Snowy Mountains update

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've just got home from a weeklong filming/fishing trip to the Snowies and thought a few members may be interested if heading up that way.
There was a large high pressure system sitting over the area for most of the week which gave us hot weather and mostly calm waters. The fishing was tough and the two of us that were fishing were putting in 14+ hour days to catch enough fish for the camera. We fished for three days when filming and another day filming with no fishing and then i had two free days fishing. All up we caught about four fish each per day, missed as many and lost as many again. We had two days casting and trolling lures in Jindabyne and one day lure fishing the Thredbo River.
I can't post images of the fish we caught when filming because i was fishing, but i have posted a few shots below from my free fishing days.
Lake Eucumbene is fishing the best with trout feeding on frogs and worms over the shallows in the slowly rising waters. Lake jindabyne is high and has come up too quickly in my opinion and has left the trout and weedbeds down deep. There are some big brownies feeding over the yabby beds but you have to fish hard. There are good numbers of some very big fish in the lower Thredbo River but very few fish upriver around the skitube and Diggings area.
If you're heading up that way fishing baits, fly or lures i'd recommend the frying pan arm or Buckenderra areas of Eucumbene for the best results. Good luck.
1444631088_img_3364.jpg

Lower Thredbo River
1444631134_img_3368.jpg
Frying Pan Arm-lake eucumbene
1444631191_img_5065.jpg
Brownie on a Wooly Bugger from Eucumbene
1444631247_img_1881.jpg
Lake Tantangara rainbow
1444631286_img_1894.jpg
tantangara Reservoir
1444631348_img_3377.jpg
Flooded gutter where trout were working- Lake Eucumbene Buckenderra Arm

Thanks all, yep beautiful country, my wife and i lived up there for a year or so and love it every time i go back. Biggest fish we caught was about 5 pounds Atom. We lost a couple that may have been similar size but nothing really any bigger than that.

Magilla said:
Nice way to spend a week, were most fish taken on wet flies? Those photos give me itchy feet.
No, the only fish taken on flies were by me on my private fishing days mate. They are the fish in the pics above. The filming days were all lure based fishing, either casting from the boat or trolling, or lure casting the river.
Usually i fish flies (wet or dry) when i'm fishing for my own fun as opposed to fishing for a film clip which usually requires using a sponsors gear and rarely involves fly tackle.

Great photos and report SCROUNGER. You got the life mate. I know fishing for a job kinda takes the fun out of it, but sh#t. Working out there, with that scenery sure beats factory work IMO. Thank for posting those sweet photos. I'm gunna try get up to the Thredbo this year around closing weekend. Some great fishing and photos to be had.
Thanks for sharing :D

You're welcome mate. Yeah, it is pretty good life i'll give you that, but tough when you've got an expensive cameraman standing around waiting for you to catch fish and they aren't responding. :lol: The Eucumbene River around Providnce is always interesting in May if the fish are running and usually easier fishing than the Thredbo.

I think your right. I was thinking of the Eucumbene River. I wouldn't mind experiencing that river around May. Neither would my kids :D

I usually do a trip in May each year, sometimes it's good, sometimes is mind boggling, sometimes not so good depending on rainfall bringing the fish up the river. But if the river isn't fishing well you can always catch fish in the lake so it's never a wasted trip. And it's a magic place even without a fishing rod in your hand. :)

Teemore said:
Nice effort Scrounger, love the report and photos.
Now, enough of the fun and frivolity ...... get out there and find some (more) of the yellow stuff.
Cheers T.
Heading down to fish the Glenelg River this friday and weekend Mr Teemore, but should be back out chasing yellow week after. We should catch up for a detect hey?

Bacchus said:
Great share Scrounger , would love to see the footage one day :)
Some will be on the BCF website and others on the AFN TV show Bacchus, but i can't say when mate because that's beyond my pay grade :p

Latest posts