Would this be classed as payable gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi GC
I think you have taken the date of the book wrong,1997 not 1897,so all the imformation in the book is current.
It has many illustrations on the sections it is covering.
You see to cover the subject properly,you can't say A+C-F and that is all too it.When I read this book and started to refine metal,it took sometime to fully get exactly the process right.
As for a person that "Knowledge is power" person,you away of the mark,at the last meet at Creswick,I bought along my small jaw crusher that I built,and gave a demo of it working,also showed how I had fitted lithium ion batteries to the SPP detector.
So I am not going into a long drawn out process on refining gold and using chemicals,I will point you in the right direction,it is not exactly a 2 page book.

Regards for now
Frank

Hi Frank, Don't take the quote (knowledge is power type of bloke ) personally I was saying it as a generalisation not directly at you.. ;) As for the book again as you say it took you some time to get it refining metal right even with the book, so what makes you think someone else is going to persevere and get it right without some sort of guidance from someone that has already paved the way.. you say you have to hone your skills but that's like me saying you have to learn through trial and error and me personally have tried and failed and that's why I am asking how do you refine, not what a books said in 97.. Regards GC

Hi GC
It is a bit a good tradesman,it takes a bit more time and practice to hone your skills.
If you want to discuss it send me a PM of contact details,it is no good we could tap on the keys for days and still not get to any point.

Regards Frank

Hi Frank I am not really a social butterfly so I probably wont be pm you, I was more hoping to get a thread going where everyone searching the web can find it and learn from it or just take it like a grain of salt and disregard it its all about Freedom of information and at this rate if people keep things hidden to themselves Australia OR (ASIO) wont need to filter us as nobody is willing to share anything anyway :lol: so if anyone can add to this thread please feel free too as I believe Advise is free You don't have to take it on board..... Regards GC

There's the gold refining forums for that. Were unable to share exact details as too many young ones also view this forum, we don't want them to attempt it. It why details on the subject need to be in PM, sowwy. Everytime I tried a similar topic it didn't happen. Look in my topics I've created and you will find these threads. Mostly due to being a family forum the details were hard to mention. Like I said though, there are professional chemist forums too on refining and processes of reverse electrolysis, plating etc

In your case, I'd still probably smelt it in my furnace and let gravity do the work. The refining process would take some time with a large amouny of ores

thedigger said:
Hi GC
It is a bit a good tradesman,it takes a bit more time and practice to hone your skills.

Regards Frank

agreed even from a Noob here
takes time to get good at refining Gold

Look guys I appreciate where you are all coming from as I have 3 children I've my own But you don't see me going down to the school telling the science teacher to stop conducting experiments with them in the classroom and other teachers to stop giving them directions that might give them food for thought and make them creative lol or telling my kids to stop watching you tube :lol: one could go on and on, And this forum I am led to believe as much as it is everyone it is for prospectors and all alike who are wanting to learn not just a place where one can come and Gloat and Float their own boat...

1) Here I will start .. NEVER ADD WATER TO ACID ALWAYS ADD ACID TO THE WATER.... WHY??? because you might get hurt
2) Don't try this at home .. Why??? Because you might get hurt
3) Don't clean things with bleach .. Why??? You might get hurt
4)Don't check battery acid levels in your car .. Why ???? Because you might get hurt
5) Don't put vinegar on your fish and chips.. Why???? Because its an ACID and you might get hurt....

Sorry guys but come on really .. Regards GC :cool:

Hahaha well its all good to declare safety, but if we instruct how to do it on here, I'm sure legally there's some way we can get into trouble, and I think that's where the main reason to tight lips is. I'm on your side and the same with my children too, but its what the majority if the forum has wanted in the past and as calmly as we've tried to talk on the topic, it will always be shut down by complaints of safety. Were on the same boat. But until there's an agreement to claim that were capable of sharing it on this forum, we find it hard to.

My girls are 3 and 6 and perform simple experiments like potassium permanganate color change solutions and my favorite, sulfur dioxide fart bombs. I'd be happy to share info, and others, if we didn't feel this shoulder pushing pressure of something going wrong off information we have personally submitted.

Every bit of text we write could hold a dislamer in every post mabey and state they are liable at thier own risk and to not attempt it.

Yeh Look I totally hear you and I fully understand where you are all coming from and commend you all and perhaps therefore avoiding some parents nightmare as is in their children getting hurt or burnt but I will say I didn't and I don't really care about how to do things with products that are restricted or just plain deadly or even how to make them for that matter e.g. nitric acid, mercury, cyanide or anything that has restrictions I am interested in how to refine with acids that are available to us all as in the general public at any hardware store or pharmacy from off of the shelves, and learn what I am doing wrong or am I doing it the right way.

