Glenelg River washup

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Spent friday through sunday last fishing the Glenelg River down at nelson on the Vic/SA border with lures and flies chasing basically anything that swam. There are plenty of fish in the river but they are widespread.
1445246346_img_3455.jpg

There seem to be good numbers of smaller 500mm Mulloway about and a few were taken on hardbody lures up higher in the system.
1445246444_img_3443.jpg

The baities were getting numerous 42cm+ plus bream mostly on cut and live crab but i was struggling taking them on lures. the one shown was one of the few exceptions.
1445246573_img_4203.jpeg

We were fishing out of a boat which allowed us to search about and try and locate fish but ispoke to a number of anglers who were getting bream and Mulloway on baits from the numerous jetties, especially up around Saplings.
1445246684_img_2400.jpg

We managed to get a few small EPs on lures and fly but the bigger fish eluded us.
1445246742_img_3416.jpg

All up it was a great weekend, i got a bit sunburnt, had a few beers with Chewy who drove over from MtGambier and said hello, and i finally took a slightly mulloway of just over 700mm to cap off the weekend.
1445246889_img_2435.jpg

For those that can manage it, i can highly recommend fishing the Glenelg. It's a great river offering some stunning scenery, terrific boating and kayaking and great wilderness fishing.

Great, forget my other post, this answers it ...... would you believe about 30 odd years ago we considered buying the General Store there, always been a special place.
Used to stay up at Sandy Waterholes many years ago.
Cheers T.

Teemore said:
Great, forget my other post, this answers it ...... would you believe about 30 odd years ago we considered buying the General Store there, always been a special place.
Used to stay up at Sandy Waterholes many years ago.
Cheers T.
Good little business that store mate. Do you ever regret not going down that path?

For those old enough to know the name Del Shannon, he had a place at Nelson a few years before he died. I poo you not. Thats fair dinks. Was good to catch up again Scrounger. Great report mate. I'll keep an ear out for any action down there from the locals. :)

Your spot on mate, it is a great river. Apart for that Donovans section :p Just kidding fellas :D it's strange how it's the only section of the river where you hear the distant serenade of plucking of banjos?? :eek: ;)
Good to see you got onto all three species SCROUNGER, you did well. Black bream make for great photos I reckon.
Thanks for putting up the pics. I'm looking forward to havin a flick over summer even more now :)
Wouldn't mind getting back down that way again. It's a nice spot with great fishing and a bit more peaceful than Lakes Entrance over Christmas 8)

SCROUNGER said:
Do you ever regret not going down that path?

Try not to have any regrets about most things, kids were too important at the time, career at Ford $$$$'s .... but it was when fishing was my major passion.
Strange but turns out a friend my wife knows ended up running it for quite a few years.
Hey Chewy, Interesting fact about Del Shannon being down that way.
Cheers T.

NeoGeo said:
Your spot on mate, it is a great river. Apart for that Donovans section :p Just kidding fellas :D it's strange how it's the only section of the river where you hear the distant serenade of plucking of banjos?? :eek: ;)
Good to see you got onto all three species SCROUNGER, you did well. Black bream make for great photos I reckon.
Thanks for putting up the pics. I'm looking forward to havin a flick over summer even more now :)
Wouldn't mind getting back down that way again. It's a nice spot with great fishing and a bit more peaceful than Lakes Entrance over Christmas 8)
The manager of the caravan park along the river reckons they've got 800 people booked in for new years eve. So perhaps not that different :lol:

SCROUNGER said:
NeoGeo said:
The manager of the caravan park along the river reckons they've got 800 people booked in for new years eve. So perhaps not that different :lol:

I just read some Victorian coastal towns grow by 1400% over Christmas 8) and LE gets to around 25,000 :/ Where I go, there's usually around 10 families. I stay well clear of all towns when camping. Bait and an ice cream for my kids is usually the only thing I go into the nearest small town for. Its heaven :D

NeoGeo said:
Chewy said:
Lol yep they have had a bit of action a while back to, of the wrong kind. https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...nH4AjNNFdyEhw92lg&sig2=DN6I5T99YCTINd6yRm3Lpw

That's a crazy story, MG has its issues clearly. The part with the fisherman is what I sometimes wonder about when tucked away out of sight camping? Imagine waking up to that :eek:

That stuff is BAD and it's gunna get worse in the future.
Yeah crazy stuff for sure. This was a huge story locally. It was unreal reading about it and how it all unfolded. To close to home.

G'day Scrounger and great report , given me the itch to get down there. Did you give any softies a run ? Have found Squidgy drop bear and blood worm very effective down that neck of the woods :)

Cheers

Bacchus said:
G'day Scrounger and great report , given me the itch to get down there. Did you give any softies a run ? Have found Squidgy drop bear and blood worm very effective down that neck of the woods :)

Cheers
You should get back down there mate, it really is a special area imo. Chap that was with me was using 'softs' so i stuck with hardbodies and flies. He didn't do much good but he's exclusively a flyfisher so was a bit out of his depth getting the hang of casting and using SPs. I normally use soft plastics more on the mulloway down around the town/bridge end and hardbodies up river, but that's more to do with my preferances rather than one being better than the other in any area. I'm a big fan of paddletails in white colourings with a black spot on the flanks when chasing mulloway. The photo of me holding a mulloway with the lure in its mouth has similar colourings to what i like using in SPs. Good luck and let us know how you get on if you get back down there :)

Latest posts