother. Ground balancing was also much easier & I could run higher gain than I could with the standard 12" while still having it run smoother. I need to go right away from everything to minimize EMI etc so I can test it better & will take the .87 gram test nugget & see how it goes on that as well. I'm not sure on the weight of the coil but it seems lighter to use & pin pointing with it is much easier too.

Ridge Runner, the 7x11 folded is a Minor Johns coil, Razorback have the 7.5x12, this one is also a folded mono, but there is also an RB in the same size (7.5x12) but normal mono.

Magilla, not sure how this one will go compared to the sadie but Razorback have a 5x9 mono & folded mono that is meant to be very good for tiny peices & from what I understand would be a match for the sadie. That might be the next coil we get when we can.

Sweet looking coil ozzii, should prove to be a good all rounder for the SPP, will be interested to see how it performs re depth. :)

Thanks GP, will be good not having sticks get stuck in it all the time thats for sure,haha.
Going to take the .87 gram nugget out tomorrow & see how it goes, the standard 12" detected it a 6 inches, probably would at 7, so this new coil being more sensitive should do better.
I would like to catch up with other Whites users & do some testing etc & learn a bit from them if they are very experienced but I don't think there's many down this way.

Would be good to catch up sometime, just about due for another trip east. Whilst not having a huge amount of time on the SPP, it would be good to run with someone using the same gear for a bit of fun.

If you do get over to the Ballarat area then I'd be glad to catch up, would be good to meet some forum members & go for a swing.
Hey, I see you have the Bullseye TRX, what are your thoughts, from what I understand they are one of the better pointers available.

Apart from the poorly lit LED light, it's pretty flexible & sensitive pinpointer, gets very good depth as well. Though in saying that, mine has been playing up a bit at times, takes a while to register on target on startup, so may send it back to get it checked out. It has has had a pretty hard life, and is currently on its second replacement housing.

The TRX is also now classed as waterproof (IP86), so has the same rating as the Garrett AT Propointer. Unfortunately both have had a hefty price hike due to the US dollar, hence there are some other good options out there for a lot less.

Thanks, the LED being dull wouldn't worry me, lights just use more battery power. They seem like a decent pointer but the price here is a bit over the top so like you said, there are others available at a lower cost so that might be a better option.

Spoke to Brian today & got some tips for this coil, like how to mount the cable to the shaft, because the RB coil is much more sensitive than standard 12", its better to have cable running straight up the bottom section instead of wound around it, meant to be better this way & makes it more secure so no chance of movement causing tone changes (don't know correct term) from bumps & movement.
Taped it for now but ordered some clips that Brian told me about. Will try it this way & see how it goes.
I was trying to tune RB coil using full gain like with the standard coil, but with rain the night before & clouds coming over & more rain due & maybe storms there was probably some emi around so the higher sensitivity of the new coil was probably effecting the detector a bit more so I'm going to need more tuning practice & may have to drop the gain a little, also using good 1.5v AA alkaline batteries with a higher total voltage than rechargeables so from what I understand that will also make the coil more sensitive which may also cause it to detect more emi.
Even though my tuning skills need improving, I was able to get the detector running reasonably smooth though & the tonal changes that were happening were only slight but that could of also been partly due to soil conditions as well. Ground balancing was a bit difficult to get spot on so probably caused some issues.
I did bury our .87 gram nugget & with gain at full, ALL mode, I tuned frequency as good as I could, done the ground balance, switched to LOW mode & tried to test depth, was probably between 6-7 inches but because of my tuning skills, or lack there of, possible EMI & possibly the way the cable was wound, I don't really think my test was very accurate. So I will have to try it again after some changes.
But overall from the couple of hours I have used the coil, it does seem to be much better & even though I'm not very experienced I do think it runs smoother with the RB coil, with more time it should be even better.
The biggest problem is me, I need to get alot more practice, specially on the tuning side of things.
Just means I'm going to have to spend more time in the bush & anywhere else I can use the detector.

That's exactly what I did, also using the cable clips. My infinium was notorious for the coil picking up on any cable movement, even on windy days just a hint of movement was enough to set it off.

Placing the cable at the rear of the lower shaft should also help protect it from shrubbery.

1447935672_img_20151119_225240.jpg

I ordered the clips from Solargoldaustralia on Ebay, Brian said they were pretty good clips so will give them a try.
I actually taped the cable up the front of the shaft thinking that would keep it out of the way of shrubs etc, but now seeing your post I should have put it to the rear of shaft, will have to change it tomorrow. Not sure why I thought going up the front of shaft would be better, tired maybe,haha.
Is that the 14" MJ coil you have there.?

ozziii said:
I was trying to tune RB coil using full gain like with the standard coil, but with rain the night before & clouds coming over & more rain due & maybe storms there was probably some emi around so the higher sensitivity of the new coil was probably effecting the detector a bit more so I'm going to need more tuning practice & may have to drop the gain a little, also using good 1.5v AA alkaline batteries with a higher total voltage than rechargeables so from what I understand that will also make the coil more sensitive which may also cause it to detect more emi.

Ground balancing was a bit difficult to get spot on so probably caused some issues.

I did bury our .87 gram nugget & with gain at full, ALL mode, I tuned frequency as good as I could, done the ground balance, switched to LOW mode

Hey Ozzii, just reading about your starting setting up, try starting with the Gain at about 5-6 (not up full) to GB in All, flick to Low then advance the GB slightly then lastly turn the Gain up and you should be able to achieve full Gain.

Don't get too concerned about achieving a perfect GB in All because ideally you want to flick to Low then advance that GB slightly anyway, go about half - 1 notch advanced eg, if GB is at 8 then advance it to 8.5, if you're still getting ground noise then go to 9 on the GB (this is how you discriminate out false signals).
Try the above settings next time you're out and see if it makes a difference, then try the nugget test again to see what difference it makes.

By the way, when I used the Energizer AA Lithiums and was getting 14.7v from the pack I did notice more chatter/noise too so I think you're correct about the higher voltage having an effect on coil sensitivity and EMI.

Thanks Pete, I had read something about the GB similar to what you have mentioned but wasn't really sure how to do it properly, the way you have explained it though makes it a bit clearer so will takes notes & try it nest time we go out.
Went today for a quick detect to a different area, old diggings, sluiced gullies, water races, lots of quartz, loaming holes & costeans (I think) & what I think is parts of quarts reefs. Got some signals & got some scrap, just bullets, casings & other scrap stuff.

Latest posts