Fisher F5 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grechie

Andrew Grech
Reaction score
hi, ive recently bought my first detector, its a fisher F5 with 10'' DD coil, id just like to know if it is good for gold too, i know it sounds like a stupid question but i think its main purpose is to be a coin shooter, even its settings are for coins.

ive been reading reveiws and no one seems to be using it for gold. would buying a 11''DD coil give it that extra kick to find gold gram size or smaller... i know it can find bigger peices if its under any detector it will respond to it if its big enough, but i just need reasurance that i bought a decent detector that can do a decent job for being a lower mid priced detector i can have fun with, and can accumulate enough gold over months to upgrade to a gold bug or minelab.

i think its a good detector and im having fun with it but like i said i dont really know if it will land the yellow stuff.

Hey Grechie, congratulations on the new detector.

Im not familiar with the Fisher F5 as I've never had one. Hopefully someone will be able to answer that for you.

In regards to coils, bigger coils usually penetrate deeper at the cost of sensitivity to smaller targets. Smaller coils don't penetrate as deep as the larger ones but are usually more sensitive to smaller targets. This is a general explanation and there are other factors to consider such as coil type. I hope it makes sence, it's late lol

P.S. there is no such thing as a stupid question on this forum :)

Thanks nugget.

i guess the only way to know for sure is to get accustomed to it and take it out more often, so the bigger the coil the less sensitive it is but deeper it goes, il keep that in mind its a DD coil, i might just buy an 11'' and use em both to see their strengths and weaknesses in different situations,

thanks

Here's a diagram that shows the difference in detection fields between, concentric, double-d and mono coils.
29qdt00.jpg
9g8om0.jpg
2n6r7zn.jpg

Choose your coil based on the ground conditions and what your chasing at the time.

yep so Double-D coils sense through the middle of the coil and concentric kind of fan out into kind of an arc right? i know it depends on the soil how far it can penetrate id like to get 8 to 12 inches out of it and pick up smaller targets too.. just takes practice i guess

can i buy a mono coil for my F5? if so whats compatable and best to buy?

i figured out my detector and like it, i went for a quick detect last night at 8pm, i had gain at 75 and sensitivity at +9, i found a lump of what i think is lead about 8 inches down and some hot rocks about 5 inches down in very trashy scrub land, was very pleased, hopefully i can get out to a gold feild

Hello Just Bought a newish F5 for my son can't wait to use it.All reviews seem very positive,just wondering does anyone have one on here ?And how it's going?Thanks Jason

I've never used an F5, but seems like a good unit. Personally I think that high tone in the D3 mode is ear piercing.
I like the display layout and knobs, and everything is at your fingertips. That is my favourite F series coil too.

Look forward to hear your results Jason after you've used it for a while.

Cheers

Ah nice one. Always thought they got the ergonomics right with the F70. S shaft with that concentric coil and the batteries under the arm cuff. I've used an F75 and T2 and just didnt like the rod set-up or that finned stock DD coil.

Hopefully Fisher come out with some more machines based around the F70 platform. They may have to get their wriggle on with the rate that Nokta are churning them out!

Let me start off by saying that I have not put this on a fisher forum as I want an unbiased opinion...
For the money is there any metal detector better than the F5? I was leaning towards the Whites metal detectors as I was told by a neighbour of mine that if its gold you`re after go for a Minelab and if its coins you`re after go for a Whites. But after reading a few reviews on the Fisher F5 it seems to be my best option for finding stuff in the park and on the beach. In this sort of price range ($700) is there any other detector I should consider before getting my credit card out?

I still advocate using the alditecta more and stashing the credit card in the freezer between two slabs of ice until the funds in an almighty stream gush forth from the earth and save you a bundle of intrest that may well eat into your profit margin in such a way as to make detecting a chore for you instead of a pleasure in the pursuit of just breaking even (ha). :) unless of course that recurring dream is forcing a justification of the liberal use of the banks money in order to hit the wet sand running so to speak,... or you know something we all don't know ? :D
The like buton works too,... and if you click follow topic you can find your threads again easily for commenting (no need to thank me"ha"). ;)

Xterra is great, but only great, if you can handle the noises of all metal mode. Makro racer or fors core is way to go, without smashing the plastic to hard.