Bounty Hunter Platinum information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've had the Tracker IV for sometime and, want to stick BH detectors. I was thinking about upgrading to a Platinum, can anyone provide some feedback? Also, where can I purchase one, if I decided to buy, here in Australia?
Cheers

Thanks Goldpick. I'll read up a bit more more on the Gamma and other detectors by teknetics. As said in the reviews they're pretty much the same. Cheers for that info.

Hi all,

Can anyone give some advice or knowledge in regards to the BH Platinum? I am new to prospecting and not exactly sure what to be looking for in a metal detector....

Cheers

Tasprospector said:
Hi all,

Can anyone give some advice or knowledge in regards to the BH Platinum? I am new to prospecting and not exactly sure what to be looking for in a metal detector....

Firstly, welcome aboard.

Secondly, the BH Platinum is a 7.8kHz VLF detector, which makes it totally unsuitable for prospecting use here in Australia - don't waste your money. Also, as Bounty Hunter has always been a very minor brand here, if you later wished to resell it, you would struggle to get back anything like what you paid for it.

If you don't want to pay a lot the new Nokta/Macro Simplex may be the go. It's 12khz Totally waterproof to 5 metres. And its basic menu system is extremely easy to use. 4 programs to cover all applications preset for you. And all for under $500 aud. Bargain. And when you wish to go to a more advanced machine it should be easy to resell. :D

Thanks guys, happy to spend around $1k. I will mainly be out in bushy areas looking for gold mainly. Any ideas on brands for that sort of use?

Gold Bug pro is a very sensitive machine for nugget hunting. Orrrrr. You could go for a second hand minelab SD or GP model or a Whites TDI. These are Pulse induction machines and will go deeper than the gold bug which is VLF. All the PI machines would be used re your budget.

Dr.Duck is correct. Both good choices too. One thing though. Pulse machines do handle our mineralized ground better than VLF machines. Also handle hot rocks better. :playful:

Thanks guys for all this info! There seems to be a lot of things to consider and not as simple as run any machine over the ground. Is there a thread that explains all this stuff in detail? Ie difference between VLF and PI, or even how different frequencies effect what kind of metal you are going to detect (nugget or smaller stuff). Looks like I will be reading up for a while :playful:

Join the PMAT (Tas prospectors and miners assoc) and come to one of our field trips, if we're ever allowed to have them again, and you'll be able to talk to people that have used all types in local conditions.

Dave has hit the nail on the head. I'd do what he says. You can't beat talking a heap of users face to face. Good one Dave.! Hopefully it wont be too long before such things can happen again. :)

Latest posts