blackmore river NT

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ent for a swing, dig and pan, with some small success today, then went 4x4ing in some pretty good country. Found a few spots that look like they have never been fished, saw some nice archerfish and sooty grunter there, and the place screams barra! (And crocs) will give it a good poppering at night next week, let you know how I go, how good is that, detecting and panning about 1km away from great looking barra water.

Sounds like paradise up there mate....watch out for those snapping hand bags while chucking those poppers at night. ;) Look forward to reading the outcome.

Wal.

davent said:
Ent for a swing, dig and pan, with some small success today, then went 4x4ing in some pretty good country. Found a few spots that look like they have never been fished, saw some nice archerfish and sooty grunter there, and the place screams barra! (And crocs) will give it a good poppering at night next week, let you know how I go, how good is that, detecting and panning about 1km away from great looking barra water.
Throw some surface poppers at those Sooties mate and hang on. After barras and jacks they are the best sporting fish in the northern rivers imo. Look forward to the pics and watch out for those floating logs... they bite :lol:

Digging and Panning Banned around these! :eek:
1444957216_img_0553.jpg

Thanks for the warnings!
I was a fishing guide, thats what bought me to the NT 16 years ago, love sootys, and they are not bad esting either, put them on the coals black fella style, no cleaning at all. The gut shrivels up into a ball, and you peel the skin and scales back. They are great done like this.
Love catching barras on poppers, favorite way to fish.

davent said:
Thanks for the warnings!
I was a fishing guide, thats what bought me to the NT 16 years ago, love sootys, and they are not bad esting either, put them on the coals black fella style, no cleaning at all. The gut shrivels up into a ball, and you peel the skin and scales back. They are great done like this.
Love catching barras on poppers, favorite way to fish.
Now you've got me keen davent. Barras on poppers, yeah baby :lol: Never done that. After trout on flies in mountain streams, barra in mangrove creeks are my number 2 fish to target. I absolutely love they way they will just hang there and often crunch your offering after a number of casts because they've been worked up and become aggressive, and you can watch the whole thing, and then they get airborne, more yeah baby :lol: And they look absolutely beautiful, the perfect hunting machine.
Never eaten sooties, but look forward to trying them next time i'm up north.
Thanks for posting davent.

Latest posts