Road Cutting / Face Strata Gallery & Discussion

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmmm interesting observations especially the blue shoe :)
sadly this is mainly due to cyanide causing the bleaching in the layers, just left 50 meters the soil is red and rich and all around here but this spot where the vats sat and leaked into the earth is barren and the minerals have leached to a thick belt right between layers of pipeclay. its amazing actually you can stand on some of that iron oxide.

IN summer its gets really red and brown and winter its white... amazing.
google "Edwards' Pyrites & Ore Reduction Co"
Edwards.jpg

if you're interested in the area this paper is well worth a read https://www.academia.edu/1487451/Ce...alaeoriver_systems_Central_Highlands_Victoria

Basically the ridge line behind here is "the indicator" if you know about Ballarat mining there is one main indicator whihc runs through here out to castlemaine the reefs behind here fed the deep leads you hear about and two of the richest deep leads are less than 1km from this spot,

1449098321_20140209_191139.jpg

have to google "Edwards' Pyrites & Ore Reduction Co" in affraid the links wont work here they are dynamic
heres a summary :

Background

Edwards erected a building on the slopes of Frenchman's Hill, Sebastopol in 1890. Remains of the company can be seen behind the former garbage tip in Whitehorse Road, Sebastopol.
History

This company started operation around 1896. It roasted mullock and waste from local mines, as well as those further afield. The remains of the ore was called 'roasted ore' and was red in colour. Arsenic fumes from the plant killed much of the vegetation in the south east area of the plant. This problem was solved in later years be redesigning the chimneys at the plant. Many workers of the plant suffered chronic respiratory problems caused by the arsenic fumes. A large proportion of the slimes found their way into the creek by an overflow placed at the side of each vat.

Eight cyanide leaching vats held 100 tons each. The pulp was fed into them, by nicely constructed distributors.The golden solution was run through boxes containing charcoal, then the precious charcoal was dried and burnt. The ashes containing the gold were smelted in crucibles in the usual manner.
BALLARAT, September 16.
At the Police Court to-day the Buninyong Shire Council proceeded against Messrs. Edwards, of the pyrites works at Magpie, for treating pyrites without the consent of the Council, and thereby causing offensive fumes. Evidence for the prosecution was given by Henry Edward Geddes, a miner, who said the fumes from the works had affected the health of himself and children, and John Gullock, postmaster at Magpie, whose health had also been injured, and who had lost a horse through being poisoned by the gases from the works. Robert Knowles, a farmer, deposed that fumes had killed some of his cattle. Other evidence of a similar character was given. For the defence it was contended that no offence had been committed against the Act, which applied to abattoirs, factories, etc., and not to pyrites works. Dr. Atkinson, of Bendigo, said he was familiar with pyrites works in his districts, that the health of residents there was very good, and public health was not affected by the fumes in any way. Dr. McGillivray, Bendigo, corroborated, as did also Dr. Hugh Boyd, Bendigo. Mr. Cosmo Newbery said he was with the Noxious Fumes Board is their recent investigations, and they could not trace any ill effects to the community from the fumes of pyrites. The scorching of leaves of trees was due to sulphur. The effect on animal life was practically nil. As things were at present in the vicinity of the Magpie pyrites works he should say the cause of death of animals was not due to the fumes. On rising the Court adjourned until next day. [1]

The plant was closed during the 1930s. When the plant was no longer profitable the plant was used to manufacture sheep dip and paint. Remains of the company can be seen behind the garbage tip in Whitehorse Road, Sebastopol.

reference https://bih.federation.edu.au/

AtomRat said:
Is it possible for you to send me a .pdf version of that document. Im struggling to access it via my phone and cant press the pdf button. Looks like a good read already

its 12 mg mate i doubt your email would pass it on but happy to try, shoot me an email and i'll reply with the attachment :)

not exactly mate, they had 100 tonne of cyanide processing pyrites and other left overs form various mining operations, the gas they were burning off was apparently not doing any harm..... this is the ground below the the cyanide stacks down wind if you like, i still think sits amazing and its shows some slices of millions of years of deposition but long term what a scar.... the council used the adjacent block as a rubbish dump, yes it was a deep lead and yes it leaks into the yarrowee..... crazy council cover ups.

when the water level gets a bit low here the rocks all turn white ahhh!!!!

yeh people wonder why the yarrowee is off limits :) council wont tell you the truth.... funny how that site is the site they chose to put the sewage settling ponds isn;t it :)

Pink cliffs Heathcote.
The better half and I spent the day in Heathcote and was told to check out the Pink Cliffs.
Glad we did as it was an awesome look at what's under the soil.
And I can totally understand now why hydraulic sluicing is banned.
1449102035_images.jpg

wow is that from hydraulic sluicing? doesn't looking anything like the hydraulic sluiced benches in Victoria.

that's beautiful, wheres all the rocks from the sluicing?

From what I remember reading they built 11 kilometres of water channel to get water for the hydraulic sluicing, nothing has grown since.
I don't know much of the history of this place except that it was sluiced around the 1880's I think.
Beautiful place to visit.
I'll be taking the kids there soon and try to spark an interest in geology in them.
Cause if this don't spark an interest nothing will lol.

They were already in the poop so they chose to cover it even further. :lol:
Yet we step a little out of line and cop it like a ton of bricks. :mad: :mad:

G0lddigg@ said:
..wheres all the rocks from the sluicing?

..dont know how many times ive asked myself that up near Castlemaine... where did it all go 8) mountains..gone.

Never been to heathcote so cheers for sharing that LC76, looks similar to red knobs ground

yeh its freeky for sure, most of the high bench areas around Ballarat / creswick, the quartz is stacked up in piles around the areas they sluiced, if the quartz yields where high enough sometime they were run through the stampers. hang on that must be where all the beach sand comes from lol

AtomRat said:
Cheers Parks for submitting the first example! I've never seen a deep lead personally so I really like this as a first one! Is this near me at all? I don't get out to Tanjil often and I havnt heard of the deep lead there so super interesting again.

I can see some differences between this and standard alluvial I'm used to seeing. I think I've found some of this in warburton, woukd I be correct on this would u know Parks?

I thought the first example I'd be able to upload is of Andersons Creek / Dry Creek formation along Eastlink Freeway that many would know. Its nit been covered with paved rockes but they paved it in a way you can still see the strata and dykes

G'day Atomrat,

I am just re reading this post as I find it quiet interesting. Above you mentioned Andersons Creek along Eastlink. Anderson's creek is in Warrandyte few k's to the north from Eastlink. I think you meant Mullum Mullum creek or have I got this wrong? I drive on Eastlink all the time and have not noticed this strata and dykes. Is it on Doncaster side of the tunnel or Ringwood side?

Latest posts