Victorian Gemstones - types and locations

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G0lddigg@

Dustin
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Got this out of an old publication very happy that Daylesford does have rubies got something to chase down there 8)
1370426399_rocks.jpg

does australia have any gem quality diamonds ?

i recall kimberley resources had a big pipe in the top end somewhere years ago but i think they were all small industrial grade ?

Argyle is one of the worlds largest producers. They supply over 20 million carats per year. Every state has produced gem quality diamonds only not in big enough numbers to mine them commercially.

Cheers Wal,

WalnLiz said:
Argyle is one of the worlds largest producers. They supply over 20 million carats per year. Every state has produced gem quality diamonds only not in big enough numbers to mine them commercially.

Cheers Wal,

:D hmm , maybe i should include a trap on my HB like you do ?

~ diamonds you say ? 8)

HeadsUp said:
does australia have any gem quality diamonds ?

They did mine & dredge for diamonds + gold near the Cudgegong River & Wialdra Creek junction close to Gulgong/Mudgee NSW. As the diamonds & gold started to peter out it become more unfeasible to continue but the old-timers, being resilient, kept trying until a big flood (1930's from memory) eventually washed away a lot of their plant/equipment & it was never started again.

"In 1867, Gold Miners working a deep-lead, near the junction of Reedy (now Wyaldra) Creek with the Cudgegong River, recovered over 2,500 Diamonds in the first 2 years, this was probably the first notable Diamond find in Australia.
In later mining, a further 3,000 Diamonds were recovered, the largest stones found were one weighing over 5.6 carats and another of 3.25 carats
." From A Short History of Diamonds in Australia - Their discovery and mining Garry Gatfield

There were also some diamond/gold mines around two mile flat, on the Cudgegong towards Goolma & some other mines around the area listed as finding diamond with the gold. I believe these were fairly deep & found in ancient river bed deposits under basalt capping.
From reading old records etc. it was fairly hard going to make a quid from as the basalt was thick & they weren't big in size.
There has also been a number of other gemstones found in the region including ruby & sapphire. I think the first Australian sapphire was found in the Cudgegong in 1851 as a by product of gold panning.
Diamonds have also been found in other creeks around the area but again not in big numbers viable for mining.
I haven't heard of anyone around here finding much at all these days - for that matter I have never seen anyone on the Cudgegong panning, highbanking etc. although I have tested a couple of spots & got a few tiny specks of gold & some clear quartz. Could be something still about in the right spot - ya never know?

A few years back I read about a "Pipe Diamond" mine being opened in Bathurst.
Don't know if it ever did or not. Supposedly there are a lot of alluvial diamonds
in NSW.

Hunting the yellow said:
hi adam i got one ill lend you or just tell me what you want and ill copy it ill ask the book owner first too

Cheers Sim. Interested in that picture from the first post in this thread of the table of gemstones and locations, its just a wee bit too small for me to read, be interested to see what areas had \ have what!

Adam

Elbowgrease if you hit control on your keyboard and have a mouse with a center scroll ball (most mice have them) between the two buttons scroll it and the page will be come bigger or smaller depending on which way you scroll... should help to read it.

I am very interested in occurrences in Berwick and Pakenham has anyone got some details they could share. Golddigg does this publication have any information on the finds in this area.

hey elbowgrease its the 12 edit5ion of the victorian prospectors handbook first published 1894 copy i ahve is from 2009 ripper book heaps of words i cant remember or pronounce :)

elbowgrease said:
G0lddigg@ said:
Got this out of an old publication very happy that Daylesford does have rubies got something to chase down there 8)
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/357/1370426399_rocks.jpg

Don't suppose you'd be willing to share the name of that book by any chance?

Cheers
Adam

Latest posts