Would this be classed as payable gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mbasko said:
You can buy both Nitric Acid 70% & Hydrochloric Acid 36% in Victoria.
Anpros might be worth a look ;)

That's true and I never knew anyone off the street can order nitric acid I was under the impression that you couldn't without certain licences anyway I just rang them and spoke to the guy there and its cost for 2.5Lt bottle $69.50 plus freight so that's pretty good I reckon so that's a start.. Thanks mbasko it takes us one step closer... regards GC ;)

Humbolt said:
Bjay said:
Total newbie at this sort of thing but a few trips ago found half a dozen small species up to a few inches size ( not the gold I wish) broke them up to reveal the gold and will leave them like that but thought I should dolly up the rest and pan it and was quite surprised to find quite a bit of very very fine gold in it. Question is if once crushed to a powder and try to remove as much foreign material as possible will it work trying to melt in crucible
or am I wasting my time. Also think I found a small silver nuggie in it
have it run through chemical Process by someone who does that sort of thing
i think melting may cause you too much gold loss
your silver nuggy might just be platinum group metals too ;)
Must admit I had a bit of a enthusiastic stupid moment with the silvery nuggie.as I used an old crowbar for the hammer I have now found that it was a descent size chip of said crowbar. Looked dull just like silver cause of the sand blasting of crushing plus little bit shiny where broke off . Newbie enthusiasm :8

Bjay said:
Humbolt said:
Bjay said:
Total newbie at this sort of thing but a few trips ago found half a dozen small species up to a few inches size ( not the gold I wish) broke them up to reveal the gold and will leave them like that but thought I should dolly up the rest and pan it and was quite surprised to find quite a bit of very very fine gold in it. Question is if once crushed to a powder and try to remove as much foreign material as possible will it work trying to melt in crucible
or am I wasting my time. Also think I found a small silver nuggie in it
have it run through chemical Process by someone who does that sort of thing
i think melting may cause you too much gold loss
your silver nuggy might just be platinum group metals too ;)
Must admit I had a bit of a enthusiastic stupid moment with the silvery nuggie.as I used an old crowbar for the hammer I have now found that it was a descent size chip of said crowbar. Looked dull just like silver cause of the sand blasting of crushing plus little bit shiny where broke off . Newbie enthusiasm :8

:lol: :lol: thats Funny :cool:

Was about to ask how to find out about platinum group metals. Well in my case just see if it sticks to a magnet first next time

Hey Greencheeks.
That looks like a really good prospect you have there. I would collect the gold left in the pan & dry & weigh it using a set of powder scales and then calculate the grade by dividing 1000kg by the weight of stone you started with then multiplying your collected gold weight by the answer. This will give you grams per metric tonne head grade or parts per million. 30 parts per million is just below 1 troy ounce per short ton. you should look at having an assay done if you have a lot of this ore.

greencheeks77 said:
[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/890G073e7F0[/video]
Hi Everyone I have crushed up about 20 or 25kg of rock and this was my end result after running it through a sluice and a pan and was hoping someone might give me their thoughts to wether it would be classed as payable gold (as in worth the effort ) and am I wasting valuable sulphides that could be smelted or precipitating with acids to retrieve the invisible gold.. Cheers GC

That looks great mate!. Glad to see your into it. But as payable gold goes???? Well I would say study and research a bit more. That's what prospecting is all about. My next shaft is going 1-2 kilo per 5 Ltrs of bucket wash. But mate! It's taken me 25 YEARS to get there. So whether it is profitable or not is up to you :)

Parks said:
greencheeks77 said:
Hi Everyone I have crushed up about 20 or 25kg of rock and this was my end result after running it through a sluice and a pan and was hoping someone might give me their thoughts to wether it would be classed as payable gold (as in worth the effort ) and am I wasting valuable sulphides that could be smelted or precipitating with acids to retrieve the invisible gold.. Cheers GC

That looks great mate!. Glad to see your into it. But as payable gold goes???? Well I would say study and research a bit more. That's what prospecting is all about. My next shaft is going 1-2 kilo per 5 Ltrs of bucket wash. But mate! It's taken me 25 YEARS to get there. So whether it is profitable or not is up to you :)

only 25 years ? took me only 3 but can't mine it cos its down 60m in solid rock 8.(

Parks said:
greencheeks77 said:

Mate you must be retired already, your pulling more gold out of the ground than tony beets

madworld said:
Parks said:
greencheeks77 said:

Mate you must be retired already, your pulling more gold out of the ground than tony beets

Far from it mate. For 25 years I've known of this spot but haven't been able to mine due to water. I know there will be pockets in the old creek bed that will contain deep crevices full of gold.

Is mercury illegal to use in vic even with a retort...., Hi everyone just reading an article in todays news and it turns out a guy in vic is probably going to be charged for being in possession of mercury and also a lot of other stuff but my question is if you use mercury for gold recovery in vic where do you stand when it comes down to the law.... ... regards GC :)

It all depends what sort of mercury he had. But I know of no bans unless your doing something ..dodgy like making fulminate ..but no... mercury is not illegal. Its in our thermosats, our tuna, our thermometers and our teeth. Can you supply a link to thr same story? He ccan't be fined for mercury itself .... hmmm epa couldve been involved if he was retorting without water...mecury oxide would be damaging the atmosphere. Something doesn't add up. Mercury is completely legal.

my guess would be as atomrat has said, he was contaminating the atmosphere and not retorting correctly, I cant see someone busting in the door for having mercury in your lab, every school, every lab would have some mercury.

look for cinnabar (HgS) and you have an easy source,

Thanks Guys for the confirmation wasn't to sure and that was funny AR , I was going to put the link up but I didn't want to taint the thread with politics so let just say it is in todays headlines on Google News... And you may of hit the nail on the head AR as I believe I read that it wasn't just mercury apparently it is alleged that he was maybe up to some mischief as well.... cheers GC ;)

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/TbI_ZArJ22U[/video]

How NOT to use Mercury ..... Just so we are all clear that it is a very dangerous toxin and for everyone reading this thread should be aware that it is not to be messed with and should be handled with caution..... NEVER let it come in contact with your skin....

100% mercury is toxic and should never be taken lightly. like any Toxin dont touch it, use in a ventilated area and always keep mercury under water.

The Mad hatter in Alice in wonderland was just that. They used to mix mercury with the rabbit fur before placing it over a hat shape and hitting it with hot steam to make the hats. The steam vapour was being breathed in and caused the hatters to go insane and mad. I also just this morning read an article on Ballarat around 1900 saying there where increasing numbers of lunatics on the field and in 1 week 42 were arrested. Makes me wonder if mercury was the cause. Sort of along the same topic, a friend of mine had a dog and she wouldn't clean up the dogs mess. To combat the flies she bought a heap of those auto fly sprays and placed all around the inside of her home. She went insane. And superglue. Superglue as used by nail technicians is known to cause incredible damage to the brain. Check out the masks those chicks wear if and when they do wear one. They are dust masks and useless against the gas fumes that the glue gives off.

Latest posts