Fishing in Goldfields

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterau

Peter
Reaction score
Hi All, I am staying in Maryborough for the next month or so and was wondering where the best chance of catching a feed of fish in the goldfield areas might be. Any help and tips would be greatly appreciated.

peterau

Hi peterau, normally i would suggest fishing Cairn Curran Reservoir which is about 20 Ks east of Maryborough but it is seriously at risk of having virtually no water soon the way it's going. It is a mixed fishery with trout, reddies and yellowbelly but it gets a hammering from water skiers at this time of year as well which makes it a less than relaxing water to fish at times.
Tullaroop Reservoir also to your east but on the southern side of the Sunraysia Highway has been producing some big trout but will mostly have reddies feeding for the next few months till the weather drops again. No boats allowed, Fishing baits or lures around the water tower on the east side of the wall area is a good spot and parking not far away.
Laancoorie Reservoir about 25 Ks to your north is a popular reddy water but i haven't seen it recently regards water levels.
Goldfields Reservoir in Maryborough itself on the road out to Talbot (C287) has yellowbelly and is worth a visit because it's so handy.
There are plenty of other waters around but most do require a bit more driving to access.
Hope this helps. Good luck and have a great trip.

SCROUNGER thanks for all the great info, will try my way around them. Will give me a break from chasing colour. Thanks again peterau

The Loddon River holds reddies, yellowbelly and cod.
Use local bait, preferably worms, yabbies dug/caught on site.
Or spinner baits and works the banks and dead treets etc.

1445298887_20120702_130739.jpg

Hi Redfin, thanks for the info. is the fishing better above or below the reservoir or makes no difference. thanks for your help.

Not sure about below, I have always fished between Newbridge and Serpentine.
Can always get a feed of reddies at daybreak or late arvo in the weir near the second bridge.

1445383658_capture.jpg

G'day all I was thinking of going over to Maldon way in a months time and wounding if there is anywhere nearby worth dropping a line in ?

1499863958_screenshot_20170712-224046.jpg
R0dney said:
G'day all I was thinking of going over to Maldon way in a months time and wounding if there is anywhere nearby worth dropping a line in ?

The London River that feeds Lake Cain Curran Reservoir if you've got a boat it'll be easier to cover all area's. Cray season is open not sure if these areas are exempt you'll need to do your homework.
1499863790_screenshot_20170712-223722.jpg
1499863981_screenshot_20170712-223959.jpg
1499864003_screenshot_20170712-223641.jpg

Latest posts