You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Chuky boy
03 November 2015 08:50 pm

Hi all just wondering how long should I let my nuggets soak in bricky's cleaner?

Running 5000 and 11 elite

Chewy
03 November 2015 09:05 pm

WHAT? OMG! get em out of there before you burn them. Oh wait I'm with ya now. Lol my bad Chuky boy. Lol

Here gold gold gold gold.

6 users like this post: Digger Danny, Bacchus, silver, Chuky boy, SCROUNGER, aussiefarmer

Bacchus
03 November 2015 09:10 pm

Chuky boy wrote:

Hi all just wondering how long should I let my nuggets soak in bricky's cleaner?

Need to give them a scrub with a toothbrush in fresh water every 24 hrs Chucky then back in the acid until all the ironstone is gone seems to give the best results

Cheers

Minelab SDC 2300 and GPX 4500

1 user likes this post: Chuky boy

Chuky boy
04 November 2015 06:39 am

Chewy wrote:

WHAT? OMG! get em out of there before you burn them. Oh wait I'm with ya now. Lol my bad Chuky boy. Lol

Haha chewy

Chuky boy
04 November 2015 06:39 am

Bacchus wrote:
Chuky boy wrote:

Need to give them a scrub with a toothbrush in fresh water every 24 hrs Chucky then back in the acid until all the ironstone is gone seems to give the best results

Cheers

Thanks Bacchus I'll give it a go.

Jay44
18 November 2015 06:51 pm

What about cleaning them in Coke?

Alpha and Omega the Beggining and the End!!

aussiefarmer
18 November 2015 07:15 pm

has anyone tried popping them in the dishwasher ?

Wish in one hand and poo in the other , See which one fills up first !

1 user likes this post: Chuky boy

AussieGamer_Ben
20 December 2015 12:56 am

what is the best solution to clean nuggets.

Crowley's Outdoor Adventures on youtube. goldirocks highbanker.

mbasko
20 December 2015 02:37 am

The best way is to start with just a soak in warm, soapy water & if needed a bit of a scrub with an old toothbrush. Don't borrow the missus's lol Next level up I would get an ultrasonic cleaner if you want a bit more bling or to get the dirt out even the toothbrush will miss.
You don't really need to use solutions as such on most or not that I have found anyway. Keep it simple first off. I always just soak them first & if ok leave it at that. A lot don't even make it into the ultrasonic cleaner let alone into any type of solution.

If you've got some with more stubborn inclusions like some quartz/ironstone then alibrite or brickies acid, as above, can do the trick. Read the label & play safe with acid big_smile

Everything we use comes from mining or farming.

2 users like this post: Chuky boy, silver

Brumble-Gum
20 December 2015 06:47 am

Not nuggets but any specimens that have most or all of the gold inside, I pop into Alibrite for a few months. I use a beetroot tuperware container with the sieve/basket inside its easy to lift up and see how the digestion process is going. In a well ventilated area, always use chemical rubber gloves and clear safety glasses at all times, wash your hands and arms after. **** Do not use a glass containers to hold Alibrite as glass is made from silica and will eventually be eaten through by the acid. Its an Aluminum mag wheel cleaner from Supercheap Auto.
Once the gold has been released from inside the rock I transfer to another container (Non silica) and heap bicarb soda with water onto whatever remains for two days. then you simply flood with water for 10 minutes. Then after months of waiting you can see what your gold looks like from inside the specimen.
Any specimens that I find that have the gold already showing I keep instead of popping into an acid bath. These look good and shouldn't be destroyed.
Please be safe when playing with any acids if in doubt , scrub or wash your self. Alibrite contains Hydroflouric acid this dissolves calcium and silica to get the gold out of the specimen. When applied to the human body it dissolves the calcium in your bones making them brittle and easily broken. A course of calcium injections for the rest of your life doesn't sound good. So play safe with all acids.

Last edited by Brumble-Gum (20 December 2015 06:58 am)

Walbanker, Bazooka Gold Sluice.
Makro Gold Racer.

2 users like this post: silver, Spyhunter

mfdes
20 December 2015 08:31 am

Brumble-Gum wrote:

... Alibrite contains Hydroflouric acid this dissolves calcium and silica to get the gold out of the specimen. When applied to the human body it dissolves the calcium in your bones making them brittle and easily broken. A course of calcium injections for the rest of your life doesn't sound good. So play safe with all acids.

Just to add to this, while Alibrite is not as bad as concentrated hydrofluoric, it still contains some. Hydrofluoric acid will take up the calcium in your blood and throw your blood chemistry out of balance, it can kill you much more quickly than by making your bones brittle. Still, I reckon Alibrite is safe if used carefully.

SDC 2300. Tasmanian mad about sapphires and gold.
Check out my blog about prospecting in Tasmania: http://www.appleisleprospector.com/

2 users like this post: Brumble-Gum, silver

jonesy76
06 October 2016 07:46 pm

I have actually used a sonic cleaner for cleaning bullet brass but use the jewellery cleaner and works fine.

Nightjar
06 October 2016 08:01 pm

aussiefarmer wrote:

has anyone tried popping them in the dishwasher ?

Hahahhaah This brings back some unpleasant memories.
Not cleaning gold but old bottles.
Dishwashers hadn't been on the market long and thought what a great way this would be to clean up a swag of early bottles.
They came out very clean but all the red dirt didn't clear the washer, heavy and settled in the pump & filter.
Complete strip down of washer to clean it out.
Took years to earn back a few brownie points.

Happy Hunting, Nightjar.

1 user likes this post: Spyhunter
Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site