Gold bearing rock types

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

New to this forum so hello to everyone!

I recently went on a prospecting trip with a few mates and we stumbled across a nice looking quartz vein. More by accident than anything else. The rock was completely unassuming just looking at it but my mate happened to give it a good wack with a rock hammer revealing the underlying quartz.

We have crushed up a small sample but didn't see any free mill gold. I am wondering if someone might be able to tell us what it is.

Also is it worth digging the rest of it out and sampling again?

1445164755_quartz1.jpg

1445164755_quartz2.jpg

Only if it has other signs like pyrites or sulfur ..etc nearby

Depends where you found it. Read the gold history on the area and see if they were digging alluvial or reef gold

Looks good to me do a few more test you might get lucky. Gold can be patchy and tend to concentrate in certain areas along the quartz vein with barren areas so test in a number of spots too. the highest concentration of gold should be on the outer edges of the vein.

There are specs of shiny stuff in it. not sure what it is but it's def not pyrite! it looks silvery but some also looks like small specs of gold under 10 x magnification. both alluvial and reef gold in the area!

Latest posts