As for smelting I worked as a thermit welder on the railways for nearly 20yrs and have seen many of things that would and has made grown men cry so when its to who's responsible if they are injured or killed or was it that one was not following instructions correctly that is for another to decide.. unless your directing them with ill intent or illegal acclivity and everything is correctly laid out and they get hurt well the onus is on them I guess and thats the way common law works well so I am led to believe.. quote me if I am wrong
And I am wanting to process large amounts of cons and plan on making a shaker table so I am wanting to learn how to refine a lot of cons not just and handful and to be able to repeat the process over and over without failing as I believe as fine as my rock crusher crushes the rock down it still contains some gold and I want to be told how do you other prospectors recover that gold when they encounter this BRICK wall..... A Simple 1 one would think but it appears that is where I have got to when it comes to hard rock mining...
Regards GC :cool:

GC I am trying to figure you out,every time I read one of your post I become more confused,at what you really want to find out

Regards Frank

Dude, I don't type in broken English so it is quite clear what I seek... God this Place needs a chat room for guys like you pfft... :rolleyes:

Amazing find :) Just a note though, some of these specimens sell for more than they would for the gold in them. Particularly if its an impressive piece so if you stumble upon a really good sample or specimen maybe of museum or gallery quality than hold on to it! Generally economically viable gold deposits range from 0.5 ppm (g/tonne) up. If its a large reserve than 0.5 is viable for the operation but thats when the gold is hosted in an ore probably a VMS, porphyry, epithermal or IOCG type deposit (just to name a few of them). However native gold hosted in quartz-calcite veins like your specimen are much more profitable for the smaller operation. As the gold is epigenetic and you tend to get fragments of it there is no real accurate way to determine the grams per tonnage unless you were to drill it but even then you would just find flakes or nuggets through the vein you obtained it from and you wouldn't be able to accurately represent the whole extent of the potential gold. The best thing is to just keep working on it until it runs dry :) Congratulations again on the amazing specimen find mate!

Flail mill and shaker table is the way to go with the initial sorting, I'd personally then test between results of smelting and aquaregia and see which one yields the best result over 3 - 5 of these tests. You can make the nitric at home in small quantities with patience and simple ingredients. Youtube NurdRage for a brief example on the subject.

If I don't have the choice of aqua regia I'd try and smelt any microscopic particles and let gravity do the work with a good flux mix like mentioned previously but large scale 5kg crucible. Without aqua regia / cyanide you can't extract the gold salts that may be in there and may find it not to be worth the effort.

There's a post on the forum about a new milling technique for ore to extract 99% gold down to microns that you may want to read up on. 'Breakthrough design'

Total newbie at this sort of thing but a few trips ago found half a dozen small species up to a few inches size ( not the gold I wish) broke them up to reveal the gold and will leave them like that but thought I should dolly up the rest and pan it and was quite surprised to find quite a bit of very very fine gold in it. Question is if once crushed to a powder and try to remove as much foreign material as possible will it work trying to melt in crucible
or am I wasting my time. Also think I found a small silver nuggie in it

Bjay said:
Total newbie at this sort of thing but a few trips ago found half a dozen small species up to a few inches size ( not the gold I wish) broke them up to reveal the gold and will leave them like that but thought I should dolly up the rest and pan it and was quite surprised to find quite a bit of very very fine gold in it. Question is if once crushed to a powder and try to remove as much foreign material as possible will it work trying to melt in crucible
or am I wasting my time. Also think I found a small silver nuggie in it
have it run through chemical Process by someone who does that sort of thing
i think melting may cause you too much gold loss
your silver nuggy might just be platinum group metals too ;)

greencheeks77 said:
Yeh Look I totally hear you and I fully understand where you are all coming from and commend you all and perhaps therefore avoiding some parents nightmare as is in their children getting hurt or burnt but I will say I didn't and I don't really care about how to do things with products that are restricted or just plain deadly or even how to make them for that matter e.g. nitric acid, mercury, cyanide or anything that has restrictions I am interested in how to refine with acids that are available to us all as in the general public at any hardware store or pharmacy from off of the shelves, and learn what I am doing wrong or am I doing it the right way.

As for smelting I worked as a thermit welder on the railways for nearly 20yrs and have seen many of things that would and has made grown men cry so when its to who's responsible if they are injured or killed or was it that one was not following instructions correctly that is for another to decide.. unless your directing them with ill intent or illegal acclivity and everything is correctly laid out and they get hurt well the onus is on them I guess and thats the way common law works well so I am led to believe.. quote me if I am wrong
And I am wanting to process large amounts of cons and plan on making a shaker table so I am wanting to learn how to refine a lot of cons not just and handful and to be able to repeat the process over and over without failing as I believe as fine as my rock crusher crushes the rock down it still contains some gold and I want to be told how do you other prospectors recover that gold when they encounter this BRICK wall..... A Simple 1 one would think but it appears that is where I have got to when it comes to hard rock mining...
Regards GC :cool:
as far as chemical goes it may depend on where your situated
but i think there is no restriction on nitric acid (if you have a legit use )
i will PM you greencheecks when im allowed the feature on the forum
cheers Humbolt

Latest posts