Road Cutting / Face Strata Gallery & Discussion

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heres another series of photos of a lode in granite
1448784594_dsc00007.jpg

1448784656_dsc00009.jpg
1448784688_dsc00010.jpg
1448784717_dsc00011.jpg

The location is not exactly a road cutting, its on the bank of the dartmouth dam near the entrance to the larsens creek arm. At least one vein looks very mineralized. I didnt take a sample as It was late in the arvo and I needed to get back to the ramp to aviod the rush. I think I was on my own that day too.
Dartmouth dam is a great place to observe many different geological formations as there is a good geomap, the 1in 100,000 tallangatta mapsheet that you can take with to identify the various types of bedrock and geological features. Most of the soils that usually cover the underlying bedrocks has been washed into the dam as the banks are so steep so its easy to see what is usually hidden underneath.
The fishing & yabbies are good too. :D

I was thinking bout this thread earlier. Cheers for another example jethro! A rather interesting one at that too. That quartz vertical vein looks like it opens up and possibly some nice crystals in there :D

I would have thought the quartz would slightly stick out from granite seperately, but it doesn't seem like that from the photos.

Doesn't matter if its not a cutting, but its a clear shot of a face / wall showing interesting strata. The verticle cracks to the left of that vertical quartz actually seems interesting to me as well

Here's some I grabbed the other day driving through a new road cut out... Anyone notice somthing of interest, I'm a well.. newbie when it's come too this

20151110_175432_RichtoneHDR_zpsrn0rz5ex.jpg

20151110_175426_RichtoneHDR_zpsxspr5ert.jpg

20151110_175336_RichtoneHDR_zpsk4jevwmv.jpg

Cheers
Cody

Great thread AR, I've got a couple of interesting road cutting to get pics of next time I pass them, in the meantime here's a pic from a very recent trip to Tibooburra, not a road cutting but a face of a hill, would love to of had more time to sample it.
1448799144_dsc07623.jpg

1448799144_dsc07624.jpg

Ooohhh ...what a nice looking wall Pete :eek: imagine the power and mass of water that put all that there over a long time! The clay 'egg' is a good one and I've seen similar down the beach, but several together. Yours looks like its been through a few more years of baking and metmorphasism along layers. The thin dark one for some reason is attractive to me in it.

These 2 pics are the same face from more of a distance and give an idea to the size of the area, this is only one of the features of the area, it was a pity is was 38deg on the trip, too hot for me to do much except get some great pics and dream about when I go back some day when it's cooler to seriously sample the areas.

1448800517_dsc07620.jpg

1448800517_dsc07619.jpg

I like the big rat holes in it Pete. :eek: ,... would have been cooler in them. :D
And ain't that a tight looking fold Digger. :D

Smithy42 said:

Really hard to tell from a photo but it looks like somethings happening in the middle of the cutting where it is orange. It looks like slate to the right from cleavage and colour (grey) and to the left maybe sediments still and if I am not mistaken has cleavage so some regional metamorphism has taken place. If you look at the direction of cleavage in the slate to the right as it gets closer to the orange bit it changes direction so maybe it it a fault dragging and deforming the surrounding rock. I can't see much deformation on the left side of the orange bit but can't make out much anyway. There doesn't look like any cleavage in the orange bit from the photo and it looks pretty solid so I would guess you have a dyke intruding the sediments. If you look to the left in the first pic there looks like very thin orange/dark lines in the same direction as the orange dyke. If you look to the right of the dyke to the edge of the grey slate the dyke material does not look solid but munched up. Perhaps this is caused by a fault? The whole cutting could just be layering of sediment but you'd have to go back for a better look and see what type of rocks they are and what is happening in the munched bit.
Jon

definitely not a road cutting but i like to drive to this spot and watch the sun go down as it casts an amazing light onto this partially white canvas, a very interesting example of layers and several formations including basalt cap, any ideas what could cause this window into the layers? i'll give you a big hint...... not much grows around here anymore and the council has installed a settling pond between this and the local creek.

1449092883_20140205_105829.jpg

1449091940_20140205_105826.jpg

1449093371_20140205_105948.jpg

1449093673_20140205_105832.jpg

1449093922_20140205_105938.jpg

Another great addition, cheers Golddigga

To me it looks like a big sedimentary deposit and slowly eroding away to leave the island just how ayres rock was formed.

Also looks similar to surfaced ground but minues slates.

Water erosion looks like the main cause for the shape of it all. I can see how once the basalt layer was layed on the sediments, the weight from the obove rock compressed the layers below and morphed a layer possibly?

I see a blue shoe. Do you.

May have been a fresh water lake bed. :D
Starting from the bottom sediments were laid down over a period of time.
About half way up there is a layer of harder material.
This layer was most likely the result of an event that laid down a bed of harder material that has
been compressed by the weight on top causing a barrier.
On top that that things went back to normal for a few million years.
The Basalt could only come from Volcanic activity in the local area sealing the lot of.
Over the next millennium, The whole deposit has lifted with the cap on top.
If it was a gold bearing area maybe the Old Timers Hydraulically sluiced it of.
I do not know where this is but the general history both in a Geographic and Mining sense should give away the
area's secrets.
Still an awesome place to look at and ponder. :) :) :)

Latest posts