Would this be classed as payable gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/890G073e7F0[/video]
Hi Everyone I have crushed up about 20 or 25kg of rock and this was my end result after running it through a sluice and a pan and was hoping someone might give me their thoughts to wether it would be classed as payable gold (as in worth the effort ) and am I wasting valuable sulphides that could be smelted or precipitating with acids to retrieve the invisible gold.. Cheers GC

Looks good mate i would suggest you need to weight your samples as well as your final taly to establish viability. Personally after crushing i use mercury to catch the find gold that cant be seen and on a good sample that can be .1 to .2 of a gram.

If its easy to get then more than 5 grams per tonne is commercialy viable :)

Thanks GD I will do a proper tally next time with the correct weights so I can figure that out, as for mercury I have often thought about it but have no idea where to find it any suggestions where one might find it and do you need a special permit or licence to use it, I personally have precipitated gold using bleach and vinegar and did end up with a tiny bead of gold but it was mixed results as the ph would fluctuate to much so I think if I could learn how to use mercury correctly it would be a much better way of getting the gold.. cheers GC

Cant help with sourcing mercury mate its hard to come by and recover but well worth the return if crushing ore.

greencheeks77 said:
[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/890G073e7F0[/video]
Hi Everyone I have crushed up about 20 or 25kg of rock and this was my end result after running it through a sluice and a pan and was hoping someone might give me their thoughts to wether it would be classed as payable gold (as in worth the effort ) and am I wasting valuable sulphides that could be smelted or precipitating with acids to retrieve the invisible gold.. Cheers GC

Was the quartz scanned with a detector or did u just crush any type of quartz?

Thanks yippe the quartz was from an old pile witch appeared to have been left behind by the old fella's though the pile did consist of mainly schist wall rock that had some quartz runners in it, as for the detector I personally haven't though I believe ol'mate did and he did tell me he found nothing there ;) and that was with a 5000 though I did take a couple of pans from the pile b4 I crushed and I found a few nice little crunchies... I have spent a lot of time looking at quartz under the microscope and believe I can distinguish between gold bearing quartz and quartz that has no gold so that does help me when I am just walking around prospecting for good rock.. regards GC

Time to build a small hammer mill me thinks.
I have a similar situation of about 500 tons of gold bearing ore sitting at grass level that the old
timers could not process.
The ore is of good gold content. The old fellers left it as it was to hard to process
due to a lack of water and geographic location to a stamper. :D

:lol: That is pretty impressive HTY if I found stone like that I would be pretty stoked judging by what I see I would say I have to lift my game a lot in fact ;) thanks heaps for your post it defiantly tells me I am in the wrong spot .. cheers GC

I cant say that I have ever found that much gold by far though I do love to prospect I do tend to wonder off and find a hole to explore and in one of the old shafts there was visible gold in the quartz like you show in the pictures but it was way to unsafe to start tapping around and ol'mate wasn't to keen on being down there. maybe the next mine I explore might be the winning one.

greencheeks77 said:
I cant say that I have ever found that much gold by far though I do love to prospect I do tend to wonder off and find a hole to explore and in one of the old shafts there was visible gold in the quartz like you show in the pictures but it was way to unsafe to start tapping around and ol'mate wasn't to keen on being down there. maybe the next mine I explore might be the winning one.

ive been down over 300 different mines only 6 out of 30 that ive sampled I consider payable but you have to know rock mechanics and where to sample without the roof falling in on you I always take samples from the walls never take them from the roof and don't just sample the one quartz reef you see either if there's many that cross each other like stock work formation then try and sample all if you can but don't get your samples mixed up put samples in bags and number them as you go along

haha yeh 3 grams per kg is very profitable stone :) don't be put off by extremes greencheeks77, 5 grams per tonne is commercially viable especially if its easy to get to. an ounce pert tonne 500 feet down is not as good as 10 grams per tonne at 15 feet.

If you're quartz is laying around all the better.

Haha yeh I agree GOlddigg@ 3 grams per kg would be great stone but it does look rather impressive to see the gold poking from the quartz in HTY pics leaving one with an empty feeling of inadequacies :lol: None the less I will press on :rolleyes: I am always been told an reminded that sometimes less is more.. lol took me a while, though I do understand the logic now.. ;)

I always say pick one type of prospecting and get really good at it, HTY has dedicated a lot of his time to mines and hard rock and he results speak for themselves.

I mostly put time in panning and highbanking my ounces but i have to say these days while i know where i cna go get a few grams i'm more inclined to go for a pan and try to find a new pay streak.... its the finding that i'm into :) most of my mates want to mine all my spots... causes the odd argument

Looks worth the effort to me mate, looks similar to some rock in piles I found on my last trip which another had also been interested in. I recon ill go collect some next time I'm there.

Well, the gold isn't going to dissapear if there is auriferous traces within the rock still so keep you panned material. I've kept all sorts of 'ore' for further testing when I've got more chemicals.

If youd like to know, feel free to pm and I can supply some info on chemical processes.

Thanks AR for the reassurance :D I am always up for learning new things so don't be surprised if I take you up on that pm one day :lol: Even a good flux mix is very hard if not impossible to come by, that is one that will leave gold and iron separated in the crucible when smelting so if anyone ones got a proven recipe I would be very grateful to get my hands on it :) Cheers GC

Borax works well as a cheap substitute, the different weights of the metals will seperate the majority of it through gravity. Dont know about cheap substitues but I know there's a few choices of proffessional fluxes. Mostly containing a feldspar I'm pretty sure by memory

Latest posts